A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:54:52 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Immigration Reform in 2009  (Read 4739 times)
Rex
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:20:22 pm »

I asked this once before, but in light of recent developments....

Do you believe we will have a comprehensive immigration reform in 2009?

What form do you think it will take?

How do you think it will effect Oklahoma?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:21:18 pm »

No.  Hard issues will not be tackled.  Immigration is a hard issue for a nation of immigrants to tackle.     I also don't think social security or medicare funding will really be addressed.  Nor will a real balanced budget.  Similarly, only token steps will be made no health care reform.

I suspected Obama's plan was to just relax enforcement as an initial step.  But with the drug war ramping up that is not really an option.  Expect troops on the border in some capacity in the not-too distant future.  But not really to address immigration.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:11:29 pm »

It has me worried. I hired a mariachi band and got two gringos named Murray and Archie.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:30 pm »

It has me worried. I hired a mariachi band and got two gringos named Murray and Archie.

Kinda blows that lie about how they are just doing the jobs Americans won't do right out out of the water.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:45:56 am »

Seeing how Obama most likely shares Bush and McCain's views on the so-called immigration reform which is amnesty with hollow promises of enforcement with a little dash of token factory raids to make it look like they are doing something, I hope they do nothing.  Doing nothing is way much better than amnesty with hollow promises of enforcement. Because at least doing nothing does not make the situation worse.The only way illegal immigration will be solved on a federal level is if we get a house and senate full of politicians who are actually against illegal immigration.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Rex
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

From what I hear, a reform is in the works.  It pretty much will amount to an amnesty.

Could be the fines and fees paid by these folks is a shot in the arm to the government.

BTW, I am realy surprised this topic did not attract much more interest.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »

It seems like all the politicians are just following Bush's policy on immigration reform.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »

The only way illegal immigration will be solved on a federal level is if we get a house and senate full of politicians who are actually against illegal immigration.
No, the only way it will be solved is to improve the conditions people are leaving so they won't have as much incentive to come here illegally.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:49 pm »

We need to improve Mexico?
Can we do that?

I suppose we could give them a bailout.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 06:56:32 pm »

We need to improve Mexico?
Can we do that?
Not directly.

Probably not.

My point is that barring an improvement of conditions there (and everywhere else immigrants come from illegally), there is absolutely nothing we can do to 'solve' illegal immigration.

Does anyone honestly think it's going to go better than the war on drugs?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org