A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:31:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Struggling?  (Read 29530 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

In other news, I am The only person in the state (I think) whose wild distaste for okc makes me want to thunders ownership to collapse and have them move back to Seattle.  I would help them pack.

Wow.  The only thing better for Tulsa than the Thunder being in OKC would be for the Thunder to be in Tulsa.  It is great for our state to have a pro sports franchise.  To have the downtown of your state capitol broadcast time after time in prime time on a top tier cable network two times a week for over a month (assuming they make NBA finals) is invaluable marketing.  Even during the regular season they have multiple games broadcast on ABC/ESPN/TNT that showcase OKC.  Additionally, team members appear in multiple national ads that appear during other NBA games that showcase the arena and other parts of OKC (including a Sprint commercial that used the Lloyd Noble Center at OU for a Durant commercial, ironic considering hes an UT Longhorn).  

Chesapeake struggling is bad for Tulsa.  Many independent energy companies and oilfield service companies rely on Chesapeake to make a living.  If they default on their contracts it will have wide ranging implications.  

Regardless of your distaste for OKC we need Chesapeake to succeed and we should want the Thunder to succeed.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »

Okay, drunken boilermakers.  Or drunken liberals with someone else’s paycheck.  They are far more notorious than sailors anyhow.

You must be talking about all the deficits of the last 32 years...oh, wait...that wasn't drunken liberals, though.  That was the 'other' guys.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

All the thunder have done for tulsa is get people into bars to watch basketball and make OKC people seem to think that they live in a real city and that Tulsa is a backwatter shithole. (living in stillwater you encounter these people all the time)  Beyond the fact that basketball is painfully boring, I want the smug looks smacked off their faces by realizing that they couldn't afford it.

People seem to keep appealing to the fact that it is good for the state.  Is that fact that Portland has a pro team good for eugene?

I hope the team moves and Chesapeake fails.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:02 pm »

All the thunder have done for tulsa is get people into bars to watch basketball and make OKC people seem to think that they live in a real city and that Tulsa is a backwatter shithole. (living in stillwater you encounter these people all the time)  Beyond the fact that basketball is painfully boring, I want the smug looks smacked off their faces by realizing that they couldn't afford it.

People seem to keep appealing to the fact that it is good for the state.  Is that fact that Portland has a pro team good for eugene?

That's just bitter and mean spirited.

I understand Aubrey owns several eateries in OKC and they may be the first taking a bullet...

THUNDER UP! (beat the Spurs!)
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »

That's just bitter and mean spirited.

You should hear the way that OKC kids talk about Tulsans.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »

All the thunder have done for tulsa is get people into bars to watch basketball and make OKC people seem to think that they live in a real city and that Tulsa is a backwatter shithole. (living in stillwater you encounter these people all the time)  Beyond the fact that basketball is painfully boring, I want the smug looks smacked off their faces by realizing that they couldn't afford it.

People seem to keep appealing to the fact that it is good for the state.  Is that fact that Portland has a pro team good for eugene?

I will cry if the Thunder move, but I won't worry, the chances of that happening are extremely slim.

And really, you refuse to support the Thunder because they're in OKC?? What a ridiculous standpoint. Perhaps you should try being a little less bitter and cheer both cities on instead of just wanting Tulsa to survive. This is the kind of attitude that I can't stand from people in EITHER city. Why does the other city have to be the enemy?
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »

You should hear the way that people i know in OKC kids talk about Tulsans.

fear builds walls...find some new kiddies to hang with and try to be kind....mean people suck

THUNDER UP!
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:04 pm »

Ok Guys.  Experiment time!  Go to bricktown and mention Tulsa.  I dare you.  You will be ridiculed.  OKC thinks that this teams makes them a major american city and that Tulsa is their joke of a little sister.  The thunder are OKC's attempt at consolidation of power.

Just take the bait kids.  Cheer for them.  See if they approve the OKpop museum.  (cricket, cricket)

Tell you  what.  If the state legislature approves the bond issue for the pop museum, I'll cheer for the thunder.  If not, F5's throughout  the 'city'.  Death and a pox upon all and in reverse order, too. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:26 pm »

Ok Guys.  Experiment time!  Go to bricktown and mention Tulsa.  I dare you.  You will be ridiculed.  OKC thinks that this teams makes them a major american city and that Tulsa is their joke of a little sister.  The thunder are OKC's attempt at consolidation of power.

Just take the bait kids.  Cheer for them.  See if they approve the OKpop museum.  (cricket, cricket)

Tell you  what.  If the state legislature approves the bond issue for the pop museum, I'll cheer for the thunder.  If not, F5's throughout  the 'city'.  Death and a pox upon all and in reverse order, too.  

yep.  I was in OKC enough to know how the attitude in Bricktown is for those of us who come from Tulsa.  I stopped after about 2005 going to that shitehole.

