A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:56:55 am
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Shootings the last six months  (Read 144988 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

Second, we keep going down this road on restrictions to magazines, or handles, or flash suppressors, or plastic grips.  None of which have anything at all to do with crazy people getting guns and shooting kids.  So to say that "reasonable minds will settle this debate" is actually quite true.  Reason is necessary to look at these tragedies as well as other current and historical statistics from a logical standpoint and deduct the cause, and therefore remedies for such gun violence.

I see what you did there, lumping in a reasonable restriction with the stupid ones to make it sound stupid. Magazine capacity limits are perfectly reasonable.

H, I'm not quite sure what your objection to holding liability insurance on your weapons is? Could save your donkey if some jackass steals one of your guns and shoots someone with it. Much like your auto policy will save your donkey if some jackass steals your car and injures someone with it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »

I see what you did there, lumping in a reasonable restriction with the stupid ones to make it sound stupid. Magazine capacity limits are perfectly reasonable.

H, I'm not quite sure what your objection to holding liability insurance on your weapons is? Could save your donkey if some jackass steals one of your guns and shoots someone with it. Much like your auto policy will save your donkey if some jackass steals your car and injures someone with it.

You should probably go back and read the text of the assault weapons ban. Never mind.  I'll provide it so that you don't have to use the Google.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »

and. . .to address your other question.  NRA members can purchase Self-Defense Coverage policies.  They are inexpensive and exactly what you are indicating.  They are not a bad addition to anyone's insurance portfolio.

I'm not quite sure whey you think I/we/others "object" to that.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »

How many laws were broken in commission of the slaughter at Sandy Hook?

None of those laws, including Connecticut's assault weapon ban prevented this tragedy from happening.  The only possible intervention which could have prevented this from happening, aside from sitting on Adam Lanza's head 24 hours a day, would have been armed resistance.

No one bats an eyelash when it's announced 1500 or so national guardsmen, state police, and auxiliary officers will be added to the streets in and around New Orleans to protect people in town for the Super Bowl.  Why does it seem hard to digest when it's suggested that our children should have beefed up protection?

It is truly sad it has come to this in 2013 America, but that is your best chance at thwarting the next Sandy Hook from happening.  Intelligent discussion is going to have to revolve around better security for schools in our nation, otherwise a raft of new laws is pretty meaningless as the next Lanza, Klebold, Harris, et. al. won't allow the law to deter their evil intentions.  It's not a matter of if it will happen again, it's a matter of when.  If children are no longer defenseless because there is now armed security protecting them, they will cease to be an easy target.

We've learned a lot since Columbine, it's simply a matter of redesigning access points to school facilities, properly training guards, there's even an easy to apply film which is bullet proof which can economically be placed on windows. 

Yes the government is stretched beyond it's means. Maybe it's time to look at priorities. One of the stated and expected functions of government is security.  I'm sure there's plenty of other less important things government can cease funding to make sure every child has a safe environment to learn in.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

You should probably go back and read the text of the assault weapons ban.

Why would I care about an asinine plan that was never under serious reconsideration after it expired the first time? As far as insurance goes, there are a lot of folks that were unhappy with the idea of mandatory liability insurance.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2013, 03:14:03 pm »

Why would I care about an asinine plan that was never under serious reconsideration after it expired the first time? As far as insurance goes, there are a lot of folks that were unhappy with the idea of mandatory liability insurance.

I completely understand that you like to argue for the sake of argument, but I seem to remember you saying somthing like:
I see what you did there, lumping in a reasonable restriction with the stupid ones to make it sound stupid.

Oh, yeah it was just up there above my reply.  The previous assault weapons ban was just that.  The new assault weapons ban introduced in the senate by Deloris Umberidge Diane Feinstein is identical with the exception of a few functional and cosmetic additions. http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=9a9270d5-ce4d-49fb-9b2f-69e69f517fb4

Feinstein wants a proclamation to ban guns.  She has for decades.  Reinstating the ban simply gets her closer to her goal.  It has nothing to do with preventing incidents like Sandy Hook or even stopping Voldemort.  It has everything to do with finishing what she attempted to start decades before Harry Potter enrolled in Hogwarts!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:56:16 pm by Gaspar » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:40 pm »

And how much support did Feinstein get? Oh, right, almost none. So why are you still bringing up that straw woman?

