A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:34:11 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NewsOK: Downtown Tulsa transformation is under way  (Read 7113 times)
rdj
City Father

« on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:26 am »

Downtown Tulsa transformation is under way
OKC Central columnist Steve Lackmeyer says a visit to Tulsa shows that city is overcoming obstacles to redevelop its downtown area.
By Steve Lackmeyer | Published: May 8, 2012

Eight years ago, a mysterious pair of investors — Henry Kaufman and Maurice Kanbar — swept into Tulsa and bought one-third of downtown. Hints of an ambitious makeover of their properties faded, however, as the two longtime friends and business partners ended up battling each other in a nasty court fight.

Imagine such a scenario in Oklahoma City — one that had the effect of freezing redevelopment of one-third of our downtown. Would Oklahoma City be enjoying the renaissance we see today with such adversity?

After a two-year absence, I made a return visit to downtown Tulsa over the weekend. Progress in redeveloping the downtown, in light of odds not facing Oklahoma City, is impressive.

What I saw matched up well with a glowing report released in March by the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce that estimated downtown's development totaled $386 million since 2009. That figure, by the way, does not include the $250 million BOK Center, which is a Mercedes-class arena design compared to Oklahoma City's respectable, but not glitzy, Chesapeake Energy Arena.

While downtown Oklahoma City is about to see the opening of its first small boutique grocery with Native Roots Market in Deep Deuce, downtown Tulsa is celebrating the opening of not one but two groceries.

Downtown Oklahoma City enthusiasts, meanwhile, might ask why we have yet to see the sort of urban infill housing development in Bricktown that has taken place with the five-story Metro at Brady in Tulsa's Brady District. The housing, along with a new park and other noticeable improvements, has turned a district I once saw as a wannabe Bricktown into a distinct neighborhood of its own.

The scars of vacant lots and abandoned industrial buildings separating sections of downtown Tulsa are no longer as apparent as they once were. Development is emerging around the BOK Center arena, as hoped. The Boulder Avenue bridge, closed for years and a barrier between the Brady district and Tulsa's central business district, is getting rebuilt.

Construction of the ONEOK Field, meanwhile (think a scaled down Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark), has taken off the rough edge that once surrounded downtown Tulsa's other entertainment destination, the Blue Dome District.

One can now envision a time when the Blue Dome and downtown Tulsa's central business district are unified in the same way that Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce, Automobile Alley, Bricktown, Arts District and central business district have all fused together.

Downtown Tulsa still faces challenges related to uncertainty over the Kanbar properties (some promised residential conversions have clearly been scrapped), and the aftermath of a demolition spree in the name of surface parking still scars the urban landscape.

But the urban momentum Tulsa craved a decade ago is, without a doubt, in full gear.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:39 am »

If the Brady District gets renamed, can we make sure whoever names OKC districts isn't involved?
rdj
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »

If the Brady District gets renamed, can we make sure whoever names OKC districts isn't involved?

Which OKC district names do you dislike?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »

Which OKC district names do you dislike?

"Deep Dou..."  Oh, I just cant...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rdj
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

"Deep Dou..."  Oh, I just cant...

Considering it's been Deep Second or Deep Duece for 75+ years I doubt the individual responsible has the ability to "name" our districts.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »

Nice article, but I think Lackmeyer didn't even hit on what has been downtown development's biggest obstacle, by far -- the fact that the global financial crisis erupted and massive recession hit right as development was getting underway.

The fact that global credit was basically frozen from late 2008 through almost all of 2009 and the country was in a deep recession was a MAJOR hindrance to development.  It's really amazing how much was actually done in this climate.

Also, from the article:

The housing, along with a new park and other noticeable improvements, has turned a district I once saw as a wannabe Bricktown into a distinct neighborhood of its own.

I've seen him make this comparison before, and, to me, it's ridiculous. How is the Brady District, in any way, "a wannabe Bricktown?"   Because it has old red brick buildings that are being renovated???  I guess Bricktown in OKC invented that concept?

I would argue that there is nothing about any developments in downtown Tulsa that compare, or are striving to be, what Bricktown is.  Bricktown is more akin to the kind of pre-packaged, chain-restaurant-infused urban renewal developments like Kansas City's Power & Light district.  

I'm not saying those things don't have value... just don't see how anything in Brady or Blue Dome even remotely compare to that.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

Nice article, but I think Lackmeyer didn't even hit on what has been downtown development's biggest obstacle, by far -- the fact that the global financial crisis erupted and massive recession hit right as development was getting underway.

The fact that global credit was basically frozen from late 2008 through almost all of 2009 and the country was in a deep recession was a MAJOR hindrance to development.  It's really amazing how much was actually done in this climate.

Also, from the article:

I've seen him make this comparison before, and, to me, it's ridiculous. How is the Brady District, in any way, "a wannabe Bricktown?"   Because it has old red brick buildings that are being renovated???  I guess Bricktown in OKC invented that concept?

