A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:13:29 am
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503350 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #840 on: November 15, 2012, 09:44:00 am »

You mean the "struggling smaller business owners" who have over 50 employees and make six figure salaries?
Just a reminder, mom-and-pop restaurants with less than 50 employees will be exempt.

If the "unintended consequences" of Obamacare is that there are less restaurant LLC's serving generic, well-marketed fast food, I think that would be a welcome change...

http://keller.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/more-myths-of-obamacare/

That's a rather gross generalization that anyone who employs more than 50 employees is making six figures plus or isn't struggling already.  If they do make six figures plus, that's doesn't change that the business may already be marginally profitable and will become either a) less profitable or b) less competitive with their global counterparts or domestic counterparts with fewer than 50 employees when they raise prices to cover the cost of Obamacare.

Do you see a likelihood that someone with a workforce of 51 to 60 might find it necessary to cut payroll to remain under 50 employees?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #841 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:50 am »

You mean the "struggling smaller business owners" who have over 50 employees and make six figure salaries?
Just a reminder, mom-and-pop restaurants with less than 50 employees will be exempt.

If the "unintended consequences" of Obamacare is that there are less restaurant LLC's serving generic, well-marketed fast food, I think that would be a welcome change...

http://keller.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/more-myths-of-obamacare/

Putting the classy in class warfare again.

I know several business owners who have 50+ employees that don't make 6 figures.  Here's a clue. . .If you're an entrepreneur and you've just started a business, it typically takes years to pay back investors and banks for the trust they have put in you.  I know folks that have 50+ employees, but struggle every day to pay their mortgage because the distribution they have chosen to take from their venture is respective of the investors first!

Starting a business is a sacrifice and immense risk, not a luxury, and it's not based on some underpants gnome model.

I don't care what kind of business it is, why would you celebrate as an "unintended consequence of Obamacare" a reduction in economic growth and prosperity?
I think that statement is very reflective of how the left views business, and shows an elitist hatred of the free market.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #842 on: November 15, 2012, 10:58:38 am »

Hatred of the Free Market. Oh Please.  Roll Eyes
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #843 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »

There was a third choice that he went completely clueless on...piss off enough people with your nonsense and they just won't come there at all.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #844 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:53 pm »

That's a rather gross generalization that anyone who employs more than 50 employees is making six figures plus or isn't struggling already.  If they do make six figures plus, that's doesn't change that the business may already be marginally profitable and will become either a) less profitable or b) less competitive with their global counterparts or domestic counterparts with fewer than 50 employees when they raise prices to cover the cost of Obamacare.

Um, if they're making/taxed on "six figures," the business made a profit of at least $100,000. Funny how that works.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #845 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

There was a third choice that he went completely clueless on...piss off enough people with your nonsense and they just won't come there at all.

I like how he's charging this surcharge, but is then reducing everyone's hours so he doesn't actually have to provide health insurance under the law. Christ, what an a**hole.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #846 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »

And that's a consequence I suspect this owner is willing to accept/risk. His choice. Your choice. He is right about one thing, someone needs to pay for this program. Either cut overhead, pass the costs to consumers, or some of both. I also see no problem telling people why they are paying more for a product. 

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #847 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »

Either cut overhead, pass the costs to consumers, or some of both.

Funny, that's exactly what our government needs to do.  I prefer cutting overhead primarily, but I still haven't gotten my pony either...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #848 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »

Um, if they're making/taxed on "six figures," the business made a profit of at least $100,000. Funny how that works.

Not necessarily, if it's a start up, it may well be still making payroll on borrowed money much like many of the dot bombs in the 1990's.  Or even looking at it another way if the business is doing $5 mil a year and it's only making $100,000 profit, that's a pretty precarious margin.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #849 on: November 15, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »

Not necessarily, if it's a start up, it may well be still making payroll on borrowed money much like many of the dot bombs in the 1990's.  Or even looking at it another way if the business is doing $5 mil a year and it's only making $100,000 profit, that's a pretty precarious margin.

Interest expense isn't generally taxed (IOW, it's a deductible business expense). That's largely how LBO shops make their millions. And if that $5 million a year business only makes a $100,000 profit and is a pass through entity, the individual will not see a tax increase unless the Republicans force us over the cliff by refusing to keep the below $250,000 cuts without keeping the cuts for the $250,000 and above set.

If I were this hypothetical $5 million business making only $100,000 profit, I would be concerned about Obamacare if I wasn't already offering insurance to my employees. Of course if I only have a 2% margin, I've got bigger problems.

