A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:32:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Federal Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 51893 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »

Shutting down the gov automagically throws 800k workers into furlough (which is, you know, unemployment) and, the longer it goes on, will have major echo effects throughout the economy.  Choosing a government shutdown as the preferred method of "starting somewhere" is flat ridiculous. Take the $33 billion (or whatever we're at now), finish up 2011 and move on to Ryan's structural proposal in 2012 and beyond.

For your edification, a list of what/who/how much is affected by the current shutdown.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/04/politics/interactive.govt.shutdown.list/index.html?hpt=T2

I read the list and I can say that my life will be unaffected. I do not think the repubs are "choosing" a shutdown, in my opinion they are tired of kicking the damned can down the rode for the zillionth time.

BTW, is "automagically" a play on words or a typo. Go with the former because I like it.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 03:57:23 pm »

Really?  Harry Reid must not understand, he says this hinges on the GOP wanting to stop taxpayer-funded abortion.  

Yes, thats what the GOP says they are doing.  They aren't even reducing the defecit with it on the "we want to reduce the defecit" bill.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:04:40 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:53 pm »

Wow!  I like Rep. Slaughter (D-NY). 

"They’re here to kill women."

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »

This credit union will help its members if they need it if the government shuts down.

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/government.php

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »

So I read the republican press releases.  They are very careful not to claim this will decrease abortions.  You "won't decrease" by funding.  As this will have no effect on the reasons people have abortions.  How does not funding the private company planned parenthood benefit tax payers if there is no actual decrease in overall funding?  (note: title x recipients in Oklahoma are DHS and planned parenthood). I thought "private" was supposed to be better than government run.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:00 pm »

You may be right about the lack of impact, but isn't cutting spending that will reduce debt/deficit still a good thing? We have to start somewhere, right?
OK, let's start somewhere: Repeal the Bush tax cuts.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »

I remember the good old days when budgets were actually passed before the fiscal year started in October.

Why did the previous Congress fail so miserably to do one of it's primary tasks?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:42 pm »

I remember the good old days when budgets were actually passed before the fiscal year started in October.

Why did the previous Congress fail so miserably to do one of it's primary tasks?
Why have 5 of the last 7 election year Congresses failed to pass a budget in an election year? Why did the Republicans fail to pass a 2006 budget at all when they controlled both houses? In this case, as we vs us noted earlier, there was wide agreement that the budget process should be delayed until the Budget Commission's report was issued.

More to the point, why did Boehner reject a deal last night for $78 billion in cuts to Obama's original budget proposal in exchange for dropping the riders? Clearly it's about ideology and not money.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:45 pm »

Why have 5 of the last 7 election year Congresses failed to pass a budget in an election year? Why did the Republicans fail to pass a 2006 budget at all when they controlled both houses? In this case, as we vs us noted earlier, there was wide agreement that the budget process should be delayed until the Budget Commission's report was issued.

More to the point, why did Boehner reject a deal last night for $78 billion in cuts to Obama's original budget proposal in exchange for dropping the riders? Clearly it's about ideology and not money.

LOL!
Tell me Nate, once the bi-partisan, gold medal, blue ribbon, hand picked, budget comission commission report was released, wow many Gilliand in cuts did they recommend?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

I read the list and I can say that my life will be unaffected. I do not think the repubs are "choosing" a shutdown, in my opinion they are tired of kicking the damned can down the rode for the zillionth time.
Really, you don't think it's choosing a shutdown when the Republicans are insisting that as part of the budget, Congress mandate that DC can't use locally raised funds to pay for abortions? What in holy hell does that have to do with the federal budget?

Gaspar? Uh, as I recall the plan calls for cutting taxes, cutting Social Security benefits, cutting Medicare benefits, cutting non-defense discretionary spending and cutting defense spending. What else is there?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

Really, you don't think it's choosing a shutdown when the Republicans are insisting that as part of the budget, Congress mandate that DC can't use locally raised funds to pay for abortions? What in holy hell does that have to do with the federal budget?

Gaspar? Uh, as I recall the plan calls for cutting taxes, cutting Social Security benefits, cutting Medicare benefits, cutting non-defense discretionary spending and cutting defense spending. What else is there?

So it was a plan you could agree with?

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »

I don't usually quote comments from a blog, for crying out loud, but this was just too good not to post:

"The Tea Party was little more than a Ron Paul cosplay club before it was co-opted by extremely well-funded and connected lobbying/marketing groups like FreedomWorks as a prime rebranding opportunity and aggressively promoted by Fox News for months on end. If they hadn't received such focused and sustained institutional and corporate backing, they'd be in the same league as Code Pink."
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »

I read the list and I can say that my life will be unaffected.

So this means you're pro-shutdown then?

Yay self interest.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

So this means you're pro-shutdown then?

Yay self interest.

Nope. Just don't feel it is as bad as the naysayers believe (and I don't really care).

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42467884/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

Deal reached?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org