A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:47:37 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on housing in Tulsa  (Read 9367 times)
Cherish
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 01:53:07 pm »

Thanks nathanm!  I will see if I can find something in that area advertised.  Would you say that is a good place to live?

cjmcinty, I will be joining the biology phd program.  And don't take this the wrong way, but I don't feel too bad now knowing someone else is in kinda the same boat as I am.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot get to Tulsa until beginning of Aug which makes this worse!  But I will keep looking and yes, you are absolutely right, the people on here have been very helpful!
Good luck to you in your search as well!

I'm moving to Tulsa to attend school too but I have already picked out my apartment (in South Tulsa) and put down a holding deposit.  I've noticed that the closer to my move in date the higher the apartments are becoming, within the same floorplan and also the floorplans that are less sq. ft currently becoming higher than the one I locked down.  I was originally going to move in Aug, but locked in a June rate for my apartment since it is WAY cheaper then what it would be in August.

The closer to Aug you go the more expensive some apartments will be since in the summer, especially August, apartments have more people wanting to rent so they tend to raise the rental rate at that time.  So if you could narrow down the apartments you are looking for and call them and find out their current rate you might ask them if they know what rate they will be in Aug, since you might be spending more for an apartment leased in August.  See if they'll take your holding deposit which locks the apartment at the current rate. 

If I didn't lock my apartment at the rate it is now I would be spending an extra 60 per month (saving me $720 for a 12 month lease), and that is just the rate of the July apartments, can't imagine how much it will be in August, and each week I check the apartments are going higher, but they will fall again in Autumn.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:03:34 pm by Cherish » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 01:54:57 pm »

Thanks nathanm!  I will see if I can find something in that area advertised.  Would you say that is a good place to live?

The neighborhood south of TU (Renaissance http://www.rnatulsa.org) is nice enough that at least 4 members on this forum currently live, or have recently lived, in the neighborhood.

It has quick access to TU, grocery, restaurants, highways 244 and 51, downtown (10 minute bike ride), etc. If you have any particular questions about the neighborhood, feel free to message me (I live in the neighborhood and love every minute of it!).

---Robert
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »

I really hope the prices aren't going up!  But thanks for the heads up!  I just hate to sign for something sight unseen!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 11:06:56 am »

If those apartments are really $700 a month with a washer and dryer, internet and cable . . . it is worth taking a second look at them.  The only (potential) downside is that you would have a roommate.   But they put graduate students together so it might be a plus.

Otherwise, you are probably priced out of the areas South and East of TU.  The area immediately North of TU isn't bad and you may be able to find something.  These areas are mostly houses, that's why they are more expensive. 

Outside of walking distance you should be able to find something for $700.  Harvard Terrace is OK looking (dumpy, but you're in college) and would be within easy biking or a long walk (2.5 miles).  There are other apartments around within 5 miles . . .

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »

Apologies for the late reply, but yes, I think the area is nice. Most things are conveniently close, which is a nice change from when I lived in South Tulsa.

I saw a garage apartment in the general vicinity on craigslist the other day. I think they wanted $500 a month for it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »

Thank you!  I will take a look and see what is available.  Hopefully something will be available by the time I decide!
Cherish
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:20 pm »

If those apartments are really $700 a month with a washer and dryer, internet and cable . . . it is worth taking a second look at them.  The only (potential) downside is that you would have a roommate.   But they put graduate students together so it might be a plus.

Otherwise, you are probably priced out of the areas South and East of TU.  The area immediately North of TU isn't bad and you may be able to find something.  These areas are mostly houses, that's why they are more expensive. 

Outside of walking distance you should be able to find something for $700.  Harvard Terrace is OK looking (dumpy, but you're in college) and would be within easy biking or a long walk (2.5 miles).  There are other apartments around within 5 miles . . .

Not a bad suggestion.  You may want to rethink this, unless you can find a roommate before you move to Tulsa, this may be the best suggestion since I think you said you had no transportation so it would be hard for you to really just look anywhere in Tulsa. 

I estimate I would be paying 665 a month in South Tulsa, 520 for rent, 30 for water, 35 for internet and 80 for electricity, I already have W/D so don't need to get one.  I'm not getting cable since I have netflix, bluray movies and hulu.com to look forward too  Grin  I can get the local and world news online so don't need cable.  So I'm ranging around 665-700 depends on the electricity so you may want to look at getting those graduate apartments.

