A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:02:47 am
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503321 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #570 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »

Regardless of Obama's intelligence, you have got to admit he is a poor public speaker without a prompter. I haven't heard so many ums and ohs since elementary school speech class. And my teacher hated it then too.

As opposed to 'misunderestimated' President Bush?

I would much rather have a guy who hems and haws when talking, but sounds intelligent, as opposed to that clown we had in there previously.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:05:12 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #571 on: April 05, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »

I would much rather have a guy who hems and haws when talking, but sounds intelligent, as opposed to that clown we had in there previously.

Fair enough. Personally I want someone in there that does smart things. I don't care what they sound like.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »

Fair enough. Personally I want someone in there that does smart things. I don't care what they sound like.

I think he's a fantastic speaker.  It's the philosophy, application, and results that are lacking.  As long as he sticks to the etherial, he's great, but the substantive is a challenge for him.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #573 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:13 pm »

A “thoughtful" pattern of speech would be clear and cohesive after a long pause for thought. mHemming and hawing is considered a sign someone doesn’t know what they are talking about and are spewing a complete line of bullshit or a complete lie.  Hardly a sign of intelligence, at least according to people who study such things.  

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »

Again, I disagree.  I think he's one of the best speechgivinist presidents we have ever had.  Imagine that you just delivered your budget to congress and received a 0 confidence vote on it, not only by republicans, but by democrats as well.  Not a single vote. . . Yet you still have the ego to hold your chin high and address the American public to ridicule your opponent's budget with these words:

The year after next, nearly 10 million college students would see their financial aid cut by an average of more than $1,000 each.  There would be 1,600 fewer medical grants, research grants for things like Alzheimer's and cancer and AIDS.  There would be 4,000 fewer scientific research grants, eliminating support for 48,000 researchers, students, and teachers.  Investments in clean energy technologies that are helping us reduce our dependence on foreign oil would be cut by nearly a fifth.

If this budget becomes law and the cuts were applied evenly, starting in 2014, over 200,000 children would lose their chance to get an early education in the Head Start program.  Two million mothers and young children would be cut from a program that gives them access to healthy food.  There would be 4,500 fewer federal grants at the Department of Justice and the FBI to combat violent crime, financial crime, and help secure our borders.  Hundreds of national parks would be forced to close for part or all of the year.  We wouldn't have the capacity to enforce the laws that protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, or the food that we eat.

Cuts to the FAA would likely result in more flight cancellations, delays, and the complete elimination of air traffic control services in parts of the country.  Over time, our weather forecasts would become less accurate because we wouldn't be able to afford to launch new satellites.  And that means governors and mayors would have to wait longer to order evacuations in the event of a hurricane.

You are, after 3 years, effectively a guy who has nothing left to offer your constituents but fear, but you do it in such an eloquent manner that the dumb & stumble among them eat every word that drips from your lips.   

This is a man who knows who his audience is, and is unashamed to call them out.  He's marvelous.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #575 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

Again, I disagree.  I think he's one of the best speechgivinist presidents we have ever had.  Imagine that you just delivered your budget to congress and received a 0 confidence vote on it, not only by republicans, but by democrats as well.  Not a single vote. . . Yet you still have the ego to hold your chin high and address the American public to ridicule your opponent's budget with these words:

The year after next, nearly 10 million college students would see their financial aid cut by an average of more than $1,000 each.  There would be 1,600 fewer medical grants, research grants for things like Alzheimer's and cancer and AIDS.  There would be 4,000 fewer scientific research grants, eliminating support for 48,000 researchers, students, and teachers.  Investments in clean energy technologies that are helping us reduce our dependence on foreign oil would be cut by nearly a fifth.

If this budget becomes law and the cuts were applied evenly, starting in 2014, over 200,000 children would lose their chance to get an early education in the Head Start program.  Two million mothers and young children would be cut from a program that gives them access to healthy food.  There would be 4,500 fewer federal grants at the Department of Justice and the FBI to combat violent crime, financial crime, and help secure our borders.  Hundreds of national parks would be forced to close for part or all of the year.  We wouldn't have the capacity to enforce the laws that protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, or the food that we eat.

