A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 07:59:13 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban Food Trucks?  (Read 41401 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2014, 08:33:13 am »

http://mobile-cuisine.com/food-truck-laws-by-city/

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:07 am »

We are actually quite strict and require more expensive licensing than many cities. Who would have thunk it?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:41 am »

We are actually quite strict and require more expensive licensing than many cities. Who would have thunk it?

I know this is city and all.. But the state did just have everybody pay $25 for having a business so they could have small business pay for all those big corporate tax breaks.  Surely it bleeds into City policitcs.  Even then $145 isn't a lot.  Surprised a food truck and a hot dog cart are the same cost.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:55:34 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:02 am »

If a city like Chicago has a 500 foot rule, sounds like the 150 foot rule currently enjoyed is pretty lax.  Curious what the rule is in NYC if anyone cares to research.

edit: according to the article BK posted, it’s 200’ in Chicago.

So I guess DE was told wrong?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »

So I guess DE was told wrong?

Yes, I was.

It's 200' apparently. I posted what the pedicab guy told me while we were discussing it last weekend.

Here's from an article I googled from the Sun.

"Chicago, with about 122 food trucks, according to the city’s latest data, to cities with less severe weather, like Austin, Texas, where the culinary landscape is dotted with high-end street food from nearly 1,500 mobile vendors, and Portland, Ore., which has 728."

So when we are talking Austin and Portland, those are extremes tilted in favor of liberal food truck regulations. My point is that it's not "backwards" to think regulations are necessary.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »

Yes, I was.

It's 200' apparently. I posted what the pedicab guy told me while we were discussing it last weekend.

Here's from an article I googled from the Sun.

"Chicago, with about 122 food trucks, according to the city’s latest data, to cities with less severe weather, like Austin, Texas, where the culinary landscape is dotted with high-end street food from nearly 1,500 mobile vendors, and Portland, Ore., which has 728."

So when we are talking Austin and Portland, those are extremes tilted in favor of liberal food truck regulations. My point is that it's not "backwards" to think regulations are necessary.

It IS, however, backwards to talk of banning food trucks altogether.  JMO

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »

It IS, however, backwards to talk of banning food trucks altogether.  JMO

Remember, according to some people they need to be banned because they don't pay the taxes, and don't carry the burden that B&M stores do and it's unfair competition to the B&M.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01:26 pm »

Remember, according to some people they need to be banned because they don't pay the taxes, and don't carry the burden that B&M stores do and it's unfair competition to the B&M.

I see what you did there...

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:03 am »

I'm okay with setting some form of payment to contribute to the property tax fund (at least for the ones that don't pay rent for a permanent or semi-permanent location), but as far as distance from an existing restaurant, can't we use the rule of reason?  How can it be applied city-wide?  It might make sense to prevent the Dickey's food truck from parking in the street in front of Albert G's on Harvard, but downtown is already dense so distances seem all relative.  Would they throw in some exceptions for festivals where there are enough people downtown to benefit all restaurants and food trucks combined?  Would there really be a problem like what was mentioned as an example of Andolinis parking in front of Hey Mambo all the time to put them out of business?  I just don't see a business owner doing something that shady and with the rule of reason, if they did that, find a way to get them removed.  I'm just not seeing how regulations are going to account for all of the intricacies and varying circumstances.
saintnicster
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:11 am »

Would they throw in some exceptions for festivals where there are enough people downtown to benefit all restaurants and food trucks combined?

If I understood Blake in the video that I found, thing like Food Truck Wednesday and festivals are covered by the "special event" approval/license.  It felt kinda vague, though.
saintnicster
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

https://www.facebook.com/events/239894352866171/

I only just found out about this today.  The townhall meeting is tonight at 6pm at Legends.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »

Food Truck Town Hall is Tonight

http://kwgs.com/post/food-truck-town-hall-tonight

City Councilor Blake Ewing looks for input on a proposed food truck ordinance.

Ewing will host a public forum at 6 p.m. at Legends Dance Hall and Saloon, 514 E Second St. Just 10 days ago he pulled proposed ordinances that would keep food trucks 300 feet from restaurants and events. He said tonight is a chance to hear everyone’s ideas.

"We're going to have free food and PBR and soft drinks. We've got three food trucks — The Dog House, Lick Your Lips Donuts and Mod's are going to be there doing some food truck snacks, and we'll just have a good, laid-back conversation about it," Ewing said."

While Ewing worked with Doghouse owner Josh Lynch on the ordinances, several food truck owners posted concerns on social media before they were pulled.

The main reason for tonight’s forum is to gain some clarity.

"This was an opportunity to bring everybody into the same room, from the city staff — even the health department's going to be there — to talk about just their side of it," Ewing said. "I figured, why not get everybody into one place and have a conversation about what's going on with the food truck stuff, and see if we can't leave with some clarity and some agreements."

More information about the event is available online.
Radvlad
Citizen

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2014, 10:32:41 am »

My point is that it's not "backwards" to think regulations are necessary.
Duh. Go back and read. Not one person said there should not be regulations - it's a place serving food after all. People are saying they should not be banned. That is totally different. And your comment about Chicago not having many food trucks is just dead wrong and the facts show you are wrong.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »

Went to the food truck town hall.

Almost all of the proposed regulations are in the books already. The only change is adding some language about how to measure distance and possibly an increase in distance.

City staff (not blake) was proposing increasing the distance from 150ft to 300 (one block)

Everyone seemed to agree to the idea of increasing the distance to 300ft for festivals, including the truck owners. They also wanted a better definition of what they have to be 150ft from. Currently they have to be 150ft away from Reasors, quiktrip, etc.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2014, 12:37:41 pm »

It might make sense to prevent the Dickey's food truck from parking in the street in front of Albert G's on Harvard, but downtown is already dense so distances seem all relative. 

Probably not a good comparison - anyone who would eat Dickey's BBQ would never appreciate real food/taste/flavor as found at Albert G's.  (Dickey's is the Taco Mayo of BBQ....)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org