A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:22:04 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Official...  (Read 16057 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 10:38:31 pm »

Yea I will it's just that USAA is a military bank and they usually have cheaper rates and they treat me so well.  I do my banking with them and all my atm charges get returned to me plus there 24/7.  I may call around just never had a bank or insurance company treat me as nice as they have.

I had a $0 deductible when I was in NC and I changed that to $250 here.  I don't want to bump it up to $500 or anything like that as I have used them for windshield replacement a couple of times.  It seems that pebbles love to hit my Ram-Rod HA!

If you do get a re-quote, try Oklahoma Farm Bureau.  I gave them a shot based on a friend's claim experience (which was great) and it's saved me quite a bit on vehicle and homeowner's.  As I understand their risk pool is grouped in Oklahoma so your rates don't get jacked everytime there's a hurricane on the gulf coast or an earthquake in California.  You do have to pay a yearly membership of $35, so factor that into your rate.

And welcome to Tulsa.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 07:53:24 am »

Welcome to Tulsa!!! (or Jesusville as was appropriately commented earlier) Smiley Hope you enjoy it. I've lived here for about 3.5 years now and (for the most part) I love it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:17 am »

What I like so far in one day..what a great judgement LOL:

I actually really enjoy reading impressions of Tulsa from outsiders.  They complain about things I never think of.  They appreciate things I take for granted.  Keep it up!

5. The street system, can't get lost.
4. The speed limit, holy crap I'm in love with the fast speed.

I too love the fast speed.  However, it probably has something to do with the below referenced collisions and crazy driving.  If traffic is coming on a surface street at 45mph, you have to haul when you pull out.

Though, as pointed out in another thread, Tulsans are actually very  average drivers.
 Drivers in Charlotte are among the worst in the nation and Greensboro and Raleigh are statistically each more than 4 times worse than Tulsans.  

3.  Restaurant/food places I've driven by umm do you guys ever not eat out? LOL there's a bunch of places to eat        around here. 

We do.  But when we eat at home we attempt to make is just as unhealthy.  We aren't a fat state by chance.

2.  I've seen some pretty attractive guys around here so as a single lady I got to put that in the top 5.  My cable guy was young and hot wow...seriously wanted to ask him for his number.  Usually cable guys are not attractive and usually older.  Darn it could of dressed up and did the whole cable guy/lonely wife (but I'm not married) role play thing  Kiss

[insert snarky comment here]  Really, I got nothing.

Downside:
5.  WTH do you guys have tolls damn it LOL, I didn't have change at the first one cause I mean its OK didn't know they had tolls so I gave the person 91 cents literally that's all I had, I'm a plastic Queen  Grin
4.  Um back to the roads a lot of potholes and non smooth surfaces to have a FREAKIN toll system...hello where's that money going to then? 
3.  I see A LOT of cars with taped up fenders and bumpers, hmm no good drivers around here?  What's up with pulling out in front of a truck 10 ft in front of them...hello!!!

5. Get a pikepass.  When I got one it was free but you had to put $50 in the account.  It was all used to pay tolls.  And if you pay attention the tolls around the city aren't that bad.  

4. Toll roads are well maintained.  Free roads . . . not so much.  Extreme temperatures.  Sandy soil (swells when wet, contracts when dry).  Lots of water.  And freeze-refreeze in the winter.  Coupled with aggressive driving and sprinkle in some neglect.

3. Covered above.  

2.  Ok I understand this is supposed to be a friendly area but I guess coming from NC I'm into the habit of saying how are you doing, whats up, or whatever greeting you want while walking by someone since that's the custom.  No one has done that yet, I've done it a couple of times and some people hesitated to respond so I guess that's not a common thing to do.

You are in a commercial area.  In or near most malls people don't say hi to everyone.  There are too many people around to do that.  Go for a walk in a neighborhood.

I'd say it is common to acknowledge someone if you are the only people around.  If you are standing on a street corner together.  Or if you are in an elevator.   Sometimes people are a little surprised when you say hi, but it's not like NYC or Chicago where they are offended that you had the nerve to speak to them.  But if you are in a crowd, in your car, or somewhere that you will constantly be bumping into people it probably won't happen.

1.  My insurance premium went up from 384 (includes renters insurance) for 6 months to 789 (includes renters insurance) the USAA rep said something about higher accident area.  So guess I got to watch my back...and front around here LOL.

Seriously, check around.  I had to switch insurance companies also.  Many insurance companies simply are not competitive in Oklahoma (or insert other state here) and don't really want to do business here.  

Just a couple things I've noticed in my 2 days here, lol.  So obviously this is in good fun.  I'm glad to have finally moved here and will look at the brighter side of things. 

Welcome to Tulsa.  I'd invite you over for drinks tonight with my family, but that would seem kinda strange stalkerish.  So I won't.  We'll have to get a Tulsa Now lunch going so people can welcome you to Tulsa in person.

I came to Tulsa in 2003 to attend law school and my wife, son and I stayed.  Not too big, not too small.  Affordable housing.  Entertainment options.  And some character.   I hope you enjoy yourself and i hope you keep commenting on your experiences.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brianh
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 08:11:41 am »

Downside:
2.  Ok I understand this is supposed to be a friendly area but I guess coming from NC I'm into the habit of saying how are you doing, whats up, or whatever greeting you want while walking by someone since that's the custom.  No one has done that yet, I've done it a couple of times and some people hesitated to respond so I guess that's not a common thing to do.

