A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:24:15 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinery smell  (Read 13402 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: January 20, 2009, 07:48:53 am »

I've driven by the refineries back and forth to work for almost 7 years now.  There's always been a smell.

I noticed yesterday the smell is much worse.  It stayed in my car with the windows down and and the sunroof open all the way downtown to 5th and Boston.

The smell was still there this morning as I drove by.  Not just a smell...a stick to your ribs, melt your face off kind of smell.

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on there?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:07:15 am »

What you smell is two refineries, a waste to energy plant, a toxic waste disposal facility and a wastewater treatment plant and power plant to the south. I've noticed the wastewater plant being particularly pungent and the windows have been quite strong out of the south most mornings.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:22:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

What you smell is two refineries, a waste to energy plant, a toxic waste disposal facility and a wastewater treatment plant and power plant to the south. I've noticed the wastewater plant being particularly pungent and the windows have been quite strong out of the south most mornings.

as opposed to weak windows out of the north?

This smell obviously doesn't cover all of downtown.  I never smell it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

This is new.  A considerable increase in olfactory overload.  I'm familiar with the other odors...this is refinery.  I know some people say they smell money but damn...these are some freakin' heinous Benjamins.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:31:47 am »

If it is a new smell, it is probably the hax-waste processing facility Permafix.

Power is nothing till you use it.
grahambino
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:57 am »

i smelled it as well.
it smelled like fertilizer to me, so it was possibly nitrogen?  whatever it was i got a big mouthful of it on our evening walk. I accidentially gasped suddenly through my mouth for some reason and this horrible taste stuck in my throat for a few hours after.  fantastic.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:58 am »

Smeller's the feller!

If you smelt it, you dealt it!

That's my 4th grade input.

But seriously. . .What you are smelling is mercaptan.  Our refinery removes t-butyl mercaptan from the petroleum and packages it to be sold and added to natural gas so that you can smell it.

I've been around a small vile of t-butyl mercaptan, and at a distance it's enough to knock you on the ground.  If you were to lean over and take a full nostril sniff, I think you would probably pass out.

It's a very important product.  It is used in plastics, paints, adhesives and other "coating industry" products.  We have several industries here in Tulsa that rely on the production of mercaptan in one form or another, and we ship the stuff all over the world.

It's used in many pharmaceuticals and in it's altered states it is even used in food products.

It is so vile to our senses because we are genetically programmed to fear it.  Mercaptan is the smell created by rotting flesh, and our minds naturally associate it with death.  This makes it an excellent "attention getter," and this is why it is added to natural gas, rather than say hyacinth.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hometown
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:47 am »

I grew up here and its the same old refinery smell.  One of these days people will really deal with the fact that Tulsa stinks.  

If you can smell it, it's going into your body.

I know one refinery has promised improvements that will supposedly decrease the smell, but based on their past record, I am not hopeful.

Hey, does anyone know anything about Sunoco being converted to a terminal instead of a refinery?  This sounds like a dramatic development but I haven't seen any explanation in the local paper of what a terminal is or anything addressing the pros and cons of a terminal.

Question, would a terminal lessen or increase the smell in Tulsa?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:53 am »

Thanks Gaspar
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:42:07 pm »

Probably another discharge from the hazardous waste disposal plant at 20th & SW Blvd.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7050

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

Smeller's the feller!

If you smelt it, you dealt it!

That's my 4th grade input.

He who articulated it, particulated it
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:47:35 pm »

Last night it smelled like refinery, not hazardous waste.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Aa5drvr
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:38:54 pm »

As I crossed the 23rd St bridge there was enough of a north wind to make me think most likely it was coming from the "Mid Continent" Refinery.  

Years ago I worked not far from Borg metals on N. Lewis and they cut up a tank that had been used to contain natural gas "odorant."   The entire neighborhood was fragrant for days.

People coming into our office would ask if there was a gas leak.  We would just light up a cigarette and say, "Naah, nothin' to worry about."
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:57:50 pm »

That's the smell of money.  

That's the smell of the bases of our local economy.

Deal with it.

Trust but verify
waterboy
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by unreliablesource

That's the smell of money.  

That's the smell of the bases of our local economy.

Deal with it.

That's the smell of bladder cancer.
That's the smell of lung cancer.
That's the smell of Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

That's how we deal with it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org