A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:02:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brew Pub by the ballpark  (Read 40607 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:24 am »

As per conversation with Eric, they have to brew low point beer in this location.
I understood that was a decision they made so that people could carry out growlers.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2016, 08:32:37 am »

The law went into effect just a couple of weeks ago.  They should just need to obtain a brewers license.  

As of now I don't believe you can own a bar and a brewers license.  So if the owners of the business had no other liquor licenses in the state of Oklahoma then Elgin Park could be a brewery and you could sell growlers to go of any strength beer. I'm not sure if you could have kids in the "tap room" or not. It doesn't make any sense but that's Oklahoma for you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:28:59 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2016, 08:58:15 pm »

Is this place family friendly, or 21-n-over?
davideinstein
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2016, 09:06:32 pm »

All ages.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:29 pm »

There were kids all over the place when I was there.  It appeared to be more restaurant than bar. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »

They don't have to tell the bartenders that.  That's one of the ways that ABLE tries to catch the bartenders.  So they should all know about the expired license thing.

The shouldnt tell the bartenders that because its not true.  An expired DL is just as good as a current one for the purposes of determining your birthdate.  My point was that ABLE misleads bartenders.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 10:58:57 am »

The shouldnt tell the bartenders that because its not true.  An expired DL is just as good as a current one for the purposes of determining your birthdate.  My point was that ABLE misleads bartenders.

Sadly ABLE is the law.  Unless you want to challenge them, get a lawyer and potential get put in jail to prove a point.
davideinstein
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2016, 12:02:30 am »

Ran into an issue today:

Got there at 11:40am to get a seat and TV for the Panthers game. Manager doesn't get the TV's set until 12:20pm and so I miss the first three drives. It gets set to a non-HD channel which isn't a big deal until the manager switches it to bonus coverage on the local station with 8 minutes left to get HD, the local channel switches to post game and with 5 minutes left in the game I can't get anyone to switch it back. I told the bartender who blew me off. Then I flipped out on said bartender who tells the manager and just gets a shrug.

What this place needs are competent sports fans running the show. You don't charge a guy a $53 tab so he can miss the first three drives of the game and the last five minutes of the game. And you for sure correct the mistake immediately.
saintnicster
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2016, 10:50:36 am »

Then I flipped out on said bartender

http://i.imgur.com/3OkCpMe.gifv
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:52:17 am by saintnicster » Logged
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »

Went again this weekend myself. This time I had to use the restroom and found their bizarre system of individual toilet rooms. They are pretty unhandy and cause long waits even when the place isn't slammed, but they do have TV's inside them which is cool.

I wish they had something cheaper for an appetizer so I could stay longer without having to drink the whole time. The pizza is nice, but honestly it's so pricey here I might go back to Lefty's.
davideinstein
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »

Went again this weekend myself. This time I had to use the restroom and found their bizarre system of individual toilet rooms. They are pretty unhandy and cause long waits even when the place isn't slammed, but they do have TV's inside them which is cool.

I wish they had something cheaper for an appetizer so I could stay longer without having to drink the whole time. The pizza is nice, but honestly it's so pricey here I might go back to Lefty's.

I'm going to Leftys to watch the NFL next Sunday.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 07:53:34 am »

Ran into an issue today:

Got there at 11:40am to get a seat and TV for the Panthers game. Manager doesn't get the TV's set until 12:20pm and so I miss the first three drives. It gets set to a non-HD channel which isn't a big deal until the manager switches it to bonus coverage on the local station with 8 minutes left to get HD, the local channel switches to post game and with 5 minutes left in the game I can't get anyone to switch it back. I told the bartender who blew me off. Then I flipped out on said bartender who tells the manager and just gets a shrug.

What this place needs are competent sports fans running the show. You don't charge a guy a $53 tab so he can miss the first three drives of the game and the last five minutes of the game. And you for sure correct the mistake immediately.

