A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:10:20 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Struggling?  (Read 29531 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:19:57 am »

Now is a good time to add Chesapeake to my watch list - $12 a share and I am getting in.
And if it goes below, keep on buying.

Just one good cold winter away from scoring big time....

Problem is CHK isn’t DTAG.  There’s a lot of unknowns about CHK right now and I think we are just hearing about a few of the fleas, I suspect there are a bunch more.  Are they seriously circling the drain a la Enron and SEM, or in need of a management overhaul and some help with NG prices?

I agree with TTC- don’t try to catch a falling knife.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 10:49:42 am »

Problem is CHK isn’t DTAG.  There’s a lot of unknowns about CHK right now and I think we are just hearing about a few of the fleas, I suspect there are a bunch more.  Are they seriously circling the drain a la Enron and SEM, or in need of a management overhaul and some help with NG prices?

I agree with TTC- don’t try to catch a falling knife.

Zero is the only price floor about which you can be absolutely sure.  The drip of bad news coming out of Chesapeake seems to be picking up pace.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:29 am »

Agreed....more likely KF would end up with acreage and wells close to their own educated fields....

But Conan, I'd bet he has to eventually divest his Thunder interest. Maybe not his baseline ducats.

AM needs to join in with Boone's attack on Koch. Time has come for the wagons to circle the Wichita mob. They're self serving basterds who need to be isolated. All this time I thought Boone was a wingnut....

T. Boone Pickens: Biggest Deterrent To U.S. Energy Plan Is Koch Industries

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/t-boone-pickens-biggest-deterrent-u-energy-plan-125553999.html

I hope he's right about $4...I hear $1.20...Heir, be patient....don't try catching a falling knife.

Can be dicey.... the "flea" in this case seems to be the billion dollars he borrowed from the company to pay for his well interest.  I'm sure his plan is to let the company end up paying it back for him through "appreciation".  (Not too different from what Franklin Electric - Bill Lawson - did to Oil Dynamics, here in town - on a much smaller scale.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Sutton
Citizen

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 11:11:57 am »

The hedge fund scandal is a much bigger deal than the well participation plan. The potential for conflict of interests is mind numbing.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:04 am »

Chesapeake is a hedge fund...people think it's an energy company....that's why I liken this to TK....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:00 am »

Looking like Enron, ain't it? 

Wonder what CHK participation was in Enron activities.  Or were they still learning the ropes from Devon and Williams Bros.?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:23 am »

The hedge fund scandal is a much bigger deal than the well participation plan. The potential for conflict of interests is mind numbing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/02/us-chesapeake-mcclendon-hedge-idUSBRE8410GG20120502

Here's the article on it. I don't see how a lot of people don't go to jail over this. It's simply amazing what McClendon has been up to,
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:32 am »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/02/us-chesapeake-mcclendon-hedge-idUSBRE8410GG20120502

Here's the article on it. I don't see how a lot of people don't go to jail over this. It's simply amazing what McClendon has been up to,

Yes, you do...it's "business"...it's what we have evolved into over the last 32 years.  It's good for business...

Think of the jobs that might be lost, if he weren't allowed...nay, even encouraged... to engage in this type activity!  The horror of it all...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »

Can be dicey.... the "flea" in this case seems to be the billion dollars he borrowed from the company to pay for his well interest.  I'm sure his plan is to let the company end up paying it back for him through "appreciation".  (Not too different from what Franklin Electric - Bill Lawson - did to Oil Dynamics, here in town - on a much smaller scale.)

How about selling off key assets to keep themselves in cash?  That should be a far bigger worry to shareholders as to the long term viability of the company.

He is sounding more and more like a degenerate gambler just like Kivisto.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 03:05:29 pm »

The daily drip of bad news just turned into a gusher.  By tomorrow the secruities fraud class action filings will start and the board members will be lawyering up.  Given Chesapeake's large debt and $2 gas prices, this ride will get very bumpy.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »

Chesapeake is a hedge fund...people think it's an energy company....that's why I liken this to TK....

Every large energy company is a hedge fund these days. So are large airlines. It's the nature of trying to do business that relies on hydrocarbons in a market fueled primarily by speculation and only somewhat by fundamentals.

That McClendon also had a hedge fund of his own fuel further speculation and help drive the wild gyrations of energy prices isn't terribly relevant to the unfortunate reality of financial deregulation. The insider trading is beside the point. Without the ridiculousness that exists in the commodities markets at present, there'd be little incentive to do it because prices would be more stable. (they gyrated back in the day, but not like this!)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:29:31 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
rdj
City Father

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:30 am »

And you wonder why energy prices don't seem to follow demand?

If you are in any commodities business today you've been lured by the siren song of hedging.  Lumber?  Coffee?  Steel?  Oil?  Natural gas?  You name it, it can be hedged.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:05 am »

And you wonder why energy prices don't seem to follow demand?

If you are in any commodities business today you've been lured by the siren song of hedging.  Lumber?  Coffee?  Steel?  Oil?  Natural gas?  You name it, it can be hedged.

The fact that natural gas is around $2 demonstrates supply and demand still has a lot to do with price rather than just those 'ol sinsiter "speculators."
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 11:56:31 am »

The fact that natural gas is around $2 demonstrates supply and demand still has a lot to do with price rather than just those 'ol sinsiter "speculators" "manipulators."

Example: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2cpkKmKig[/youtube]

what a con man.... anybody in here his dupes?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »

The fact that natural gas is around $2 demonstrates supply and demand still has a lot to do with price rather than just those 'ol sinsiter "speculators."

Yes, that's what happens when the speculators leave the market.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org