A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:11:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Lobby or How I Chose God Over Country  (Read 107235 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »

Wow. That's a awful tall soap box to fall off of.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:06 pm »

Wow. That's a awful tall soap box to fall off of.

Any comment I come up with just sounds cavalier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:47 pm »

Any comment I come up with just sounds cavalier.

Waiting for the guvna to chime in....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 04:38:38 pm »

Waiting for the guvna to chime in....

She hasn't been very active on this thread.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »

They could sell instead of losing the business.  That way, they keep their beliefs happy and they allow the job creators to do their thing.

I'm sure the fines will be much less than what has been yelled from the parapets.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:55 am »

Old article...

But, when they finally owe more than their company has do you think they will stand for it with their personal fortune?  Or do you think they will say Hobby Lobby is an incorporated entity unique and seperate from the owners and thereby their personal assets are protected?

Religion: personal and applies to my company
Debts: company is desperate from the person

Yay hypocrisy!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58:22 am »

Old article...

But, when they finally owe more than their company has do you think they will stand for it with their personal fortune?  Or do you think they will say Hobby Lobby is an incorporated entity unique and seperate from the owners and thereby their personal assets are protected?

Religion: personal and applies to my company
Debts: company is desperate from the person

Yay hypocrisy!

It'll never get that far.  I'd gamble the money will become very important before any real damage is done.

That's if any fines are levied at all.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 02:05:24 pm »

The democrats have targeted Texa$$ as a turn around because of the huge potential in Latino citizens. The current tribe of dumbabies will migrate here when they realize it's their only safe haven other than Mexico.

Texas Legislature Wants To Reward Companies That Deny Employees Contraception
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/01/28/1504661/hobby-lobby-texas-obamacare/?mobile=nc
By Annie-Rose Strasser on Jan 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm
A bill recently introduced in the Texas state house aims to reward employers who violate Obamacare, offering subsidies to any company that uses religious objection as an excuse for denying its employees copay-free contraception.
House Bill 649, introduced by state Rep. Jonathan Stickland (R), was apparently inspired by the controversy over craft chain store Hobby Lobby. That store sued to deny its employees contraception coverage, citing its male president’s religious objections. But since Hobby Lobby, and companies like it, will be forced to pay a fine for violating the law, Strickland wants to compensate them with tax breaks:
The tax credit would be limited to the amount of a federal fine that the company pays or the amount of state tax the company owes.
“When a business is being stressed nearly to the point of bankruptcy by punitive federal taxes, of course the state should give them relief,” Stickland said in the news release.[...]
“The Obama administration’s mandate and their threats to bury Hobby Lobby with $1.3 million per day in tax penalties aren’t just unconstitutional, they’re unconscionable,” he said. “It is simply appalling that any business owner should have to choose between violating their religious convictions and watching their business be strangled by the strong arm of Federal mandates and taxation.”
By offering to help compensate these companies, Strickland is accepting a drastic cut in funding to the Texas government. His plan proposes letting organizations like Hobby Lobby off the hook for state taxes up to the amount they owe in federal penalties. Since Hobby Lobby is estimated to owe a fine of $1.3 million a day (more, in a year, than it would be paying in state taxes), Hobby Lobby would get a pass on giving a single cent to the state of Texas.
But more importantly, it’s unlikely that this bill would survive if it went to the courts. Federal law does not simply supersede conflicting state law, it also invalidates state laws that “stand… as an obstacle to the accomplishment and execution of the full purposes and objectives of Congress” — a doctrine known as “obstacle preemption.” Since the entire point of this Texas bill is to thwart a federal law, it would likely run afoul of this obstacle preemption.
It is "we the people" and not "my rights trump your rights"....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

It is "we the people" and not "my rights trump your rights"....

Except of course, it is my right to own firearms; then it's all about you and the Brady Bunch Buddies, ain't it?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »

Except of course, it is my right to own firearms; then it's all about you and the Brady Bunch Buddies, ain't it?

Wrong thread.... Hobby Lobby does not need to do comprehensive background checks. God is dead. Lips sealed
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »

Wrong thread.... Hobby Lobby does not need to do comprehensive background checks. God is dead. Lips sealed

You brought up the "trumping of rights"....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »

Significantly, the rule draws a line at non-profit organizations and would not permit for-profit entities (companies like Hobby Lobby, for instance) to take advantage of the religious exemption.
Ha ha...
Everything You Need To Know About The Administration’s New Birth Control Rules
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/02/01/1528221/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-administrations-new-birth-control-rules/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »

When was it free birth control became an enumerated right?

I'm calling this discriminatory.  If I want to practice BC, I have to pay for jimmy hats.  Where's my free birth control?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »

When was it free birth control became an enumerated right?

I'm calling this discriminatory.  If I want to practice BC, I have to pay for jimmy hats.  Where's my free birth control?

http://www.okstate.edu/UHS/healthed.php

Free Condoms
Did you know you can get free condoms? If you have decided to have a sexual relationship, stop by room 154 of University Health Services for your free condoms BEFORE you decide to take that next big step. Our hours are 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.

http://sexetc.org/states/oklahoma/

You can get condoms for free or at a reduced cost from health clinics (like Planned Parenthood), HIV testing centers, and local health departments. (Call 1-800-230-PLAN (7526) for the nearest Planned Parenthood Health Center.)

http://www.lesko.com/free_con_dom.php

OklahomaState Department of Health
1000 NE 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73117
405-271-5600
800-522-0203
www.health.state.ok.us
Email: webmaster@health.state.ok.us

I wish they were offered for free in many more places.  Schools, churches, hotel bed tables next to the bibles, etc, QT's, hospitals, and wherever people go to get child care and every healthcare provider.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:50:33 pm by Townsend » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »

http://www.okstate.edu/UHS/healthed.php

http://sexetc.org/states/oklahoma/

http://www.lesko.com/free_con_dom.php

I wish they were offered for free in many more places.  Schools, churches, hotel bed tables next to the bibles, etc, QT's, hospitals, and wherever people go to get child care and every healthcare provider.

Zing!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org