NBA team or not, I couldn't care less about OKC.  I lived in Houston for three years.  They had the big three in sports while I was there.  It was no picnic there either.  But Houston's metro is about 6 million.  OKC...not even close to that.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:23 am »

yep.  I was in OKC enough to know how the attitude in Bricktown is for those of us who come from Tulsa.  I stopped after about 2005 going to that shitehole.

NBA team or not, I couldn't care less about OKC.  I lived in Houston for three years.  They had the big three in sports while I was there.  It was no picnic there either.  But Houston's metro is about 6 million.  OKC...not even close to that.

Some of the more level headed ones are starting to get jealous. Bricktown is basically Quail Springs South with a couple of more adult themed joints thrown in for good measure. Midtown OKC is more like Downtown Tulsa. Natural, not forced. Original, unique. Downtown Tulsa has glitz, grit, charm, beauty and creativity all in a square mile. OKC has an office park and a downtown mall. OKC has nothing that we should be envious of, except maybe a statue of a giant falace (Devon Tower).

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 09:25:20 am »

Some of the more level headed ones are starting to get jealous. Bricktown is basically Quail Springs South with a couple of more adult themed joints thrown in for good measure. Midtown OKC is more like Downtown Tulsa. Natural, not forced. Original, unique. Downtown Tulsa has glitz, grit, charm, beauty and creativity all in a square mile. OKC has an office park and a downtown mall. OKC has nothing that we should be envious of, except maybe a statue of a giant falace (Devon Tower).

I'm not even envious of that.  That was OKCs play at taking the tallest building in Oklahoma away from what it saw as a little brother city.  Always the same attitude.  Ask Tulsa to accept the OKC Thunder and things in OKC but give little to nothing in return (Ok Pop Museum comes to mind here).  All while realizing the population density in the NE third of the state is more than the rest combined.

And for you OKC residents who lurk, yes, I don't like OKC.  I'm sure that much is apparent by now.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 09:38:38 am »

Ok Guys.  Experiment time!  Go to bricktown and mention Tulsa.  I dare you.  You will be ridiculed.  OKC thinks that this teams makes them a major american city and that Tulsa is their joke of a little sister.  The thunder are OKC's attempt at consolidation of power.

Just take the bait kids.  Cheer for them.  See if they approve the OKpop museum.  (cricket, cricket)

Tell you  what.  If the state legislature approves the bond issue for the pop museum, I'll cheer for the thunder.  If not, F5's throughout  the 'city'.  Death and a pox upon all and in reverse order, too. 

Are you just trolling now looking to be fed?

I spent 20+ years of my life in the OKC metro.  I've lived in all areas of the city and it's suburbs.  I CHOSE to move to Tulsa ten years ago because I found it to be a better city for what I want in life.  I have several high school and college classmates who did the same.  I have many friends in OKC who LOVE Tulsa.  They visit for concerts, shopping, food, coffee, art, etc, etc.

I'm a Tulsan now and I love the Thunder.  For the first year I fought it and was bitter it was the OKC Thunder and not the OK Thunder.  But then my oldest son fell in love with the team and I gave up the bitterness and chose to partake in the joy that can be found when enjoying what is a child's game.  Frankly, I love the fact it has given our state something to collectively cheer about.  We've set aside our rural vs urban, our Sooners vs Cowboys and for the most part our OKC vs Tulsa and instead are cheering on young men that make us proud not only in their performance on the court but the way they handle themselves off of it.  As far as I've found the players and staff handle themselves off the court in a way that all Oklahomans can be proud of.

As far as the OK Pop Museum is concerned, that isn't OKC's fault if it does or does not get approved.  That fault lies at the feet of our legislators masquerading as fiscal conservatives while choosing to legislate morality instead.  Personally, I'm torn on the funding it with state bond dollars.  Does that make me the enemy?

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:52 am »

You guys dont' seem to tolerate competition. Truth is that OKC is bigger, more powerful and better situated to grow than we are. I had a big brother who was similarly described. I didn't hate him for it, I used his power, his mistakes, his location within the family to get what I needed. Soon, we were on a level playing field. That time will come for Tulsa.

Kinda' looks like sour grapes, penis envy and whiney jealousy all blended into a psycho shake. It doesn't serve us well. I love the Thunder, I tolerate a lot of OKC and enjoy the rest.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:22 am »

You guys dont' seem to tolerate competition. Truth is that OKC is bigger, more powerful and better situated to grow than we are. I had a big brother who was similarly described. I didn't hate him for it, I used his power, his mistakes, his location within the family to get what I needed. Soon, we were on a level playing field. That time will come for Tulsa.

Kinda' looks like sour grapes, penis envy and whiney jealousy all blended into a psycho shake. It doesn't serve us well. I love the Thunder, I tolerate a lot of OKC and enjoy the rest.

And then there are some of us who don't.  We all have opinions and should be entitled to them without being denigrated by peers.  I sure don't denigrate you for liking OKC.  I just point out that I don't.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:06 am »

There is a difference in not liking someone or something and spewing hate.  Especially when that hate is based on unfounded or ludicrous perception.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org