A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:08:26 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AKDAR SHRINERS DONATIONS!  (Read 8815 times)
Keirasmommy
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »

Hi my daughter recently went to the Shriner's Children's Hospital in Louisiana. We go back in a month to get her braces. They took us down there, paid for our hotel room and treated my 2 year old for free!!!! WHAT A BLESSING!!!!!
Here's the thing! With the recession going on they're hospitals cost alot to keep them going and to be able to treat kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to get any help. The cost of keeping up the hospitals is quite a bit and they are lacking in quite 1/4 of the money to help keep them going.

They take money donations and also pop can tab donations! Every tab helps. They are actually contracted through a company that gives them more money for those tabs then what they are worth so they do help alot. There's an Akdar Shriners Temple at 28th & Sheridan. PLEASE PEOPLE TAKE THE TIME TO TAKE THE TABS OFF YOUR CANS AND SAVE THEM. YOU CAN DROP THEM OFF AT THE SHRINERS TEMPLE AND THEY TAKE THEM WHERE THEY NEED TO TURN THEM IN. WITHOUT THEM MY DAUGHTER WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET BRACES THAT OUR HEALTH INSURANCE DOESN'T COVER AND THEY ARE OVER $1,300 BRACES THAT SHE MAY HAVE TO GET EVERY 6 MONTHS! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Keirasmommy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:33:38 am »

Another thing they have hospitals all over the United States for Children. Which it cost in the Billions to keep them going. Right now they are 200 billion in need. ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN TAKE POP CAN TABS TO THEM AT 28TH & SHERIDAN!

LET'S HELP THE SHRINERS HELP CHILDREN IN NEED! PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WILL HELP!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:46:53 am »

Will send a check in the next solicitation. And welcome aboard..

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

Wow. I never knew that there was so many famous Shriners. Check this web page out.
http://www.zemzem.us/FAMOUS%20SHRINERS.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49:44 am »

Wow. I never knew that there was so many famous Shriners. Check this web page out.
http://www.zemzem.us/FAMOUS%20SHRINERS.html

Great link.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:16:35 pm »

Go to the circus!  One of their main fund raising efforts.  At least buy a ticket, even if not going.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Keirasmommy
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

We do go to their fundraising foundations. But the pop can tabs they really get alot of money for. We knew a girl who had to be on kidney dialysis and 1 pop can tab got her 2 minutes worth of dialysis time. Which is quite a bit for a little tab!!!!!

Seriously this Great Foundation needs help. They're $250 billion dollars in debt to keep they're hospitals running. Pop can tabs are a great way to donate.
Keirasmommy
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:55:54 pm »

Guido911,
 Was that a serious comment or being sarcastic? This is a serious thing. When I was up there I seen a 1 year old with no legs and no hands and the Shriners were able to get him a walker he could use to slide his arms in and also the prosthetic legs for him. It was incredible to see that baby boy walking. It broke my heart yet made me so happy to see him get something to help him. You could tell his family was broke and could not afford such a thing.

Also the Shriners have some of the best doctors in the world!

HOW HARD IS IT TO TAKE A TAB OFF A POP CAN PUT IT IN A JAR OR BAG AND DROP IT OFF AT THE TEMPLE ON 28TH & SHERIDAN?Huh
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:28 pm »

Guido911,
 Was that a serious comment or being sarcastic? This is a serious thing. When I was up there I seen a 1 year old with no legs and no hands and the Shriners were able to get him a walker he could use to slide his arms in and also the prosthetic legs for him. It was incredible to see that baby boy walking. It broke my heart yet made me so happy to see him get something to help him. You could tell his family was broke and could not afford such a thing.

Are you kidding me? I never, and I mean NEVER, joke about children and their health care needs. Furthermore, I was in DeMolay, as was my dad and uncle, my mother was a Job's Daughter, my dad and other uncle were Masons, and my grandfather was a Shriner. Serious enough for ya?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »

Shriner's are a great organization, but I think you got some wrong debt numbers.  This link shows some hospital information - including just a little bit of budget info.  They have always worked on an endowment plus donations plus fundraising (circus, onion sales, etc).  I haven't been close to them for a few years, but they certainly don't outspend their resources like that.  They are definitely in need of $200 billion, but that is no where near the same as 200 billion in debt.  

http://www.albahrshrine.org/factsandfigures.html

And here is their main hospital page.

http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main

And they definitely need any support one can give.  As does the Salvation Army, Goodwill, YMCA, Food bank, etc.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:15 pm »

Ok, again I need somebody to help me out here. How do you get more for the little pop can tab. Then you do for the whole can ?
Is this something special for the Shriners or have I been told all along the wrong way to recycle cans ?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »

A friend's daughter collects pop tabs.  I'd heard it was some sort of program where for each one a child gets a minute of chemo therapy.  I'm tempted to run it through Snopes now as it does seem odd that pop tabs would be more of a value than whole cans which can be recycled and for which there is a value.

Edit: http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

Snopes has spoken
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:48:54 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »

A friend's daughter collects pop tabs.  I'd heard it was some sort of program where for each one a child gets a minute of chemo therapy.  I'm tempted to run it through Snopes now as it does seem odd that pop tabs would be more of a value than whole cans which can be recycled and for which there is a value.

Snopes has spoken
I had read that article before and was about to go check it to double check my memory on it.  Gotta love snopes.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »

A friend's daughter collects pop tabs.  I'd heard it was some sort of program where for each one a child gets a minute of chemo therapy.  I'm tempted to run it through Snopes now as it does seem odd that pop tabs would be more of a value than whole cans which can be recycled and for which there is a value.

Snopes has spoken

You guys are the best. All I have to do is ask, and you deliver. Thanks.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »

Yes the pulltabs are a scam. Phil Mulkins of the Tulsa World did a series of articles on this about a decade ago.

The whole point is to put the charity name out there on a box. It is all about having your charity logo seen everywhere.

Recycle the whole can. A gallon of pull tabs (about 4,000) weigh about two and a half pounds. They will make you about 85 cents at today's prices. 4,000 pop cans will make you about 45 dollars.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org