A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:20:10 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Askins Widens Lead Against Hiett  (Read 4908 times)
papaspot
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 07:55:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cubs

quote:
Slightly better than last year but nowhere near as good as it was about six years ago.

Well good because Bush has been President less than six years .... so you can't blame him.

That must be that right wing logic. [}:)]

You're right. Bush has only been in office 5.75 years--not SIX like I so carelessly asserted. But did I say it all changed six years ago? No, I said six years ago I was doing a lot better than now. I don't remember saying when that started to change.
papaspot
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 08:01:40 pm »

quote:

quote:
Despite the fact that at least two generations of Cubs fans have died, waiting.

At least two?? More like one.

More like FIVE if ya take twenty years to the generation. I'm sure some of their fans must have been old in 1910 and they died waiting for them to win another one. In 1930 another generation died off. Same thing in 1950, 1970 and 1990. In another four years, ya can say that SIX generations have died off waiting for another win. That's assuming that they don't win in the next four years and after a CENTURY of not winning, that's a pretty safe assumption.

EXCUSE me! After 0.98 of a century. [}:)]
papaspot
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 08:06:33 pm »

quote:

Frank Keating and Bill Clinton ... yes

ROFL!! You right wing extremist just can't seem to let the Clinton thing go, can ya? Hell, I bet as far as YOU'RE concerned, Bill Clinton was responsible for the dinosaurs becoming extinct 65 million years ago. [}:)]

When will you neocons ever learn that you're just as much to blame for everything as anyone else? Most other people are at least willing to accept SOME of the blame. But you neocons seem to think that EVERYTHING is the fault of the Democrats or the liberals and/or ANYONE except YOU. Wake up and smell the toast burning and take a little bit of RESPONSIBILITY for a change.
Chris
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 09:10:04 pm »

Amen Papa!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:11 am »

I've managed to prosper and improve my condition throughout the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II years.  I've made self-imposed career changes that might result in a lower income for a year or so, but then there's always been an increase that has followed.  

People who are willing to put out the effort and seek out their best opportunities to improve themselves will always prosper regardless which party has control of the White House or Congress.

When I used to be a regional manager for a chemical company, occasionally I would accompany a recruiter on an interview trip.  One of the first questions I would ask a candidate was this:  "How is the local economy?"  If he/she said it was slow, lousy, sucked, etc. I would give them about five more minutes of pleasantries then end the interview.  If they said it was good, great, growing, etc. they got my full attention.

My logic is if someone believes the environment is negative, they will have negative results.  If they believe the environment is robust, they will succeed and it was proven to me time and time again.

If I had a rep who wasn't doing well, they would say the market or economy was terrible and no one was spending any money.  Guess what, six months later with a new rep, calling on the same customers, and with the right attitude- we were growing.  It wasn't the local economy that changed, it was the positive paradigm of the new rep that made the difference.

I realize that doesn't take into account a factory worker somewhere who has had his job out-sourced to a foreign country.  However, instead of sitting around angry and loathing the economy, as an American- that person can choose to change occupations, or move freely about to find other work.

I refuse to blame or rely presidents and legislators for my financial well-being.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 10:25:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

One of the first questions I would ask a candidate was this:  "How is the local economy?"  If he/she said it was slow, lousy, sucked, etc. I would give them about five more minutes of pleasantries then end the interview.  If they said it was good, great, growing, etc. they got my full attention.

I like the idea, but I think it might be too harsh. It would have been an even better response if they "acknowledged that the economy is slow, but they've taken advantage of the situation by adding extra schooling or training". Or something to that extent. So that they maximize their potential for when the economy has picked back up.

If they always say the economy is great, then how do you know that they aren't going to fudge other information in the workplace?

---Robert
papaspot
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:31:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I've managed to prosper and improve my condition throughout the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II years.  I've made self-imposed career changes that might result in a lower income for a year or so, but then there's always been an increase that has followed.  

People who are willing to put out the effort and seek out their best opportunities to improve themselves will always prosper regardless which party has control of the White House or Congress.

When I used to be a regional manager for a chemical company, occasionally I would accompany a recruiter on an interview trip.  One of the first questions I would ask a candidate was this:  "How is the local economy?"  If he/she said it was slow, lousy, sucked, etc. I would give them about five more minutes of pleasantries then end the interview.  If they said it was good, great, growing, etc. they got my full attention.

My logic is if someone believes the environment is negative, they will have negative results.  If they believe the environment is robust, they will succeed and it was proven to me time and time again.

If I had a rep who wasn't doing well, they would say the market or economy was terrible and no one was spending any money.  Guess what, six months later with a new rep, calling on the same customers, and with the right attitude- we were growing.  It wasn't the local economy that changed, it was the positive paradigm of the new rep that made the difference.

I realize that doesn't take into account a factory worker somewhere who has had his job out-sourced to a foreign country.  However, instead of sitting around angry and loathing the economy, as an American- that person can choose to change occupations, or move freely about to find other work.

I refuse to blame or rely presidents and legislators for my financial well-being.

That's easy for YOU to say. YOU didn't hold 14,000 shares of Enron stock. [}:)]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org