I don't think they have trained the employees well on the TV system yet (Still!). I asked them to change a channel and after 15 minutes of messing with it, they got it to a channel that was off air and left it. It wasn't at all what I asked for. Eventually they changed it to something else completely. Then it took 20 minutes to get someones attention that we needed the check, even at the bar. 

I have noticed service has been slow at many place I've been to recently including highly-rated places we almost always have good experiences at. Typically, it is just getting the check that takes forever as we have learned to not ask for much (1 refill max if you're lucky and order any sauce/extras with the meal). Many I have talked to have had similar experiences in general recently. Some theories are that waiters and kitchen staff tend to smoke pot and the quality has gotten a lot better. Waiters here are starting to seem more like they are in New Mexico and Colorado (SLOW service!).

I am starting to like either sitting at the bar (where you almost always get good service) or bistro-style restaurants like Blue Moon Cafe or Calaveras where it is partially self-serve as I can get what I need far faster, better, cheaper and without the attitude.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2016, 08:53:25 am »

I don't think they have trained the employees well on the TV system yet (Still!). I asked them to change a channel and after 15 minutes of messing with it, they got it to a channel that was off air and left it. It wasn't at all what I asked for. Eventually they changed it to something else completely. Then it took 20 minutes to get someones attention that we needed the check, even at the bar.  

I have noticed service has been slow at many place I've been to recently including highly-rated places we almost always have good experiences at. Typically, it is just getting the check that takes forever as we have learned to not ask for much (1 refill max if you're lucky and order any sauce/extras with the meal). Many I have talked to have had similar experiences in general recently. Some theories are that waiters and kitchen staff tend to smoke pot and the quality has gotten a lot better. Waiters here are starting to seem more like they are in New Mexico and Colorado (SLOW service!).

I am starting to like either sitting at the bar (where you almost always get good service) or bistro-style restaurants like Blue Moon Cafe or Calaveras where it is partially self-serve as I can get what I need far faster, better, cheaper and without the attitude.

The service around here is bad, always has been, but it has gotten worse.

Funny thing is that in my travels, I'm on the road a lot, I have found that just about anywhere else in the country has better service than we do in Tulsa. Just a few places I have been to recently:

Chicago - Great service
Milwaukee - Good to great service
NYC - Great service
Boston - Good to great service
Burlington, VT - Outstanding service
Salt Lake City - Good to great service
Grand Rapids - Great service

There is just something about Tulsa, and Oklahoma in general, that makes mediocre service the norm. Even that is slipping to the point where poor to awful service is the norm.

I will say the exceptions I have seen to this lately are Tallgrass Prairie Table, Laffa, Cafe Ole', Upper Crust, Main Street Tavern in BA, and Stepping Stone in Bixby where good to great service was provided in every instance.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:21 am »

From my experience, New Mexico and Colorado are worse. It also depends on the type of places you go. People travelling probably pick higher rated places whereas you might be more adventurous in Tulsa and end up at places that aren't rated highly. The more crowded a place, the more likely they are over stretched and not attentive. But I hate when they they are neither crowded nor attentive which is happening more and more. Went to Laffa recently and had bad service with attitude and a LONG wait for a check. It was not crowded either.

I see why food trucks and self-serve type places are on the upswing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:22 pm »

From my experience, New Mexico and Colorado are worse. It also depends on the type of places you go. People travelling probably pick higher rated places whereas you might be more adventurous in Tulsa and end up at places that aren't rated highly. The more crowded a place, the more likely they are over stretched and not attentive. But I hate when they they are neither crowded nor attentive which is happening more and more. Went to Laffa recently and had bad service with attitude and a LONG wait for a check. It was not crowded either.

I see why food trucks and self-serve type places are on the upswing.

When my wife and I are out in NM or Colorado we realize we are on Mountain Time- literally and figuratively.  No one gets in a hurry even if it’s a sparsely-populated dive restaurant.  A place really does stand out when they provide very attentive and quick service in the high country because it is a bit unusual.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org