So yea your best suggestion might be to pay the $700 a month since all your utilities etc. will be included and you won't have to worry about transportation.  Downside would be a roommate but since your new to Tulsa, as I am, maybe a roommate for the first year won't be a bad suggestion.  You won't feel lonely as everyone knows your not going to make best friends the first month you get there and may be lonely.  So in that sense a roommate may not be so bad when you first get there, you'll more than likely have an instant friend.

If you ever feel like you don't like it those graduate apartments are they for 9 mths (school year) or 12 mths?  If there for 9 months then you could deal with that and then get your own place or maybe get a roommate you know at school and then it will be a lot cheaper.

Good luck in your search  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:52:19 pm by Cherish » Logged
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »

You know Cherish, you might be right.  I will have to think on this some more.  I am not sure how much those apartments really cost after they tack on all kinds of fees and stuff.  I will email someone in housing and find out.  In the meantime, I will keep looking within walking distance (I have not completely lost hope yet!)
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:49 am »

I have another question to go with the housing.  How much do utilities come to on average in Tulsa?  Is it higher at one time of the year, say winter?  And another thing, are there any stores that provide online grocery shopping and delivery?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:35:21 am by mngirl » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 04:22:15 pm »

I have another question to go with the housing.  How much do utilities come to on average in Tulsa?  Is it higher at one time of the year, say winter?  And another thing, are there any stores that provide online grocery shopping and delivery?
Food Pyramid has delivery, as does Reasor's at some locations.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »

Awesome!  Thanks!  And I just want everyone to know that I do very much appreciate all the information I have received!   Smiley
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 08:36:14 am »

Hi everyone!  I was wondering if anyone has used the bus system in Tulsa?  Are they reliable i.e. on time?  Everyone I talked to at TU did not seem to know anything about it.  I guess most people do drive.
USRufnex
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 11:45:18 am »

Well, when I was growing up in Tulsa I never took the bus; you know you're in trouble when your bus is labeled "clockwise" or "counterclockwise"   Grin

When I moved back here three years ago from Chicago, I tried out the buses quite a few times over the course of about 6 mos.  The buses are usually either ontime, or within 10-15 mins of ontime.  When it was cold/snow/ice, I was surprised to find how easy it was to simply call TulsaTransit (582-2100) and be told how much of a delay there was....

http://tulsatransit.org/

The bad news is the daytime bus routes don't run much past 7 or 7:30pm.  Saturday service is limited and there is no Sunday service.  "Nightline" service (after 8pm) consists of a handful of vans that run so rarely (every hour or two) that you should budget for cabbing it home unless you're lucky enough to find one.  The fares recently increased to $1.50 cash fare a few months ago, but you can get a 10-ride pass for $12 or a monthly pass for $40.  There are also day and week passes but I recommend the 10-ride passes because of the new policy on free transfers.

The good news is that when you board the bus, you should always ask for a free transfer, even though I guess this is now called a "U2" pass.  "U2" will give you "unrestricted access" for 2 hours (3 hours on Saturdays).  Which is great because you can use it for your return trip if you are just going somewhere for lunch or doing an hour's worth of shopping, etc... the buses are really bike friendly with two bike racks in front, and if you don't have a bike, the downtown station offers the adventurous a free bike and lock for the day...

You can buy bus passes at any QuikTrip store; there's one right across the street from the football stadium on 11th Street.  I'd also buy a Tulsa Transit "traveler"-- a full schedule with maps that only costs fifty cents... don't know if they're available at QT... if not, you should get one at the downtown bus station.  I liked carrying it with me at all times, because the bus routes stop making sense the closer they get to downtown...

Your daytime buses in the TU area are:
#210 Harvard (North/South but you can take the north bus to the downtown station)
#111  11th Street (East/West)
#215  15th Street (East/West)
#221  21st Street (East/West)

Your nightline options are:
#860 (board on 11th St) and #880 (board on 21st St)

TulsaTransit has only two "hubs" -- 4th & Denver (downtown across from the new arena but also down the street from the courthouse and the county jail, safe during the day, be careful later at night) and the one you will likely never go to at S. 34th St and Memorial Dr.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:14:48 pm by USRufnex » Logged
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:38 am »

USRufnex:  Thanks so much!  This is very helpful!  I have to admit I hate the maps that Tulsa transit uses.  They could make them better.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org