A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:31:07 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid-Town Subs  (Read 39586 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:02 pm »

I'll withhold judgement until I see more/better renderings.  Freese is pretty good, up there with Selser Schaefer, Duval and One Arch. doing the best contemporary design work in Tulsa.  This is such a great site and view it needs to be a stellar design.  I assume parking is behind (to the west) or adjacent (to the south)?

Sutton
Citizen

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 08:07:02 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20120510_53_E1_CUTLIN514464

Zanmai will take Japanese steak house to a new level

By KYLE ARNOLD World Staff Writer
Published: 5/10/2012  2:03 AM
Last Modified: 5/10/2012  2:38 AM

A new restaurant and retail building under construction near Cherry Street will offer a sweeping view of downtown Tulsa while extending the popular retail and entertainment district a block north.

Developer Steve Dodson and restaurant owner Nobu Terauchi are building the two-story, 16,200-square-foot building on the southwest corner of Peoria Avenue and the Broken Arrow Expressway. It will be topped with an ambitious Japanese steak house and have space for as many as four retailers on the ground level.

The Zanmai restaurant will feature tall glass windows in the rear that face northwest toward the skyline.

Terauchi plans to build a high-end Japanese restaurant that includes 16 cooking stations with hibachi-style cooks entertaining diners.

"The view will be one of the best in the city, and we think it will be the coolest restaurant in the city for years," said Brian Freese, architect on the project.

The restaurant was placed on the second floor to allow for the downtown view and give space for street-front retail.

The new restaurant is the third dining place by Terauchi, owner of two Fuji Japanese Cuisine and Sushi Bar locations.

Terauchi opened his first Fuji restaurant at 71st Street and Memorial Drive in 1986, one of the first Japanese-style eateries in Tulsa.

Seven years ago, he opened the second Fuji restaurant in the Brookside district at 3739 S. Peoria Ave.

Zanmai, which means "enjoy" in Japanese, will be a departure from the midpriced restaurants that Terauchi has opened in the past.

He said he plans to sell premium American and Japanese selections of beef and create an Asian fusion menu. In all, the restaurant will seat about 200 people.

"It's a great business opportunity," Terauchi said. "It will be a little bit more modern, more high-end than the other restaurants."

Zanmai will also have several booths, a bar and private dining rooms. At the rear of the building, there will be a rooftop dining area and Japanese garden.

The 7,600 square feet of retail space on the ground floor has not been leased yet, but Freese said owners of the building are in talks with several national retailers.

A large glass rectangle in the middle of the building's front will have the Zanmai name in large lettering, while behind it a staircase and elevator will take diners to the second-floor restaurant. Freese said the entryway and signage are purposefully pointing toward the Cherry Street area.

Freese said they designed the building to have parking in the rear with street-front retailers, following the classic look of retailers along 15th Street, Peoria Avenue in Brookside and other in-town shopping corridors.

Freese said the building will be decorated with reclaimed wood, white painted strand board and will have concrete floors.

Owners of the property hope to have the building finished and the restaurant opened by the end of the year.

Contractors have begun foundation work.

Freese said the property has a significant slope and will have to be leveled to allow for parking.

According to city building permits, developers plan to spend just under $2 million on the project.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:14 am »

Sounds like fun and looks good. I hope I can afford to eat there!

onward...through the fog
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:48 am »

There is a lot of potential in that area.  Hope to see some development creep north up Peoria.  The apartments accross the street could be made into some really nice middle end apartments.  They look a bit run down right now.  You would think the location would justify some renovations and a decent pricetag.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:09 am »

Wow, this sounds even better than I hoped. 
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:11 am »

This rendering looks better than the last one we saw. But I'm disappointed to hear that it's the same owner as Fuji. I've never, not once, had a good experience at either location. And I've given them a lot of chances. Their sushi rolls aren't rolled or packed well, so they fall apart; the rolls are also usually too large (and mostly rice); and the service has been absolutely horrible every time I've been there.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:18 am »

This rendering looks better than the last one we saw. But I'm disappointed to hear that it's the same owner as Fuji. I've never, not once, had a good experience at either location. And I've given them a lot of chances. Their sushi rolls aren't rolled or packed well, so they fall apart; the rolls are also usually too large (and mostly rice); and the service has been absolutely horrible every time I've been there.

I prefer it over ITR.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
enits
Citizen

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

I can't quite picture where the location of this restaurant is going to be...soooo southwest corner of Peoria and the BA....  Would that be north of cherry street, a few blocks north of the palace cafe?  I guess I need to check google map!

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »

I can't quite picture where the location of this restaurant is going to be...soooo southwest corner of Peoria and the BA....  Would that be north of cherry street, a few blocks north of the palace cafe?  I guess I need to check google map!

More like 500 feet.

This looks real nice. I could only wish the best for Nobu.

I think Paul Corey is the main developer here. It has some real potential. Mod Yoga? Brian Freeze rendering confuse me.

I think the land belongs to Tom Atherton.

Someone told me that Osaka was going into RiverWalk.
Sutton
Citizen

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

Very excited about this project. Its just a shame that there are fast food joints directly to the south.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:44 pm »

Those are placeholder business names

Also, fast food places are just to the south of every place. Even hell.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:54 am »

More like 500 feet.

This looks real nice. I could only wish the best for Nobu.

I think Paul Corey is the main developer here. It has some real potential. Mod Yoga? Brian Freeze rendering confuse me.

I think the land belongs to Tom Atherton.

Atherton has been trying to get someone to bite off this building for a long time.  I know he approached several banks about building there as long as 8-9 years ago.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:17 am »

I think that would actually be a success.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org