A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:12:58 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Shuttle Could be Housed at Tulsa Air & Space Museum  (Read 4947 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »

This is pretty cool . . . surprised I missed this earlier.  I don't know how likely the acquisition would be, especially since we're going up against Cape Canaveral and Huntsville, AL, but it would do a lot to highlight Tulsa and Oklahoma's aerospace heritage.  And be super cool.

http://tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=48892

The Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium is making a bid to become the permanent home for a NASA space shuttle, beginning as early as 2010, as the orbiters are retired.

While TASM is awaiting word from NASA regarding its response to a Request for Information from the agency, the museum is lining up the support it will need to arrange and finance such a high-profile acquisition, said Jim Bridenstine, director of TASM.

As reported first by the Tulsa Business Journal on its Web site and in an e-mail blast, Bridenstine confirmed the proposal April 14 when he thanked U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., for writing a letter in support of Tulsa’s efforts to obtain a shuttle. Coburn was in a Town Hall session at the Tulsa Technology Center Peoria Campus.

Bridenstine said TASM had responded to the NASA RFI before the March 17 deadline.

“It would be a phenomenal opportunity for the city of Tulsa,” he said.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:27:28 pm »

Heh, the "Adopt A Shuttle" program.  Wink

This would be a cool piece to add to our collection at TASM. 

I'm curious if the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. put in a bid.  They've got a fantastic collection and a replica shuttle in the lobby.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »

Now that would make a great attraction. I am so glad we have the TASM. Havent been in a while and need to go again. But having that large building and the shuttle would put it over the top in my book. I like the airplane/air history stuff for Tulsa and all, but really would like more space history and space info type stuff personally.

There is actually a tiny little space museum in a small town here in Oklahoma that I saw on the news once that for some strange, twist of fate, reason has an incredible collection of space memorabilia. Including one of the old capsules and space suits from NASA's early days. I have wondered if it would be possible to "buy them out" or convince them to put their stuff in a larger museum that would be seen by more people. If Tulsa were to get the shuttle and that larger building, that might be enough to convince them. Oooh and what a coup over OKC landing this puppy would be.  Tongue  Not that I am competing or anything.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:10:59 am »

That would be awesome.  Definitely an attraction that would draw people in to see it.  A weekend trip to Tulsa from KC, Dallas, OKC, Wichita or whatever . . . it usually isn't one attraction that will get people to town, but add a nice zoo, some museums, a lively event venue and entertainment downtown and it would make a real nice trip.

I saw this a few weeks back but neglected to post it.  Glad you brought it up.  I hope we really fight for this.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:56:23 am »

Heh, the "Adopt A Shuttle" program.  Wink

This would be a cool piece to add to our collection at TASM. 

I'm curious if the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. put in a bid.  They've got a fantastic collection and a replica shuttle in the lobby.

Doesn't look like they did.  Here's the link to the list of contenders:

http://tulsabusiness.com/industry_article.asp?cID=o&aID=39446039.9078686.635843.9938437.9961112.646&aID2=48902

Space Shuttle Contenders
Stephen Hillman
4/27/2009

Tulsa’s Air and Space Museum fits NASA’s basic requirements as a potential home for a retiring shuttle because of its educational mission and placement on a 10,000-foot runway, but there are also several strong contenders in the running.

And, there is reason to believe the selection process could turn political.

Tulsa’s response to NASA’s RFI was primed for the process, with letters of support from Oklahoma NASA astronauts John Herrington and William R. Pogue; V. Burns Hargis, president of Oklahoma State University, which has 37 years of experience in education partnerships with NASA; Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry; Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor; U.S. Sen. James M. Inhofe, R-Okla., and U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, MD, R-Okla.

Here is what the competition looks like:

National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio

Air Force Secretary Michael Donley was tapped to send the letter to the space agency in March making the request.

U.S. Congressman Michael R. Turner, acting on behalf of the Ohio Congressional Delegation, sent a letter to NASA, saying “The National Museum of the United States Air Force is the ideal facility to preserve the legacy of NASA’s Space Shuttle program.”

Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, Fla.

Three former KSC directors Jay Honeycutt, Jim Kennedy and Bob Crippen – the latter a former astronaut who piloted Columbia on its maiden voyage in 1981 – are involved in the bid to bring one of the birds to a final perch at KSC.

The U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville, Ala.

Although the “Largest Space Museum in the World” has an orbiter mock-up named Pathfinder on display, we couldn’t find anything that said the center wanted a newly retired shuttle

Museum of Flight, Seattle

Just a blog reference at the seattlest.com: “King5 tells us that Seattle’s Museum of Flight … could be home to one of those shuttles in a year or two, and that, of course, would be downright really frickin’ cool. It has to go somewhere! Right? Why not here, near Boeing, which – as King5 pointedly clarifies – is a ‘major contractor’ for NASA?”

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Ore.

The Web site www.ipmskalamazoo.org says the museum has a building ready to house a space collection: “Continuing with the shoot for the stars mind-set, the building has been built with the expectation of someday housing the Space Shuttle Orbiter Enterprise, which is currently on display at the National Air & Space Museum. It’s expected that when the shuttle fleet stands down from flying, one of the flight vehicles will be put in place at NASM’s Udvar-Hazy Center and the Enterprise will be sent to another museum. Evergreen is looking to be that museum.”
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »

I've been to the Udvar-Hazy Center; it's awesome.  I went last in 2005, and they had the Enterprise shuttle, an SR71, the Enola Gay, a Concorde, a 707, and various other aircraft in there.

Huge complex and very neat.

