A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:06:16 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone check these things?  (Read 3343 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:00 pm »

Chevrolet Novas didn't sell in Latin America. The name translates as "it doesn't go."

Standard Oil changed their acronym to EXXON allegedly because ESSO was a derogatory term in some European language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHt44BuASk

And today we have a successful test of a laser weapon aboard the USS Ponce. The USS Ponce? The name comes from Ponce in Puerto Rico, a city named for Ponce de Leon, but it's also Brit slang for a driver/guardian employed by a prostitute or an effeminate man (not that there's anything wrong with that.) If we're trying to project power and authority across the oceans, maybe it's a good idea to keep this one ship out of British ports.

Next thing you know, we'll have lasers...in space.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm merely being a sharp-shooter here... but

The NOVA thing is a myth that needs to die:
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

And the Out Space Treaty prohibits the placement of weaponry in space.

Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »

I'm merely being a sharp-shooter here... but

The NOVA thing is a myth that needs to die:
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

And the Out Space Treaty prohibits the placement of weaponry in space.

Grin

"No va" doesn't translate as it doesn't work? Dr. Garcia - my Spanish professor - would likely disagree.

And I knew about the treaty prohibiting the militarization of space. We also have solemn treaties with the various native tribes that gave them land we would never encroach upon.

BTW, what was that secret orbiter the Air Force just recovered after a couple of months in space? You don't think they'd put some sort of weapon up there...in secret?

If I get any more paranoid I'll have to start listening to Glenn Beck.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:44:15 pm »

"No va" doesn't translate as it doesn't work? Dr. Garcia - my Spanish professor - would likely disagree.

And I knew about the treaty prohibiting the militarization of space. We also have solemn treaties with the various native tribes that gave them land we would never encroach upon.

BTW, what was that secret orbiter the Air Force just recovered after a couple of months in space? You don't think they'd put some sort of weapon up there...in secret?

If I get any more paranoid I'll have to start listening to Glenn Beck.

Or, start listening to Creed.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/12/scott-stapp-obama-assassination-threat-creed-family/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »

Reminds me a while back some Norwegian country was introducing a new car at an auto show and behind it in huge letters was FART!  Everyone was taking pictures and laughing.  Apparently in that country "fart" means "speed" and they weren't aware of what it meant in English speaking countries lol. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org