A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 05:45:15 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TCC Downtown  (Read 24769 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: July 02, 2008, 10:08:30 am »

How is work progressing on their new Center for Creativity?  Last time I was in Tulsa I noticed they were doing site work.  Are there any other plans for the parking lot district around TCC?  That seems like such a good area for infill apartments for people wanting to be near TCC and by their jobs.

Rendering of the new building:

dsjeffries
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:26:40 am »

A lot of the steel is already up.  I'll try to get some pictures within a couple days.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:58:51 pm »

Parking Garage is a four letter word to TCC and that is what they would need to redevelop any of that area.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

^ I can hope that with new leadership, especially since they are redeveloping part of one of their lots, they may consider it in the future.  Especially if they want to do some kind of residential project for their students.  I've never seen a community college with on-campus housing but it would be a win-win for south downtown and TCC...only if they consolidate their parking in a garage, preferably at their lot between Boston and Cincinnati with streetfront retail space along Boston.

Does the Center for Creativity span the entire length of Boston from 9th to 10th?

dsjeffries
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 03:36:04 pm »

Did a quick drive-by:

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

^ I can hope that with new leadership, especially since they are redeveloping part of one of their lots, they may consider it in the future.  Especially if they want to do some kind of residential project for their students.  I've never seen a community college with on-campus housing but it would be a win-win for south downtown and TCC...only if they consolidate their parking in a garage, preferably at their lot between Boston and Cincinnati with streetfront retail space along Boston.

Does the Center for Creativity span the entire length of Boston from 9th to 10th?

The most likely bet for dorms is on the OSU Tulsa campus. They have mentioned the possibility of them being used by students at TCC and the OU Medical Center. It would be an easy bikeride or Trolleyride between the campuses.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
OurTulsa
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »

quote:

How is work progressing on their new Center for Creativity?  Last time I was in Tulsa I noticed they were doing site work.  Are there any other plans for the parking lot district around TCC?  That seems like such a good area for infill apartments for people wanting to be near TCC and by their jobs.

Ha Ha Ha, you said 'parking lot district'!  That's the first time I've ever heard that.  That's funny as hell!
joiei
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

[/quote
Ha Ha Ha, you said 'parking lot district'!  That's the first time I've ever heard that.  That's funny as hell!

I need to remember that, how true.  Can we get a historic designation for the "Parking Lot District"?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:35:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

[/quote

I need to remember that, how true.  Can we get a historic designation for the "Parking Lot District"?

Ooooh, hadn't thought of that. It is a historic and defining characteristic of the area.[Tongue] Perhaps we should ask the folks from the Preservation conference thing for some advice on how to get it designated as such.[8D] Plus, perhaps we need some sort of zoning overlay to preserve the nature of the area, to stop these developers from sticking in even more developments that are out of character with the district. TCCs new building for instance. I mean it sticks out like a sore thumb!  Why cant they understand what "context sensitive" means? Zeeesh

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:41:23 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:36:13 am »

I like the design, it's contemporary which IMO is fine in this area because all of the historic buildings are gone.  We might as well encourage contemporary design in areas of downtown where historic buildings were destroyed during Urban Renewal, including the area around the arena and the East End.  Now Brady is another story, I think the buildings should reflect their place in a brick warehouse district.

I am glad this building, and the other TCC Metro buildings, create density in an otherwise low density area of downtown.  How they meet the sidewalk/street is good urban design, and this new building seems to be the same way from what I can tell.  

I'd imagine if we can ever get the eyesore Federal Building moved from its location by the arena the parking lot district would be a good place to move it...

hoodlum
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:53:11 pm »

I recently accepted a new job with an architecture firm in southwest missouri, so I fel i can talk about the Center for Creativity now without it being a conflict of interest since my former firm Selser Schaefer Architects did the design. The building does indeed span the entire length of the block, and no new parking spaces are added. in addition the idea is that this building and the existing building immediately to its east will form the southern border of an urban park space that will occur at the corner of boston and 9th? (always get that mixed up).

keep an eye out for this it will be beautiful.
inteller
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »

quote:

I'd imagine if we can ever get the eyesore Federal Building moved from its location

you are obviously not serious.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

I'd imagine if we can ever get the eyesore Federal Building moved from its location

I most certainly am.  There is no reason for the Federal Building to be in that location.  Especially once a new convention hotel is built just to the south.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:53:34 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

I most certainly am.  There is no reason for the Federal Building to be in that location.  Especially once a new convention hotel is built just to the south.

Tulsa is on the list of cities due to get new federal buildings, but with our congressional delegation the way it is we probably won't see it for decades.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 07:22:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hoodlum

I recently accepted a new job with an architecture firm in southwest missouri, so I fel i can talk about the Center for Creativity now without it being a conflict of interest since my former firm Selser Schaefer Architects did the design. The building does indeed span the entire length of the block, and no new parking spaces are added. in addition the idea is that this building and the existing building immediately to its east will form the southern border of an urban park space that will occur at the corner of boston and 9th? (always get that mixed up).

keep an eye out for this it will be beautiful.

You wouldnt happen to be able to find us some other renderings of this building would ya? [Smiley] I am suprised that TCC hasnt posted any. Is that a digital screen on the North side of the building?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org