A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:26:52 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scalpers  (Read 7676 times)
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 07:48:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I have no trouble with the people who get in line to buy tickets like all the rest of us, and then stand out in the rain on the corner to sell their tickets.

I do dislike the fact that, at many venues throughout the country, I can't buy tickets at face value unless I buy them the day they go on sale.  There are plenty of seats available, but the scalpers have marked them up 3-fold.  These are not local folks, they are internet companies who just transfer paper for profit.  

I personally won't buy $50 tickets for $200, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  It just means that if I didn't know about a show in advance, I won't get the chance to go see it.  It also means that I won't be visiting another city to enjoy a concert.  I won't be spending money on a hotel and restaurants...b/c the markup on the tickets eliminates the rest of my travel budget.

Unlike the airlines, these scalpers (to my knowledge) don't ofter last minute discounts on unsold seats.  They just sit on the unsold seats to protect their exorbitant prices...and the artificial scarcity they created to enable them to control the prices.

BTW, what's a Busch League?  A place where everyone drinks Budweiser?  That WOULD be bad...though Bud is pretty good for cooking bratwurst...

+1.  I am looking for some chicago cubs tickets in july and the only ones left from the cubs are in horrible sections with poles in the way.  If I want a decent ticket, I am looking at over 150each, with a face value of 45-60.  Guess I will have to wait the day of the game and see what I can find.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
FOTD
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 10:10:27 am »

Good point. I totally forgot you can get around the scalper rules.

I understand there are now "restricted sight lines" (some sponsors were just notified)in the Areema. So be certain when you buy from a scalper to ask if the sight lines are restricted.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 10:20:12 am »

I have heard no such thing and a quick search reveals nothing.  If that's true, I'll need an explanation because on our tour(s) there were no posts, pillars, columns, boxes, or anything else to restrict site lines. Not sure what they could be referring to (no knowledge that it is a false claim, I just don't get it).

I'd be interested to see what that is all about.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:33 am »

I've seen the notice sent from a Jana Reynolds to Entire Tulsa Area offices ..... it regards the circuss....perhaps the clowns are not fully visible.

Thanks for not being a doubting CannonFodder.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

Good point. I totally forgot you can get around the scalper rules.

I understand there are now "restricted sight lines" (some sponsors were just notified)in the Areema. So be certain when you buy from a scalper to ask if the sight lines are restricted.

There is nothing in the Arena to restrict a sight line except for the fact it's a circus and they bring in large poles and other equipment. That has nothing to do with the Arena you're just hell bent on finding something.
deinstein
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »

Just another law to waste my tax dollars trying to enforce. No thanks.
1099paralegal
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »

How to Beat Scalpers, Without Really Trying:  Don't buy whatever they got.  Problem SOLVED.

Yet another DUMB City ordinance to mess with the Great American Capitalism in ACTION.  If someone is dumb enough to buy over-priced tickets, he/she DESERVE to buy over-priced tickets.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:20:15 pm by 1099paralegal » Logged
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 07:02:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by 1099paralegal

How to Beat Scalpers, Without Really Trying:  Don't buy whatever they got.  Problem SOLVED.

Yet another DUMB City ordinance to mess with the Great American Capitalism in ACTION.  If someone is dumb enough to buy over-priced tickets, he/she DESERVE to buy over-priced tickets.

Are they? what about the *** holes that snatch up all the good seats before anyone else a chance at them, so you have no choice but to buy the seats that no one else wants or are the last to go. Is that great American Capitalism in action? It has been documented many times that these people use sophisticated computer programs to dial in the automated phone numbers and get as many tickets as possible BEFORE ANYONE ELSE CAN to their advantage.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 08:10:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

To increase demand you need to limit supply. Scalpers don't limit supply, they increase the cost of the supply. Then, the real patrons sit behind two rows of unsold empty scalper seats for no apparent reason.

The seats are sold, then there would be two empty rows those people will leave if they bought the seats ahead of them.  And so on.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 08:14:42 am »

Another thing..  Its impossible in the age of ticketmaster to make your money back on a ticket you purchased.

Your ticket face value is $15, your service fee is $11, if you print it its a $3 fee, if you have them mail it is $1 fee (per ticket).

So your $11 ticket costs $29 and you get in trouble for selling tickets.

Plus I'm not even going to mention the fact that scalpers can get good seats.  If you don't like Celine Dion enough to pay $3,000 for front row seats, let somebody that does do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org