Single payer would be better than Obamacare in this respect and others, but we have what we have for now. You'd think the Republicans would be in favor, given how rah rah small business they are. It would certainly reduce the administrative burden on business owners and encourage people to start companies and to be willing to work at a startup that can't yet afford to provide health benefits. Hopefully, the exchanges and elimination of pre-existing condition exclusions will help on that front.

All this bitching and whining from the already successful seems most likely to be about getting more development incentives from state and local governments. "Oh, it's too expensive to open stores now..please give us free land and large tax breaks!"

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #850 on: November 16, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »

Arguments Business Owners Used To Oppose Basic Human Rights, Social Safety Net

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/obviously-insane-business-gripes_n_2137597.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003#slide=more263513

Obamacare is hardly the first federal law to come under fire from the nation's business owners.

A Huffington Post search of nearly two centuries of archived news reports reveals that pretty much every law passed by Congress since, well, slave times has sent our nation's executives to paroxysms of hysteria.

The end of child labor was supposed to destroy the glass industry. The railroads faced total collapse because of 8-hour workdays. The cotton industry complained an awful lot about abolishing slavery.

Child Labor Prohibitions Will Ruin Us

"The new child labor law making the willful employment of children under the age of fourteen years a misdemeanor.. will be fought both in and out of the courts by the glass manufacturers..who claim the glass industry will be ruined by the measure."  To Fight Child Labor Law: New Jersey's Statute Will Be Opposed Bitterly by Glass Manufacturers, August 10, 1903

Without Slavery We'd Have No Cotton

"The first and most obvious effect, would be to put an end to the cultivation of our great Southern staple... Imagine an extensive rice or cotton plantation cultivated by free laborers, who might perhaps strike for an increase of wages, at a season when the neglect of a few days would insure the destruction of the whole crop. Even if it were possible to procure laborers at all, what planter would venture to carry on his operations under such circumstances?"

"Slavery in the Light of Social Ethics" by Chancelor Harper

8 Hour Work Days Doom The Railroads

"The railroads have estimated that it would cost them $50,000,000 a year to give the members of the four brotherhoods the eight-hour day, and they are by no means assured that other workers, such as telegraphers and switchmen will not try to come in under its benefits, thus increasing the cost still further."

Railroads United In General Attack On the 8-Hour Act, The New York Times, November 16, 19

Social Security Will Kill American Prosperity
"One employer tells me this law will increase his costs between 10 and 15 percent. If this is added to selling prices, what will it do to sales, and hence employment? If it is taken out of the labor fund, what will it do to the purchasing power of all who work for a living, and hence to national prosperity?"

Social Security: Effect of Tax on Payrolls Viewed With Alarm, by R.P. Ellis, The New York Times, November 17, 1935

Ban On Cigarette Ads Is Silly!
"The Tobacco Advisory Committee, representing the manufacturers, called the ban unjustified and said it would not solve the question of smoking and health. A spokesman said that all cigarette advertising was brand advertising and that there was little or not evidence that this had increased the consumption of individual smokers."

The Cigarette Companies Would Rather Fight Than Switch by Elizabeth B. Drew, The New York Times, May 4, 1969

Cigarette Taxes Will Kill Small Business Owners
"Re-enactment of the city's 1-cent-a-package tax on cigarettes will defeat its own purpose by driving thousands of small retailers out of business, the finance committee of the City Council was told yesterday at a public hearing."

City Urged To Drop Its Cigarette Tax, The New York Times, June 16, 1939

Minimum Wage Laws Will Hurt Old People
"The first ill effect of raising the minimum wage to the standard of the average wage would be to cause the weak, slow, and the aged--and especially unskilled young women and girls--to fall by the wayside. These classes of workers are always a drain upon the employer, for the overhead charges of a factory are just as great whether the places be occupied by good, quick workers or poor, slow ones, therefore a smaller output of the latter causes a loss by raising the percentage of these overhead charges. An advance in wages... adds to this loss and forces the employer to discharge the sub-average, giving preference to strong workers who already earn the minimum."

The Minimum Wage: Should Worthy Laborers Be Sacrificed to Establish It? by Marcus M. Marks, The New York Times, March 25, 1913

Seatbelts Laws Shouldn't Be Legislated
"The auto industry's Big Three told congress today that the public should be educated to use auto safety seat belts and not forced into it by legislation."

Car Makers Oppose Law On Seat Belts, The New York Times, August 8, 1957

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #851 on: November 16, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

Health insurance isn't a basic human right.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #852 on: November 16, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »

Shhhh!  He's on a roll.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #853 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »

Neither are 8 hour work days but it's good to have them.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #854 on: November 16, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »

Shhhh!  He's on a roll.

Your thoughts hardly count for squat.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org