A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:26:50 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Tulsa's residential trash system  (Read 126312 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:08 am »

We can get by on the smallest.  All non-animal food waste goes in the composter, and we are very conscientious about glass, metal, and plastic recycling. If we ever had a rare week with lots of waste I can always use the dumpster at work.

Trying to remember from the start of the conversation though, will any green waste need to go in separate bags or the cart?  We don’t generate much of it except when we trim bushes or have limbs and twigs after a good storm.  I mulch lawn clippings and leaves.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:22 am »

We can get by on the smallest.  All non-animal food waste goes in the composter, and we are very conscientious about glass, metal, and plastic recycling. If we ever had a rare week with lots of waste I can always use the dumpster at work.

Trying to remember from the start of the conversation though, will any green waste need to go in separate bags or the cart?  We don’t generate much of it except when we trim bushes or have limbs and twigs after a good storm.  I mulch lawn clippings and leaves.

Here you go:

I thought I would start a thread to try and answer any questions people have about the new trash changes.

I am a fan of the proposed system.

Two carts, one for trash and one for recycling...both picked up the same day. The cost for the new system is projected to be about what I pay now.
The trucks will be CNG powered.

If you decide that you can get by with a medium size cart you can save a buck and a half and the smaller cart is another buck and a half even cheaper.

No one is forced to recycle. You can put everything into the trash cart if desired.

There will be extra charges for yard waste that doesn't fit into your trash cart. Composters and people who use mulching mowers won't pay for those who don't. Projected costs for bags for green waste should be around 75 to 80 cents per bag.

Any questions?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2012, 09:16:44 am »

Muchos Garcias & Bueno Nachos!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:45 am »

At our neighborhood meeting there was a lot of uncertainty (even fear and anger) about this change. There was also a bunch of mis-information floating around.

1. Worry that the pick up spot will change. Today they get pick up behind the house and they don't want to have to haul the cart around.
2. Worry that 95 gallons per week is not enough
3. Worry that they won't have enough carts in a multi-tenant duplex/triplex etc.
4. Suspicion of local government
5. Suspicion of change
6. Suspicion of recycling
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2012, 11:59:34 am »

All the cogniscenti know that when the revolution comes it will be in the form of large plastic trash cans. With RFID. Sold at inflated prices. The idea is that we will first thin the population by incarcerating those unable to understand the new rules and wait patiently as the aged and infirm collapse under the strain of pushing the carts around. At that point they will be stuffed into the carts and disposed of quietly. That's why they are so large....

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:58 pm »

All the cogniscenti know that when the revolution comes it will be in the form of large plastic trash cans. With RFID. Sold at inflated prices. The idea is that we will first thin the population by incarcerating those unable to understand the new rules and wait patiently as the aged and infirm collapse under the strain of pushing the carts around. At that point they will be stuffed into the carts and disposed of quietly. That's why they are so large....

What’s next?  Money on plastic cards?  Photo-taking telephones?

The horror!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »

What is Shadows going to do now?  That's probably verbatim to what he would have posted!

Classic!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »

Grin

That's just completely awesome. You clearly need to get into stand up.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
rdj
City Father

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

RM, for those of us that live in the NW Quadrant what size cart do we have currently?  I'm sure it's stamped on the cart somewhere but I haven't seen it in a very quick cursory glance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:07:14 am by rdj » Logged

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »

Thanks. My next appearance is in a camper, down by the river....

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »

RM, for those of that live in the NW Quadrant what size cart do we have currently?  I'm sure it's stamped on the cart somewhere but I haven't seen it in a very quick cursory glance.

95 gallon carts are currently used for all houses west of Yale and north of I-244. The new cart sizes are 35, 65, and 95.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:33 pm »

95 gallon carts are currently used for all houses west of Yale and north of I-244. The new cart sizes are 35, 65, and 95.

OK, one more question RM...how big are the green recycle bins for those of us that recycle now?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »

18 gallon

Power is nothing till you use it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:44 pm »

My mother and I generate at the most, 3 thirteen gallon bags of trash a week (and most weeks it's just two bags).  Alot of that has to do with our recycling habits.
If you don’t recycle as you are told just wait the trash cop will be knocking at your door making out tickets for trash violations.  If the trash board has qualms about recycling service, because as you have been told they consider the cash income from the recycles to subsidize the new advanced pickup that is going to outdistance all other cities.  You are going to get a blue ribbon for the exceptional to all other cities. 

If you don‘t recycle they own the water meters so they will just take your’s out.

Some one should post the items that are not recyclable.  Our friends in Japan established recycling prior to WWII and today the products they produce can not be repaired because of our higher wage scale.  A $17.00 toaster cannot be repaired when the average wage employee is costing you $20,00 an hour. 

The trash/recycle carts will possible be like the time police cars were quipped with fire extinguishers.  Later they made a check to see if they needed to be refilled.  After conducting a search not very many could be found.       

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:20:57 pm by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »

If you don’t recycle as you are told just wait the trash cop will be knocking at your door making out tickets for trash violations.  If the trash board has qualms about recycling service, because as you have been told they consider the cash income from the recycles to subsidize the new advanced pickup that is going to outdistance all other cities.  You are going to get a blue ribbon for the exceptional to all other cities. 

If you don‘t recycle they own the water meters so they will just take your’s out.

Some one should post the items that are not recyclable.  Our friends in Japan established recycling prior to WWII and today the products they produce can not be repaired because of our higher wage scale.  A $17.00 toaster cannot be repaired when the average wage employee is costing you $20,00 an hour. 

The trash/recycle carts will possible be like the time police cars were quipped with fire extinguishers.  Later they made a check to see if they needed to be refilled.  After conducting a search not very many could be found.       

Dementia is setting in.  Recycling isn't mandatory.  That's been stated pretty unilaterally.

Please, just stop now.  You're being silly.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org