A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:31:59 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on housing in Tulsa  (Read 9364 times)
mngirl
Citizen

« on: June 16, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »

Hello!  I will be moving to Tulsa this fall to attend TU as a grad student.  I am currently in MN so it is rather difficult searching for housing.  So I would like to hear from folks who live there or lived there.  I need a place close to campus (within walking distance) and about $600 is the max I can afford.  I won't have a car and so it is kinda important that I live close to campus.  A 1 bd or even studio would work for me.  Also, it would be helpful to know what areas I should not stay in (high crime etc).  Anything else you can think of that might be helpful to someone moving from out of town would not be amiss.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley
brianh
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:31 am »

I live in the neighborhood just south of TU, I am pretty sure I have seen some houses for rent. I will look around tonight. How much do those apartments cost that are on the TU campus?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:54:32 am »

I lived in the 'hood south of TU for four years and just moved out.  It's a nice area, some good homes, but seriously avoid anything offered by Perry Properties, they are a slumlord. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PepePeru
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33:55 am »

Look in this order:

1.  south
2.  north / east
3.  west

The area south of TU is nice.  I live in that area.  There are some duplexes in that area, not that many though.  Not sure what they rent for either.  You probably won't be able to get a house for 600.00 in that area.
The area directly north of TU looks okay.  Stop looking at the freeway, though (244).
The area east of TU seems okay too.

West of TU...meh.  Chances are you'd probably be okay.   I just haven't been too impressed with that neighborhood west of TU, honestly...all the way to downtown, between 11th and 244 is really sketchy.

brianh
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:52 am »

Those TU apartments appear to be $3500 per semester. If a semester is 5 months, that would be around $700 a month. But they apparently come with washers and dryers. http://www.utulsa.edu/student-life/Living-and-Dining-on-Campus/University-Apartments/Copy-of-Rates.aspx
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:11 am »

I did look on campus but they are rather expensive.  They will probably have to be a last resort.  As most of you think the south of TU is a better area to live, about what prices do places go around there?  Anyone know?
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:04 am »

I live in the neighborhood just south of TU, I am pretty sure I have seen some houses for rent. I will look around tonight. How much do those apartments cost that are on the TU campus?

Thanks!!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:03:45 pm »

Those TU apartments appear to be $3500 per semester. If a semester is 5 months, that would be around $700 a month. But they apparently come with washers and dryers. http://www.utulsa.edu/student-life/Living-and-Dining-on-Campus/University-Apartments/Copy-of-Rates.aspx
WoW that is alot for rent. Rents in Tulsa are not bad in most cases. A coin Laundry place is alot cheaper than paying $700.00 just to have your own washer or dryer. I'd look at some on-line sites.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:49:56 pm »

WoW that is alot for rent. Rents in Tulsa are not bad in most cases. A coin Laundry place is alot cheaper than paying $700.00 just to have your own washer or dryer. I'd look at some on-line sites.

mngirl,

This gentleman has no idea of what he speaks.  Not only does he not live in Tulsa, he doesn't live in Oklahoma.  He doesn't even live in a state that borders Oklahoma.  I'm sorry he misleads folks like you.

Most of the people posting here are helpful and honest.  I wanted to warn you about the poster going by "Sauerkraut"
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:29:44 am »

I guess one place to avoid for housing is what brunoflipper posted- the Peoria and Cin area. I did not know home burgeries were that bad, the Tulsa crime maps are not anything out of the norm as compaired with other cities. If you shoot a burgler running away you can get in deep doo-doo for doing that. What ever area of the city has the lowest crime is the place to move to.  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:31:17 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:47:45 am »

It is important to point out that the $700 also includes internet and cable.

---Robert
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:18 pm »

Thank you all for your help.  I will try to look at some online sites to see if there are any places near the campus (although so far I have been unsuccessful).  Wish me luck!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »

There are actually a surprising number of duplexes south of TU (I should know, I see them when I walk my dog around the neighborhood!). Most of them don't look like your typical duplexes, however, so it's not obvious unless you're really looking. I've seen a few for lease in the last few weeks in the area between Delaware and Harvard and 11th and 15th.

I have the feeling they usually go for between $600 and $700 a month, though. Garage apartments will be cheaper, although I don't see them let nearly as often.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
cjmcinty
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 10:32:30 am »

I'm moving to Tulsa for grad school this fall as well (from Indiana) and have found this forum and the people who post here to be extremely helpful. I haven't found an apartment yet, but I did decide on the area I wanted to live in through the info I received on the site. I'm planning a trip to Tulsa in a couple of weeks so I can check things out myself, and hopefully lease an apartment while there. Good luck in your search!

By the way, which master's program are you going into?
mngirl
Citizen

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »

Thanks nathanm!  I will see if I can find something in that area advertised.  Would you say that is a good place to live?

cjmcinty, I will be joining the biology phd program.  And don't take this the wrong way, but I don't feel too bad now knowing someone else is in kinda the same boat as I am.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot get to Tulsa until beginning of Aug which makes this worse!  But I will keep looking and yes, you are absolutely right, the people on here have been very helpful!
Good luck to you in your search as well!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org