A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:06:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Arizona Massacre  (Read 94577 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

Except for the fact that documents found at his home indicated he used just that term (assassinate) on a document hand-written with Gifford's name on it.

A lot of it from what a friend told a reporter has to do with a question he posed to Gifford in 2008 at a town hall (I can't find the exact wording of the question, but she either didn't answer it or brushed him off because the question was quite strange).  The friend indicates that was the turning point for his behavioral change.

He, you, Nathan, or I can use the term "assassination" all we want in relation to this shooting.  That still doesn't change the fact this is more of a classic rampage than a classic assassination.  Assassination rarely comes from anger.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »

You accept that drivel from that liberal hack, and you have the balls to question what I read?

Which hack?  I wrote "Nobody listens to them.  They don't have an audience like their yangs do."

Why do you think they BK'd?

I question the crap you read because it seems beneath your intellect.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

Given what I have read today, I think a bigger cracker will be needed.

you read?  I thought you just copy and pasted from Freep.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

He, you, Nathan, or I can use the term "assassination" all we want in relation to this shooting.  That still doesn't change the fact this is more of a classic rampage than a classic assassination.  Assassination rarely comes from anger.

I agree with that.  Assassinations are PURELY political, like what John Wilkes Booth did to President Lincoln.  I think the jury's still out on the Kennedy assassination, but you know what I mean.  While this, at it's base is political (simply because the target was a congresswoman), it reminds me a little more of the attempted Reagan assassination for the suspect's mental capacity and emotional state of mind.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »

Tweet from @nbcnightlynews:

Aides offer public way to send messages of support for all AZ victims: giffordswellwishes@gmail.com

How many Beck-efreakiens you think are going to send seriously F'ed up emails to that one?
dbacks fan
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2011, 03:28:00 pm »

Tweet from @nbcnightlynews:

How many Beck-efreakiens you think are going to send seriously F'ed up emails to that one?

Probably the same number of "ditto heads" that agree with Rush that this is the Dems fault.

"Let me do this here at the outset, folks, because this is what all of this is really all about.  It is all political.  I was blamed for the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.  We all know that Mark Penn said that an Oklahoma City-type event is what Obama's gonna need if he wants to get the American people back. 

After 9/11 happened, Democrats are running around lamenting that it did not happen on Clinton's watch.  After the Times Square attack happened, Mayor Bloomberg said: It has to be an angry Tea Party person upset at Obamacare.  It's the template.  It's the narrative.  There's never any evidence.  Every projection, every prediction, every association that any act of violence has been made with the conservative right has fallen on emptiness.  There has never been any evidence of it.  To the extent that politics is involved in assassinations, Lee Harvey Oswald, JFK, he was a communist back from Moscow. "

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011011/content/01125106.guest.html

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2011, 04:58:58 pm »

Calmly walking up to someone and shooting them in the head doesn't make it sound like he was in a rage. Whatever may have happened after that doesn't have much bearing on his attempting to assassinate Giffords.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »

Calmly walking up to someone and shooting them in the head doesn't make it sound like he was in a rage. Whatever may have happened after that doesn't have much bearing on his attempting to assassinate Giffords.

I'm talking about the motivation being a simmering rage.  I have no idea how pissed off he was at that moment, but apparently he was really pissed off for a long time prior to the incident.  This has more in common with school yard shootings than Oswald shooting Kennedy.  Capiche?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 05:28:25 pm »

I have no idea how pissed off he was at that moment, but apparently he was really pissed off for a long time prior to the incident.  This has more in common with school yard shootings than Oswald shooting Kennedy.  Capiche?
Almost half of assassination attempts since 1949 involved a grievance, whether real or imagined. This incident is actually very typical, both in the identity of the assassin (white, male) and other factors (use of a gun, having a grievance). If he made previous threats against her, that would be unusual. Threats to the target are almost always communicated to someone (usually a friend or relative of the assassin, occasionally to some other public official), but almost never to the subject.

If he was hoping to be killed in the attack, that's also very typical of assassins in the US since 1949. Over half expected/hoped to be killed. Many of them were suicidal. Generally speaking, by the time they get to the point where assassination is a viable choice in their mind, they have decided that exposing whatever injustice it is they seek to remedy is more important than their own survival.

It'll be interesting to see if he ever divulges the reason why he felt the need to kill other members of the crowd. It's possible he thought it would help him escape. It's possible that, like the guy who killed the Unitarians in Tennessee last year, that he decided all those present in the crowd were godless liberals who deserved to die. It's possible that he had a psychotic break after shooting Giffords.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

In other news, Rep. Giffords is breathing on her own and moving her arms.

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-giffords-update-20110111,0,1099108.story

Now, back to more important things like who other than the shooter is to blame.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »

A great start for a conversation within the CjC. What a whiny little turd and apologist that writer is. Seriously, "we are not as popular as Palin or Limbaugh, so our violent rhetoric means less."

I guess this leftist thinks Palin is more important than Obama, who himself has a history of violent rhetoric:

http://thespeechatimeforchoosing.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/did-barack-obamas-violent-rhetoric-inspire-mass-murder-in-arizona/

http://www.therightperspective.org/2011/01/10/a-history-of-obamas-violent-rhetoric-pt-2/

Thanks Guido,  I have been put in my place by the master.    BTW,  my brother in law agrees with every word you share,  sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.   But I forgot,  this board belongs to the posters who only follow the talking points of the right.  I was going to be rude but decided that all of the hate talk that I dislike need not be inflamed by my own personal opinions.   I do try to keep on open mind and read and listen to those who have a different opinion than myself.   Maybe I can learn something.   

Back to the topic of this thread,   I have tried to follow the Arizona legislature,  did they get their rules on protesting at funerals passed,  I sure hope so.  The families do not deserve to be confronted with the Westboro garbage during this time.   My prayers go out for the families and friends of the Tucson Massacre at this time.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
dbacks fan
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 06:25:24 pm »

Thanks Guido,  I have been put in my place by the master.    BTW,  my brother in law agrees with every word you share,  sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.   But I forgot,  this board belongs to the posters who only follow the talking points of the right.  I was going to be rude but decided that all of the hate talk that I dislike need not be inflamed by my own personal opinions.   I do try to keep on open mind and read and listen to those who have a different opinion than myself.   Maybe I can learn something.  

Back to the topic of this thread,   I have tried to follow the Arizona legislature,  did they get their rules on protesting at funerals passed,  I sure hope so.  The families do not deserve to be confronted with the Westboro garbage during this time.   My prayers go out for the families and friends of the Tucson Massacre at this time.  

It is on the governors desk and should be signed shortly.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:30:41 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »

In other news, Rep. Giffords is breathing on her own and moving her arms.
Excellent news.

Does it bother anyone else in the least that the State of Arizona thinks it can dictate in which public places Phelps and his clan may or may not spew their filth?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »

Compelling post.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »

[quote author=nathanm link=topic=16899.msg185550#msg185550 date=129479210

Does it bother anyone else in the least that the State of Arizona thinks it can dictate in which public places Phelps and his clan may or may not spew their filth?

Nope. And before you say it, I do not fear the slippery slope.

This is one I will agree on completely. You can regulate where and when protest occur. As a side note, I wouldn't want to protest something like this in Tucson, I think they may have to worry about more than their tires.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org