Here are some:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=udvar&ss=0&ct=0&w=66518760%40N00

Here is a picture of the shuttle in the UH center from that set.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:59:16 pm »

I've been to the Udvar-Hazy Center; it's awesome.  I went last in 2005, and they had the Enterprise shuttle, an SR71, the Enola Gay, a Concorde, a 707, and various other aircraft in there.

Huge complex and very neat.

Here are some:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=udvar&ss=0&ct=0&w=66518760%40N00

Here is a picture of the shuttle in the UH center from that set.

Dude that is so awesome.  Talk about field trip potential . . .
T-TownMike
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:24:05 pm »

Tulsa needs these type of things and more. I hope Tulsa gets it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:11:02 pm »

There was an article about this in the TW today, and they have a website with information, images, and videos:

tulsaworld.com/landtheshuttle

I really hope we can get it.  There are three shuttles: Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour.  Discovery is already headed to the National Air & Space Museum in DC.  I would imagine the Museum of Flight in Seattle would get either Atlantis or Endeavour.  So basically it's either TASM in Tulsa, the USAF Museum in Dayton, Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, or the Evergreen Aviation Museum outside Portland, Oregon for the last shuttle..

If Tulsa gets it and this $100 million facility is built at TASM it would be a MAJOR attraction.  TASM is a decent air/space museum but still a very local attraction.  The shuttle would elevate TASM to at least a regional, or even national, attraction.  With the nearby Tulsa Zoo and Oxley Nature Center you could spend an entire day just north of the airport.  What's also interesting is that the proposed light rail/commuter rail line to Owasso in PlaniTulsa's transportation plan goes right by both the zoo and TASM.  There could be a stop with a shuttle that takes you in between TASM, the zoo, and Oxley.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:37:38 am »

+1.

Some things are worthless tourist traps.  They may draw visitors, but only kinda.  Few people would take a weekend trip to Tulsa to see a giant naked Indian statue.  True, it would be one more thing to do if you were considering coming anyway . . . but not really a draw.

The space shuttle in Tulsa, bringing a retired space shuttle to the Tulsa Air and Space Museum . . . that would be a draw.  People might actually plan a trip to Tulsa to see the space shuttle.  A trip to Tulsa to see the shuttle, it'd be great. While we are there we can go to XYZ at the BOK Center.  There is Oktoberfest/Mayfest/Fair going on that weekend.  The zoo is close by the Shuttle.  If it's raining they have a nice aquarium, if we want to do something else outside they have a new botanical garden.   At the PAC there is . . .  really, it would be a big tourism feather in our hat.  Very few places have one thing that makes people come from far and wide.  Even if this wouldn't be that one big thing for everyone, it would be one more major piece of the puzzle.

But more than serving as a tourist trap - it increases the quality of life for Tulsans.  Public gardens, museums, zoos, aquariums;  these things have tourist value of course.  But they have more value for those of us who live here.  At the end of the day having such facilities adds to the quality of life in an area in unrecognizable ways. 

Economically, $100,000,000 is a TON of money.  Do I believe the $50mil a year in economic activity number?   No, those numbers are generally economic fiction.  Will it pay off in a massive flood of tourist dollars?   I highly doubt it.  But in the long run we will draw more tourist dollars as well as economic activity from other things.  MAPS didn't generate massive economic activity for OKC, but the overall improvement in the community has led to NCAA tournament hosting, more conventions, Olympic training venues, and a recognition around the country that OKC is no longer a sleepy cow town.  At the end of the day I think it would be well worth it all around and an asset for the city that would be here for the long term.

I really hope the space shuttle ends up in Tulsa.  I'm willing to do what I can to facilitate that and to help pay for it when the time comes.   The only negative I see is the enormous price tag, but if we can afford a new city hall we can afford a new museum to house the space shuttle!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:47:53 am »

Anyone been to the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks.  Great little Air & Space museum there.  There's also an outstanding collection of aircraft at the airport in Liberal, Ks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelBates
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:33:33 am »

Anyone been to the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks.  Great little Air & Space museum there.  There's also an outstanding collection of aircraft at the airport in Liberal, Ks.

The Cosmosphere is amazing -- biggest collection of Soviet space artifacts outside the old USSR, including a flight-ready backup of Sputnik, Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 capsule, the Apollo 13 command module, and a terrific timeline exhibit telling the story of the Space Race starting with Nazi Germany's V-1 and V-2, Operation Paperclip (getting the German rocket scientists and technology to the US after the war), Sputnik, early US rocket disasters -- a lot of the early history I haven't seen at any other museum. The museum was created by a Hutchinson Junior College teacher who wanted a planetarium, found some surplus equipment and got it going in an ag building. One of her students happened to be working for NASA when they were getting rid of surplus Apollo equipment.

It's well worth the four-hour drive from Tulsa.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:59 am »

I think this would be a great tourist attraction for all of the people that come here for the Olympics!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:19 am »

The Cosmosphere is amazing -- biggest collection of Soviet space artifacts outside the old USSR, including a flight-ready backup of Sputnik, Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 capsule, the Apollo 13 command module, and a terrific timeline exhibit telling the story of the Space Race starting with Nazi Germany's V-1 and V-2, Operation Paperclip (getting the German rocket scientists and technology to the US after the war), Sputnik, early US rocket disasters -- a lot of the early history I haven't seen at any other museum. The museum was created by a Hutchinson Junior College teacher who wanted a planetarium, found some surplus equipment and got it going in an ag building. One of her students happened to be working for NASA when they were getting rid of surplus Apollo equipment.

It's well worth the four-hour drive from Tulsa.

Another thing I liked about the Cosmosphere was when they were restoring Liberty Bell 7, they did it behind glass, so that visitors could see and appreciate what goes into the effort.  Seems like they also do a "space camp" there, don't they?  I've not been in about 10 years or so, it's time to go back. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org