A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:22:11 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archer Market  (Read 65632 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »

That was fast.  Sounds awesome.  Hope the food is good and that the business model works.

Table Talk: Z's Taco Shop & Market to open tonight in the Brady Arts District

Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:37 pm

BY SCOTT CHERRY World Scene Writer  |  0 comments  

Z’s Taco Shop & Market opens tonight at 305 E. Archer St. in the Brady Arts District.

The new business will offer a Topeca coffee bar, bagel bar, Mexican food items, organic produce, dairy foods and some essential living supplies.

It is located in space that formerly housed Folks Urban Market and Pantry.

“I live downtown and went to Urban Market quite often, so I know it’s important to carry some of the essentials people need,” owner Alberto Miranda said.

“The restaurant will be a big part of the business. We will have breakfast burritos, street tacos, tortas, wet burritos, nachos, handmade tamales and several varieties of salsas.”

He said Z’s Taco Shop also will carry premade sandwiches and heat-and-serve items for those in a rush, especially around the lunch hour.

The restaurant will be open to 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday for late-night customers.

“Maybe we can get some people going other places late at night to come over to us,” Miranda said.

Z’s will be open 5-10 p.m. Tuesday. Regular hours will 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. The phone number is 918-406-6009.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »

That was fast.  Sounds awesome.  Hope the food is good and that the business model works.

Anything with "Taco Shop" in the name can't be bad.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »

This is simply amazing to me. When did Folk's Urban Market move out? They only closed on August 12th. It's now September 16th.

There has to be more to this story. How on earth could a new business get a lease, licensing, inspections, vendor contracts, vendor deliveries, stocking, staff hired and trained not to mention any physical changes done in 35 days?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:37 pm »

Same people sign a lease on the same space, then dump the old company as "failed" and operate now free from the old debt?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:22 pm »

Same people sign a lease on the same space, then dump the old company as "failed" and operate now free from the old debt?

If it is the same folks, the Zenthoefers, they seem to be servicing whatever debt exists.  Their are no current collections against them or Folks, and no bankruptcy filing.

It would look as if they are being responsible entrepreneurs. 

Failures are the ultimate teachers.  Ya suck it up and move on.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »

If it is the same folks, the Zenthoefers....

"Z's Taco Shop"   coincidence?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »

Two observations:
1. When suing someone for hampering your business, it has more effect when their business is "closed"
2. Rebranding is an easy way to change and cover the reason for failure. (assuming you don't carry those failures into your new business)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:15 pm »

"Z's Taco Shop"   coincidence?

Yes.  According to http://www.newson6.com/story/26551726/taco-shop-market-opens-in-former-downtown-grocery-building
Z's owner, Zareth Gonzales, and her boyfriend, Alberto Miranda, signed the lease the day after Folk's closed its doors.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2014, 11:03:20 pm »

This is simply amazing to me. When did Folk's Urban Market move out? They only closed on August 12th. It's now September 16th.

There has to be more to this story. How on earth could a new business get a lease, licensing, inspections, vendor contracts, vendor deliveries, stocking, staff hired and trained not to mention any physical changes done in 35 days?

As long as the business isn't named "Shotgun Sam's" you can probably get things done without a lot of hassles.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:25 pm »

Step one:  don't change anything
http://www.newson6.com/story/26551726/taco-shop-market-opens-in-former-downtown-grocery-building
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2014, 08:09:29 am »

They already made a good first step, in my opinion, by marketing their restaurant food more than the market.  Any place downtown needs to be a restaurant first and a market second to succeed, at least until more people live downtown.  If the tacos are good, there isn't any reason this place shouldn't succeed.  I'll be checking it out soon.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2014, 11:31:41 am »

Yeah.. they are following Blakes business plan unlike what happened when he gave up management control to Folk's.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2014, 01:18:23 pm »

If the tacos are good, there isn't any reason this place shouldn't succeed.  I'll be checking it out soon.

I'd have to look at the math to make that determination. Owned by Brickhugger (Tory and Macy Snyder), that building has excellent potential, and is in a great location.  It has also had quite an investment put into the finish before Folks/Archer opened, so I would expect that they would get at least market for it, which should be around $18/sf/yr based on comps in the area.  

If they are only leasing the central retail space, that is 1,378/sf, so the monthly would be around $2,067/mo. Your probably looking at around $3,000/mo with general expenses (not including any equipment or ancillary services).  So basically you would be paying $100 a day for rent.

Of course I haven't been there yet, so if they have leased the entire retail/restaurant space (and that's kinda what it looked like in the TW pics), that is about 5,000sf, or around $7,500mo.  Even without utilities or other monthly expenses that would mean you are paying $250 a day for rent.

Not really sure of the numbers on how a taco, and the labor behind it, translates to profit, but it would seem that you would need to sell quite a few to pay the rent.

I love me some tacos, so I will defiantly be visiting.  I hope they do very very well, but I would anticipate (and I'm sure they do too) some changes in their offering as they begin to digest cost.  I think the market portion of the deal is actually where the risk is, because market margins are far thiner than restaurant margins, and require far more volume to remain profitable.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:00:08 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
saintnicster
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2014, 08:23:29 am »

Yeah.. they are following Blakes business plan unlike what happened when he gave up management control to Folk's.

Too bad Blake couldn't have done it in the first place and actually opened it.  Instead?  He opens (and closes) Back Alley, re-does Back Alley as White Flag, semi-closes that and repurposes it as a pure bar/venue, opens The Phoenix, Legends, and The Fur Shop.  I think I'm missing a place or two.  All of that while also trying to be a City Councilor.  Too many pots, all boiling over in a two year window.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:56 am »

Too bad Blake couldn't have done it in the first place and actually opened it.  Instead?  He opens (and closes) Back Alley, re-does Back Alley as White Flag, semi-closes that and repurposes it as a pure bar/venue, opens The Phoenix, Legends, and The Fur Shop.  I think I'm missing a place or two.  All of that while also trying to be a City Councilor.  Too many pots, all boiling over in a two year window.

Starting to sound like too many....

None of those are like the "Showtime Rotisserie Over" - ya can't "set it and forget it"....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org