A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:46:57 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D'fest 2009  (Read 30762 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

I'm interested to hear what type of show the people who are disappointed with DFest would like to see.

Can we maybe hear a fake line-up of a festival that you guys would be happy with?

Throw out some names of real "headliners."

Just throwing some  out there:

Beck
Los Lobos
Wilco
JJ Cale
Gomez
Les Claypool
Built to Spill
Taj Mahal
Tea Leaf Green
Matisyahu
Railroad EArth
Dereck Trucks Band
Asylum Street Spankers
Perpetual Groove
Big Smith
Split Lip Rayfield
Dark Star Orchestra

Some not as big as others, but any of them would improve Saturday's line up IMO.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:45:05 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
FOTD
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:42 pm »

Love your list. But this is a music industry seminar and CAKE fits a unique niche having developed outside the envelope of commercialized corporate mafioso.

Franti was suppose to be hooked but scheduling or competition pushed him into Cain's on July 31st.

Dig this....too many peeps but without a doubt the very best in outdoor shows! Venue is magic (it is THE BAY AREA!) and the artist list amazing.... Bonnie Raitt and Taj are touring in the same band but she was just here...
Take a look.. http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:48:11 pm by FOTD » Logged
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2009, 01:52:14 pm »

Love your list. But this is a music industry seminar and CAKE fits a unique niche having developed outside the envelope of commercialized corporate mafioso.

Franti was suppose to be hooked but scheduling or competition pushed him into Cain's on July 31st.

Dig this....too many peeps but without a doubt the very best in outdoor shows! Venue is magic (it is THE BAY AREA!) and the artist list amazing.... Bonnie Raitt and Taj are touring in the same band but she was just here...
Take a look.. http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

oooh, I like.  Add to my list Old Crow Medicine Show, Little Feat, Richie Havens, John Prine, and I'll raise you Todd Snider.

-Franti is OK, but a lot taller than he is cool.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2009, 04:03:00 pm »

+1 for Little Feat.

Power is nothing till you use it.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »

I've downloaded nearly every artist playing DFest and am more excited than ever for the show. While I hadn't heard of many of the artists, I'm always glad to find new music. I like some of the artists on your list, but I don't really see how any of those except maybe Matisyahu, Los Lobos, Wilco, and Beck would've had any sort of broad headliner appeal, especially compared to CAKE and the Black Crowes. In fact, I'd say Cake is a bigger and more notable headliner than any that you mentioned.

Cake is one of those bands that is popular across different age groups, has been heard of, but never really overplayed and that almost everybody likes and knows.

When I think about the price of DFest compared to many similar shows, I don't understand how they're even able to book so much talent for the price. I'm sure they could up the "quality" of the headliners, but that would require upping the cost to the typical $100 mark.

Maybe in time, the price will be able to go up and they'll bring in more notable acts, but for now I'm happy with the up and comers and a few bigger names. I think it suits the nature of the show.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »

I've downloaded nearly every artist playing DFest and am more excited than ever for the show. While I hadn't heard of many of the artists, I'm always glad to find new music. I like some of the artists on your list, but I don't really see how any of those except maybe Matisyahu, Los Lobos, Wilco, and Beck would've had any sort of broad headliner appeal, especially compared to CAKE and the Black Crowes. In fact, I'd say Cake is a bigger and more notable headliner than any that you mentioned.

Cake is one of those bands that is popular across different age groups, has been heard of, but never really overplayed and that almost everybody likes and knows.

When I think about the price of DFest compared to many similar shows, I don't understand how they're even able to book so much talent for the price. I'm sure they could up the "quality" of the headliners, but that would require upping the cost to the typical $100 mark.

Maybe in time, the price will be able to go up and they'll bring in more notable acts, but for now I'm happy with the up and comers and a few bigger names. I think it suits the nature of the show.

Again, see last year for a great line up (maybe it was too great) at a great price.  I hope your right about the broad appeal, but Saturday is not for me and all of my pals who  came to town for last years fest are dissappointed and passing on this one.  I don't know how many better live acts and 'headliners' I have to name to demonstrate that there could have been a better line up....  Ween, Allman Brothers, Bela Fleck....  I'm hella excited about Gogol Bordello.  I hope it goes well and I hope you do some good business.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:26:33 pm by jne » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09:09 am »

I like that the lineup is varied and I think Cake is a good addition. I do feel they tend to focus on "jam bands" a bittoo much at times though, but that could just be that I hate jam bands.

I still wish they could go bigger. As it is, people will drive few hundred miles to come to dfest. I want to see a lineup that would make people buy an airline ticket.

Hopefully in a few years..
Cherish
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:41 am »

Seriously you hate Jam Bands, so guess you don't like Phish or Grateful Dead?  I went to a Phish concert 3 weeks ago and Rusted Root (in the same week not same day) and LOVED it.  I would like to check out Dfest when I get there I've never seen Black Crowes so I would like to see them.
Gold
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2009, 11:24:27 am »

I like a lot of jam bands; after listening to most of the acts, I feel like this D-fest has more bands from California, or trying to sound like it, doing that Thrills thing (which is some sort of bastardization of the Smiths and some other British bands).  Last year had some crazy variety and way too much to see (Ghostland Observatory and Apples in Stereo at the same time, for example).  This year, I feel like it's pretty easy to figure out where I'll be going although I'm sure how wander around to see if there is anything really neat and unexpected.

It's not a terrible lineup.  Still, the Crowes and Cake have been here several times.  I would have liked something new and big.  I'm excited about Gogol Bordello, but I suspect that's something I'll like seeing once.  I don't feel like a lot of these bands sync together very well; last year, the JFJO/Zappa Plays Zappa/Roots lineup made a lot of sense.

I'm sure it'll be a great event.  I just have less idea about some things, whereas I either knew a lot about certain bands last year, or at the very least, knew who I absolutely had to see.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2009, 09:10:34 am »

While I liked last year's DFest, I feel like the one the year before that had more bands that I actually listen to. The Format show was incredible.

I've enjoyed Ozomatli, Ra Ra Riot, Joe Pug, and Delta Spirit of the bands I've been listening to on this year's line-up. Obviously Gogol Bordelo is the fun, "out there" attraction of this year's DFest and Cake is my favorite headliner ever. Yes....Ever.

When it comes to smaller independent regional type acts like DFest is known for, the reality is that there will always be bands that some people have heard of that others haven't. The key is allow DFest to expose us to new artists.

They could make DFest bigger, with bigger attractional well known headliners. They could do it right now, but they'd have to charge 100 bucks a ticket and right now, I feel like they're focused on making it a fun affordable event. It costs a ton of money to bring in acts like Dave Matthews, The Fray, The Kings of Leon and even the Beastie Boys.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:06 am »

I like big headliners, don't get me wrong, but last year all I did was listen to bands I was already familiar with. This year, because I'm not as wild about the headliners (not my style of music), I'm getting a chance to explore some new groups. Plus, from looking at my calendar, I will be walking to nearly every single venue!

---Robert
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org