A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:00:49 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting Paramedics.......from the OHP?  (Read 87026 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:39 am »

What do you want to bet the tape gets "reused" before anything else can happen. I'm sure they reuse tapes that are of no evidentiary value (to them) and since the "investigation" is wrapped up it no longer has a purpose for them.   The paramedic sues for slander or battery (I'd take the case just to see the tape), subpoena's that tape and it's gone.

Next time I get a ticket from OHP I'm going to claim I have a video camera that totally exonerates me from any wrongdoing.   When they ask to see it I'll tell them I'm investigating the incident  When they demand again to see I'll just say no, but really really it shows what I say it does.

I call shenanigans.

Someone file an open records request with the court and get an order for it to be released.  Certainly they would fight it, but I think a strong case could be made that the record is of the type anticipated in the Act and the interest of the public outweighs any interest the OHP has in keeping it a secret (a legit interest I can not think of).   It could expand the scope of the Open Records Act or at least clarify that it does not ONLY relate to the limit items outlined in the Act.  It should apply to all records that contain no confidential information (tape of a strip search w/o release waiver) for which the public or private interest of releasing the information outweighs the governmental interest of keeping it secret.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 11:48:40 am »

I'm guessing but I'd be surprised if it's not destroyed already.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 12:33:03 pm »

I'm guessing but I'd be surprised if it's not destroyed already.

Your guess is probably right, because it's likely the only thing it would prove right now is perjury.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/OHP-Dash-Cam-Video-Denied/_HlrGO3BVEKxhhpovzMgcQ.cspx
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:59:37 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 12:43:23 pm »

So the dash cam of a deputy tazing a crazy 72 year old is released to prove she was being uncooperative is released in Austin.

If that can be released then surely the dash cam of an OHP officer could be released to prove he's not a racist with anger issues.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31202935/
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 02:19:37 pm »

OHP released a dashcam a few years ago when a Trooper was murdered as evidence against the suspect.

OHP dashcams are used frequently as evidence in DUI cases against the suspects.

I'm seeing a trend.  When it helps the State, they are released.  Otherwise, it's a secret.  I still can't think of a good reason to keep it a secret.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 03:25:11 pm »

OHP released a dashcam a few years ago when a Trooper was murdered as evidence against the suspect.

OHP dashcams are used frequently as evidence in DUI cases against the suspects.

I'm seeing a trend.  When it helps the State, they are released.  Otherwise, it's a secret.  I still can't think of a good reason to keep it a secret.

Not if things went down as the troopers claim, there's no reason not to release it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 04:03:34 pm »

If a civil lawsuit has been or is reasonably likely to be filed by the paramedics, destroying the tape could have serious negative ramifications.  Spoliation (love that word) of evidence is not looked kindly upon by the courts.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 04:36:09 pm »

If a civil lawsuit has been or is reasonably likely to be filed by the paramedics, destroying the tape could have serious negative ramifications.  Spoliation (love that word) of evidence is not looked kindly upon by the courts.

Lets see how that might play out...

The dashcam video becomes public record and numerous high-level careers fall in the ensuing corruption and perjury scandals,
or

OHP pays out a settlement of, oh, lets say $2.5 million among the plaintiffs, the legislature appropriates the money without so much as a blink, and it's back to business as usual for the OHP.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20090519_298_0_Fwrtop715918

Seems like it would have been so much easier if the department had the integrity to take ownership of it's mistakes, rather than paint themselves into a corner.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:42:18 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:03 am »

OHP pays out a settlement of, oh, lets say $2.5 million among the plaintiffs, the legislature appropriates the money without so much as a blink, and it's back to business as usual for the OHP.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20090519_298_0_Fwrtop715918

They needed $2.5mil to prevent furloughs . . .

Legislative leaders and Gov. Brad Henry agreed Tuesday to kick in an extra $2.5 million for the Department of Public Safety to keep Highway Patrol troopers from facing furloughs. . . Officials said the $2.5 million will allow a new headquarters in north-central Oklahoma to go forward.

. . . but then they are going to use the $2.5million to build a new regional headquarters?

Oh, well then, that makes sense.  Hey guys, I need to raise funds to save starving orphans (and to remodel my bathroom).  I simply can't do both, so save the orphans please.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 11:16:50 am »

Yesterday Trooper Martin told the Fox News Network he blames his enraged behavior on the War in Iraq, from which he recently returned.
Comforting to think Oklahomans are being treated the way we treat Iraqis.

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22476277/nowhere-to-hide.htm

The reporter briefly touches on the mystery woman in the front seat of the trooper's car, as well. 

FOTD
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:50 am »

It was the troopers wife which could be part of the environment that made him so angry.....

The trooper better mea culpa or O'Carrol will file a civil suit. The EMT seems like a genuine good person. The trooper resembles angry white men many of which hang out with us here!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

Yesterday Trooper Martin told the Fox News Network he blames his enraged behavior on the War in Iraq, from which he recently returned.
Comforting to think Oklahomans are being treated the way we treat Iraqis.

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22476277/nowhere-to-hide.htm

The reporter briefly touches on the mystery woman in the front seat of the trooper's car, as well. 

Similar to alcoholic and addict behavior, it's always someone else's fault.

Is this trooper still on active duty?  If so, why?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2009, 11:31:47 am »

Similar to alcoholic and addict behavior, it's always someone else's fault.

Is this trooper still on active duty?  If so, why?

The last report I read, he was never removed from duty in any way.  He has continued to be on patrol throughout this.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34:17 am »

On administrative leave

http://www.kjrh.com/content/news/2viewgc/story/Trooper-placed-on-leave-after-scuffle/YgnLrhev50-4-GNJy_xicw.cspx
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2009, 12:18:14 pm »

"Repeatedly, and as recently as yesterday, FOX23 had asked OHP if the trooper had been placed on leave and OHP's response, was no."

They lied to them about that for a week, and it wasnt until a reporter knocked on the trooper's door that the trooper admitted he had been on paid leave since June 1.
I guess when deception is so easy and routine they really dont care what anyone thinks.

Martin may have a long wait at taxpayer expense:  The Bixby OHP trooper Rowland is going on, what, 8 months paid leave for his "investigation" after he was turned in by fellow troopers for repeatedly kicking a handcuffed woman.  And the dashcam video of that also remains secret.

Im still amazed that the department that many regard as the top shelf of law enforcement in Oklahoma insists on sinking to the level of the worst, and I imagine a lot of honest cops are shaking their heads in shame and disbelief.

So, where is the 'shock and indignation' from our representatives?
Jari Askins?  Lucky Lamons?
Where do they stand on this, and on reform? 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:34:43 pm by patric » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org