Cuts to the FAA would likely result in more flight cancellations, delays, and the complete elimination of air traffic control services in parts of the country.  Over time, our weather forecasts would become less accurate because we wouldn't be able to afford to launch new satellites.  And that means governors and mayors would have to wait longer to order evacuations in the event of a hurricane.

You are, after 3 years, effectively a guy who has nothing left to offer your constituents but fear, but you do it in such an eloquent manner that the dumb & stumble among them eat every word that drips from your lips.   

This is a man who knows who his audience is, and is unashamed to call them out.  He's marvelous.

On content and sheer hyperbole, he’s most definitely the master.  In fact, he’s one of the best politicians I’ve ever seen at spinning a yarn to scare the little people.

You must realize though, I competed in extemporaneous speech and debate in high school.  I’ve also judged competitions in the past.  His delivery is absolutely dreadful.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #576 on: April 05, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »

On content and sheer hyperbole, he’s most definitely the master.  In fact, he’s one of the best politicians I’ve ever seen at spinning a yarn to scare the little people.

You must realize though, I competed in extemporaneous speech and debate in high school.  I’ve also judged competitions in the past.  His delivery is absolutely dreadful.

Not to his audience.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »

A “thoughtful" pattern of speech would be clear and cohesive after a long pause for thought. mHemming and hawing is considered a sign someone doesn’t know what they are talking about and are spewing a complete line of bullshit or a complete lie.  Hardly a sign of intelligence, at least according to people who study such things.  

For awhile I thought I was the only person seeing this. I knew people like him in high school that were infinitely better at giving prepared speeches than me. But I was stronger at just being able to speak off the cuff. I just knew the material/subject. And if I didn't, i didn't pretend to.

When Obama speaks off the cuff, he seems like he has no idea what he is talking about. Or that is uncomfortable/nervous.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »

Wow, you people are freakin' nuts. If you can find them, look at unedited transcripts of past Presidents' extemporanous speaking. Or anyone's for that matter. Everyone (every. single. one. of. us.) ums and uhhs a lot in speech. I forget the technical term, but it's pretty much an automatic response when thinking of one's response. Recall and synthesis of ideas takes time.

If they don't do that, they're repeating pre-rehearsed lines by rote. If it's something you wouldn't expect a speaker to have had reason to formulate (and memorize!) a specific response for in advance, they're probably lying to you.

The psychology behind human speech is fascinating, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:36:04 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »

Wow, you people are freakin' nuts. If you can find them, look at unedited transcripts of past Presidents' extemporanous speaking. Or anyone's for that matter. Everyone (every. single. one. of. us.) ums and uhhs a lot in speech. I forget the technical term, but it's pretty much an automatic response when thinking of one's response. Recall and synthesis of ideas takes time.

If they don't do that, they're repeating pre-rehearsed lines by rote. If it's something you wouldn't expect a speaker to have had reason to formulate (and memorize!) a specific response for in advance, they're probably lying to you.

The psychology behind human speech is fascinating, IMO.

Maybe so, but no one was claiming Bush was brilliant like they do with the current POTUS.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »

Maybe so, but no one was claiming Bush was brilliant like they do with the current POTUS.

They couldn't.  He proved it every day.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

They couldn't.  He proved it every day.

+100

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #582 on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »

Well this is great news for Franciscan Univ. students:

In short: We. Will. Not. Comply. And our students are the first one who will feel the pinch.

Those who are left high and dry by the administration’s intrusion into our freedom to practice our faith are our students. Who knows how many will have insurance, how many will not, how many will have insurance of the quality we offered before, how many will be able to stay on their parents’ insurance through the extended adolescence provision of Obamacare, etc.

But there you have it: thanks to the government’s firm desire to make sure the one or two women left in the country who did not have easy and cheap access to contraceptives, abortifacients, and sterilization procedures, our 2,500 students will no longer have an insurance plan ready and waiting for them.

www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=30064
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:38:48 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #583 on: May 15, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »

Really, you're going to blame Obama because someone places their religion over all other considerations?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #584 on: May 15, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »

Really, you're going to blame Obama because someone places their religion over all other considerations?

Really?  You're asking that of the King of ODS?

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org