A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 12:28:07 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was the "Doc" that gave traffic reports?  (Read 5650 times)
Joey
Citizen

« on: August 29, 2012, 08:14:57 am »

Growing up, anytime we were in the car, my parents listened to KRMG in the morning. "Doc _________" would give traffic reports from his helicopter.  What was his name and what happened to him?  Wasn't he a dentist?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:24:04 am »

Growing up, anytime we were in the car, my parents listened to KRMG in the morning. "Doc _________" would give traffic reports from his helicopter.  What was his name and what happened to him?  Wasn't he a dentist?

Doc Nelson.  He was a dentist.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:26:53 am by Townsend » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:29:07 am »

Doc Nelson wasn't it?

Yes it was Doc Nelson.  Some of his colloquialisms for specific kinds of incidents were funny (and in some cases a little controversial).  He was a dentist, hence "Doc".

EDIT: Curse you , southie!   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:18 am »

EDIT: Curse you , southie! 

Do I task you?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:40:29 am »

Yes it was Doc Nelson.  Some of his colloquialisms for specific kinds of incidents were funny (and in some cases a little controversial).  He was a dentist, hence "Doc".

EDIT: Curse you , southie!   Grin

“Three car rocky”
“Two car doo-dah”
“Got a report of police chasing an armed robber from the Albertson’s at 51st & Harvard.  Got a little pork in the pants...”

My FI said he often would see Doc sipping coffee in the lounge at Christiansen listening to a police scanner.  When it was near time for his segment, he’d go out, start the 150 and do a run-up while giving his traffic report. 

I believe he was also an FI in his spare time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:54 am »

“Three car rocky”
“Two car doo-dah”
“Got a report of police chasing an armed robber from the Albertson’s at 51st & Harvard.  Got a little pork in the pants...”

My FI said he often would see Doc sipping coffee in the lounge at Christiansen listening to a police scanner.  When it was near time for his segment, he’d go out, start the 150 and do a run-up while giving his traffic report. 

I believe he was also an FI in his spare time.

I remember hearing that as well.  I haven't been to Christiansen in so long (last time was with my pilot buddy I used to get right-seat time with).

I wasn't sure if he was rated in a whirly or not, but now I do remember that he flew a little 2 seater Cessna.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Joey
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:51:03 am »

Yes, Doc Nelson.  Having flashbacks of Les Nesman now.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:08:29 am »

Having flashbacks of Les Nesman now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSQLd4sWcO0[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

Yes, Doc Nelson.  Having flashbacks of Les Nesman now.

"Oh, the humanity!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg&feature=related[/youtube]
Joey
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:30 am »

Is Doc Nelson still around?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

I believe I remember that he died when his helicopter hit some power lines.  I may be thinking of someone else, but I think it happend about 10 years ago??

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »

I believe I remember that he died when his helicopter hit some power lines.  I may be thinking of someone else, but I think it happend about 10 years ago??

No, actually that was a friend of mine's dad down on the Arkansas River around Bixby. 

Also, not sure if Doc was a whirleybird pilot.  FAIK he always did KRMG traffic in a fixed wing craft.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:32:49 am »

No, actually that was a friend of mine's dad down on the Arkansas River around Bixby. 

Also, not sure if Doc was a whirleybird pilot.  FAIK he always did KRMG traffic in a fixed wing craft.

It was always reported as a traffic helicopter. His dentist practice was last at 101st and Sheridan I believe.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:40 am »

It was always reported as a traffic helicopter. His dentist practice was last at 101st and Sheridan I believe.

They may have used a helicopter in the late '70's into the '80's, that sounds familiar, not sure if Doc was the traffic guy then or not.  I do know for certain he flew a Cessna 150 which he kept at Christiansen Aviation in the 1990's. 

And yes, his practice was next to the old McCartney's at 101st & Sheridan. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org