A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:44:26 pm
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503232 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #630 on: June 28, 2012, 09:23:43 am »

Oh, no!  I won't be protected from Obamacare!  The sky is fall....

Oh, wait - I don't NEED protection from something that is gonna help me and cost less...whew - how did the RWRE get THAT so wrong??  They are always so right about everything else, like disproportionate tax cuts for the rich, and bailouts for big banks and insurance and subsidies for the largest mult-national oils....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #631 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:44 am »

TW FB post:

The high court's decision leaves Gov. Mary Fallin and the Oklahoma Legislature in a difficult position.

Legislative leaders had put off a decision on complying with the law's mandate to create a state health care exchange until after the high court ruled.

With the ruling, which leaves the requirement in place, lawmakers have to decide whether to comply with the law or allow the federal government to impose a health care exchange on the state.

Facing a Jan. 1 deadline to have a plan in place, it could require a special session of the Legislature to deal with the issue, if Fallin decides to address the issue.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

READ IT AND WEEP!
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

Guido

Gaspar

Where are you guys? I'm waiting for you to spin this as an Obama loss. Conan?

Bwahhahahahahha

Mitt designed this law and now he is vowing to get it thrown out. And the drone from Teaheads/Republijerks: "repeal" ....lazy non-thinkers!
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:54 am »

So I'm not sure how a mandate is a tax.  I haven't read the decision, but it seems illogical on its face.  As I understand it, the ACA doesn't raise taxes directly.  You won't pay on your income taxes, you won't pay at the DMV or at a federal building.  It won't be levied through the mail.  Instead, it says that you must purchase a product from private companies.  You'll only pay the government if you DON'T purchase the product, and that payment will be in the form of a fine.  

A fine is not a tax.  The overwhelming majority of $$ money changing hands to implement this will be between private individuals/families and private companies.  That's also not a tax.  That's a transaction.  And that's should rightly fall under the Commerce Clause.  Has anyone seen a good explanation for this?  
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #634 on: June 28, 2012, 10:11:46 am »

Next big issue for states: Medicaid expansion....

Mary Mary quite contrary?

Is she going to be raising our taxes?

She has until Nov. 16 to get our house in order....can she perform?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:14:44 am by Teatownclown » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #635 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:08 am »

Cock it to the right.  Looks more dashing.

Is it something he can throw to fight the aliens?  Something like Wonder Woman's tiara.

More like Oddjob’s hat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:22 am »

So I'm not sure how a mandate is a tax.

It's a tax which you pay that happens to be waived if you buy a particular product. Nowhere in the health care law is it stated that one must purchase health insurance from a for-profit company. Here in Oklahoma, we've got a few nonprofit insurers. In Vermont, (unless plans have changed in the last year) they will using the extra Medicaid money to go single payer, so Vermonters will be able get insurance directly from the state.

I think it's a dumb way to go about it, by the way, which isn't that surprising given that it's the Republican plan... I'm also surprised that Roberts saw it that way.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:21 am »

It's a tax which you pay that happens to be waived if you buy a particular product. Nowhere in the health care law is it stated that one must purchase health insurance from a for-profit company. Here in Oklahoma, we've got a few nonprofit insurers. In Vermont, (unless plans have changed in the last year) they will using the extra Medicaid money to go single payer, so Vermonters will be able get insurance directly from the state.

I think it's a dumb way to go about it, by the way, which isn't that surprising given that it's the Republican plan... I'm also surprised that Roberts saw it that way.

Who are the non-profit insurers in Oklahoma?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #638 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

I'm in St.Louis at a National Retal Sporting Goods Show.  When the announcement was made there was a collective sigh through the exhibit hall, lots of curse words shouted, and since then most of the business owners have abandon the exhibit hall.  Most of these guys have 20-100 employees, some have much more.  I think they were looking for better news.  What makes it even worse is today is payroll day for most of these guys and since the "ground hog has seen his shadow" they are expecting several more years of uncertainty to govern their hiring decisions.

I respect the rule of the court, and Roberts has a valid point.  By regarding Obamacare as a new tax (rather than a fee) the court has no authority to overturn it.  His opinion was clear.  Obamacare can only be overturned by congress, so I suppose that is where the work must be done.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #639 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:55 am »

I'm in St.Louis at a National Retal Sporting Goods Show.  When the announcement was made there was a collective sigh through the exhibit hall, lots of curse words shouted, and since then most of the business owners have abandon the exhibit hall.  Most of these guys have 20-100 employees, some have much more.  I think they were looking for better news.  What makes it even worse is today is payroll day for most of these guys and since the "ground hog has seen his shadow" they are expecting several more years of uncertainty to govern their hiring decisions.

I respect the rule of the court, and Roberts has a valid point.  By regarding Obamacare as a new tax (rather than a fee) the court has no authority to overturn it.  His opinion was clear.  Obamacare can only be overturned by congress, so I suppose that is where the work must be done.

So as the St. Louis National Retail Sporting Goods Show came to an abrupt end, were all the folks yelling out why they were leaving?

"I'm leaving because the finding will cause _____."

"I specifically don't agree with this because _______."

"I can't stay here because _______ will now happen."
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #640 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:23 am »

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

When the announcement was made there was a collective sigh through the exhibit hall, lots of curse words shouted, and since then most of the business owners have abandon the exhibit hall...I think they were looking for better news.  What makes it even worse is today is payroll day for most of these guys and since the "ground hog has seen his shadow" they are expecting several more years of uncertainty to govern their hiring decisions...

Now gaspar, don't do anything rash. Life will go on.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #642 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:30 am »

Classic!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #643 on: June 28, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »

Who are the non-profit insurers in Oklahoma?

CommunityCare is one.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #644 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:23 pm »

There it is.  I'm surprised it didn't hit my feed quicker.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org