Magazine capacity limits and banning pistol grips on rifles are two completely different things.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »

And how much support did Feinstein get? Oh, right, almost none. So why are you still bringing up that straw woman?

Magazine capacity limits and banning pistol grips on rifles are two completely different things.

Neither of which will see the light of day in the Senate.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2013, 11:38:32 am »

Everyone knows criminals don't buy there guns at the gun show or register them. They steal them from people who do. So, go ahead and get that grenade launching rifle. It will soon be on the street.

That made this Whirled blog stand out like a sore thumb:

At the first day of a preliminary hearing , prosecutors tracked the gun from its manufacturer in Austria to rural Okfuskee County.
It went to the Baltimore Police Department, back to the company, to an Okemah gun store, sold to a sheriff’s deputy, traded with a reserve deputy and sold to another police officer.
That officer, John Woods, testified he sold the gun for $300 to Sweat, who was working at the Henryetta McDonald’s drive through when the two met.
When originally questioned, Woods could not recall the name of the man to whom he sold the gun.
Prosecutors say that gun killed 13-year-old Taylor Paschal-Placker and 11-year-old Skyla Whitaker, both of Weleetka.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:52 pm »

Martin Luther King Jr. High School coach shoots attackers

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/man-shot-near-martin-luther-king-jr-high-school-in-detroit

Police sources say the coach was walking the two girls to their cars when two men allegedly approached and one pulled out a gun and grabbed him by his chain necklace. The coach then pulled out his gun and shot both of them, according to sources.

good guy
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2013, 08:49:41 am »

And exactly how is a grip style gonna make any difference to anything?  Gonna keep someone from holding a gun so it can't be shot at people but can a coyote?   

Magazine limits - well, those are many times self limiting.  There was a discussion recently about a long magazine hanging up, dropped and grabbed by a woman, stopping the re-loading...Loughner??  Can't remember the details, but the impression was that the previous magazine still had cartridges and had some issue feeding the chamber.  That's why I use 20 round at a maximum - I have had enough experience with them to know the ones I have are dependable enough for self-defense use, and give me good performance when shooting targets or small game.  The 30 round I bought recently was a political statement - don't see ever using that for anything but casual target practice - never a serious shoot.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »

And exactly how is a grip style gonna make any difference to anything?

It isn't, which is why I don't support such restrictions. Magazine capacity, on the other hand, can make a difference.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »

It isn't, which is why I don't support such restrictions. Magazine capacity, on the other hand, can make a difference.

No, it doesn't.  A bag full of 20's or 10's is just as lethal.  Even 7's or 5's if the person is even just mildly proficient can be just as deadly.  It ain't  the gun.  It ain't the magazine.  It's the person behind it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #448 on: February 06, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »

No, it doesn't.  A bag full of 20's or 10's is just as lethal.  Even 7's or 5's if the person is even just mildly proficient can be just as deadly.  It ain't  the gun.  It ain't the magazine.  It's the person behind it.

Most people don't aim too well, even those who are required to undergo regular training. Regardless, a crack shot with two (or twenty) 7 round clips will have the opportunity to kill fewer people than a crack shot with two (or twenty) 20 round clips. Once he/she is out, all he/she has is a really short club. Will it stop murders? No. Will it make it harder to take out a bunch of people at once? Why yes, yes it will.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #449 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »

Most people don't aim too well, even those who are required to undergo regular training. Regardless, a crack shot with two (or twenty) 7 round clips will have the opportunity to kill fewer people than a crack shot with two (or twenty) 20 round clips. Once he/she is out, all he/she has is a really short club. Will it stop murders? No. Will it make it harder to take out a bunch of people at once? Why yes, yes it will.

Unless they just go ahead and buy some fertilizer and rent a truck. 

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org