Don't worry, I do that as well. I also almost always have to say "Have a nice morning/day/afternoon/night" or sometimes I just say "Have a good one." This all stems from a summer job I had once at Arbys when I was 15.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 08:23:31 am »

...sometimes I just say "Have a good one."

When people say that to me...I say, "I do have a good one, thanks for noticing."

Power is nothing till you use it.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 08:30:15 am »

4.  Um back to the roads a lot of potholes and non smooth surfaces to have a FREAKIN toll system...hello where's that money going to then? 

I think the thought process is.. If Jesus didn't get to walk on even paved streets void of potholes, why should we!
brianh
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 08:35:18 am »

When people say that to me...I say, "I do have a good one, thanks for noticing."

I hate it when people do that, because it required no extra thought for me to say the former line. Now I feel compelled to try and think of a snappy comeback, and because I am under pressure I usually just lock up and just mumble something stupid.    Cheesy
buckeye
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:44:24 am »

Welcome to Tulsa!  Smiley

Your rates may have gone up (a lot), but USAA is the _only_ insurance company I've heard consistently good reports about.  Be wary...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 11:29:07 am »

Yea I will it's just that USAA is a military bank and they usually have cheaper rates and they treat me so well.  I do my banking with them and all my atm charges get returned to me plus there 24/7.  I may call around just never had a bank or insurance company treat me as nice as they have.

I had a $0 deductible when I was in NC and I changed that to $250 here.  I don't want to bump it up to $500 or anything like that as I have used them for windshield replacement a couple of times.  It seems that pebbles love to hit my Ram-Rod HA!

I've recently cross shopped and I stuck with USAA.  I have a feeling you will too.
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »

I love the traffic controlled lights. While living in NOLA, I almost pulled my hair out daily!!

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Cherish
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 04:19:50 pm »

Ok so I'm driving around and...where's 7-11??? I want a slurpee and a Big Eat hot dog.

I'm Canadian, canadian's drink the MOST slurpee's in the world...I can't survive without a slurpee!!!  Tomorrow is Free Slurpee day since it's going to be 7/11...I want my free slurpee!!!

I miss my banana mixed with cherry slurpee  Cry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:22:17 pm by Cherish » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

Ok so I'm driving around and...where's 7-11??? I want a slurpee and a Big Eat hot dog.

I'm Canadian, canadian's drink the MOST slurpee's in the world...I can't survive without a slurpee!!!  Tomorrow is Free Slurpee day since it's going to be 7/11...I want my free slurpee!!!

I miss my banana mixed with cherry slurpee  Cry

Go back to city-data and read my post I just put there, but I'll c and p it here...

-------------

QuikTrip, which can be found in metro areas like Atlanta, St. Louis, Phoenix, KC, Des Moines etc etc, also has many stores here (since this is the QuikTrip headquarters). An agreement was struck some years ago with the Southland Corporations who owns 7-11. It's essentially an exclusivity agreement. QuikTrip agreed not to enter the Oklahoma City market (where there are many 7-11s) as long as 7-11s stayed away from Tulsa. I don't know if they have those same agreements in the other markets, but I know about the OKC. The closest we had was Circle K for years, but then they pulled out of here.

I've been to both. Trust me, QuikTrip is better.

Oh, and no Hardees; those all changed over to Carls Jr.

And Tulsa did, years ago, have one Jack in the Box at 21st and Memorial.

This is what it looks like now:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=7939+e+21st+st,+tulsa,+ok&sll=36.133508,-95.887213&sspn=0.01194,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=36.13382,-95.887105&spn=0.01194,0.027874&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=36.133503,-95.88709&panoid=XDkDlxCc43KM7vPlrH7s6A&cbp=12,357.31,,0,5

Big hamburger eateries here are of course all the national ones, but those with local flavor and flair are:

Hanks Hamburgers, Admiral between Memorial and Mingo
Ron's : several locations around the metro
Braums is actually pretty good with hamburgers. Braums here is what DQ is everywhere else, but I think it's better. I lived in Houston for three years and that was really the only thing I missed (Braums).
--------------------

actually, the exclusivity agreement is mentioned on 7-11's Wikipedia page and mentions no 7-11s in markets where QuikTrip exists.  Which would explain why QT's dont exist in Phoenix city, just in the suburbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Eleven#United_States
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:29:19 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cherish
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »

Yea there's a QT across from me...I just like the exclusive flavors at 7-11 especially around movie times and there are exclusive flavors just for those movies.  Carl's Jr and Hardee's are the same thing and owned by the same person.  It's just like Checkers and Rally's there the same just called different names in different regions.  But I'm glad to see you guys have Popeye's instead of Bojangles...YUCK lol
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:34:15 pm by Cherish » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »

actually, the exclusivity agreement is mentioned on 7-11's Wikipedia page and mentions no 7-11s in markets where QuikTrip exists.  Which would explain why QT's dont exist in Phoenix city, just in the suburbs.

[/quote]

Sorry Hoss, there are dozens of QT's in Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs. 7-11's are slowly going away. I can name 4 or 5 within two miles of my house.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 07:39:20 pm »

Sorry Hoss, there are dozens of QT's in Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs. 7-11's are slowly going away. I can name 4 or 5 within two miles of my house.

I remember when they started up out there they had none in the city, so I guess they've expanded.  I should have dug a little deeper.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org