I would argue that there is nothing about any developments in downtown Tulsa that compare, or are striving to be, what Bricktown is.  Bricktown is more akin to the kind of pre-packaged, chain-restaurant-infused urban renewal developments like Kansas City's Power & Light district.  

I'm not saying those things don't have value... just don't see how anything in Brady or Blue Dome even remotely compare to that.

If they ever get a Hooters in the Brady, then I might entertain the comparison. But as far as I can tell, Bricktown is not much more than a modern day lifestyle center. Whereas the Brady, is an organic market. If anything the Brady District is more like Midtown OKC. Even then it is a bit of a stretch due to the Brady's superiority it classic live entertainment venues.

I will say that I am a tad jealous of the residential development they are getting in Bricktown/Deep Duece. Not necessarily at the quality, but just the quantity. The more significant new construction include Deep Deuce @ Bricktown, Legacy @ Arts Quarters, LEVEL, Block 42, Central Avenue Villas, Lofts & Maywood, & The Hill. Again, I think some of these were probably not the best planned/ideas. But, they all got funded somehow. OKC developers misjudged the price point that would sell so they ended up with an oversupply of high end condos. The rental units seem to be doing pretty well though.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »

If they ever get a Hooters in the Brady, then I might entertain the comparison. But as far as I can tell, Bricktown is not much more than a modern day lifestyle center. Whereas the Brady, is an organic market. If anything the Brady District is more like Midtown OKC. Even then it is a bit of a stretch due to the Brady's superiority it classic live entertainment venues.

I will say that I am a tad jealous of the residential development they are getting in Bricktown/Deep Duece. Not necessarily at the quality, but just the quantity. The more significant new construction include Deep Deuce @ Bricktown, Legacy @ Arts Quarters, LEVEL, Block 42, Central Avenue Villas, Lofts & Maywood, & The Hill. Again, I think some of these were probably not the best planned/ideas. But, they all got funded somehow. OKC developers misjudged the price point that would sell so they ended up with an oversupply of high end condos. The rental units seem to be doing pretty well though.

Except that they are located in OKC. Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:52 pm »

Except that they are located in OKC. Grin

Game. Set. Match to Hoss

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »

The grocery stores mentioned.  I recently saw a story showing there have been a few issues with them.

Cam's is still waiting on investors and I believe the story said Blake's store was having a tough time getting the permits.

Anyone know an accurate account on this?
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:09:11 pm »

When I moved to town in the late 1990s, I recall the Brady District being described as Tulsa's future version of Bricktown.  It's development since that time has been very different than Bricktown.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »

The grocery stores mentioned.  I recently saw a story showing there have been a few issues with them.

Cam's is still waiting on investors and I believe the story said Blake's store was having a tough time getting the permits.

Anyone know an accurate account on this?

I read or heard a few weeks ago Cam’s has been delayed by at least a few months.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »

I think your point is excellent and too often gets overlooked in assessing how much progress we've made during a tough time.

Worse than that, since 2000 Tulsa has suffered a series of set backs at major employers that has hurt its economic growth and vitality - CFS, Worldcom, Williams Communications, Williams, American Airlines post 9-11 and now bankruptcy, Semgroup, and Citgo.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »

I think your point is excellent and too often gets overlooked in assessing how much progress we've made during a tough time.

Worse than that, since 2000 Tulsa has suffered a series of set backs at major employers that has hurt its economic growth and vitality - CFS, Worldcom, Williams Communications, Williams, American Airlines post 9-11 and now bankruptcy, Semgroup, and Citgo.

Yep.

True on the employment front.  But on the positive side... if I can be self-serving for a minute...  Smiley Williams has grown significantly since the dark days of 2002 and has directly spun of two new energy companies that now call Tulsa home, Magellan Midstream and WPX Energy. 

ONEOK has also grown pretty significantly in the past 10 years, as has Helmerich & Payne.  There are many other smaller firms that have done well thanks to the shale gas boom.

Semgroup has recovered and is growing again, so much so that their board rejected a takeover offer from Plains last year and now they're building a new 200+ mile crude pipeline into Cushing.

Williams Communications (where I used to work) emerged from bankruptcy as WilTel and did very well before merging with Level 3.  They still have a good number of employees in OTC... most of my former colleagues who made it through the BK still work there.

American Airlines is certainly in a rough patch right now, but hopefully they will be better in the long run.

Obviously losing an employer like CITGO and the others that have left are bummers, but I just wanted to point out that many local companies, even some that have gone through some tough times, are doing quite well right now. 

Hopefully AA will come out on the other side of the BK as a stronger company with a better growth outlook.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:57 pm »

There are many other smaller firms that have done well thanks to the shale gas boom.

Unfortunately for us, the news has been rather poor on that front lately.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org