A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:46:24 pm
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1480361 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1590 on: August 30, 2017, 08:16:10 am »

I've seen more online outrage about her stilettos than Felix Sater selling the Presidency to Russia. Priorities.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/videos/a57254/trump-felix-sater-bbc-interview/

It all goes to the total lack of morals, ethics, and scruples, by the people who still support Trump in spite of all the things he has done in the past.  They are not just willing to overlook, they are condoning and endorsing a wide variety of criminal activities, pedophilia, sexual molestation of women in general, strings of adultery, calling our POWs cowards...the list goes on and on.

As one local 'pundit' keeps putting it - at least it's not Hillary.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1591 on: August 30, 2017, 09:36:43 am »

Obviously Trump is a hypocrite.  That's been shown over and over and over again. 

Broader question - what's the point of Trump or Obama going to a hurricane zone? 

Obviously the nation is already focused on the area, this isn't a hidden tragedy.  The President isn't needed to "unite" the country, I don't think there is a large contingent in favor of the hurricane.  There is little need to physically see the damage beyond what satellites, other flyovers, video from helicopters, maps and advisers can tell him. It is a great expense and adds logistical pressure to an area whose police area already working never ending shifts (you work until you can't, then you sleep, then you work until you can't).

I get that its custom and expected.  But wouldn't it actually be better to just ask the emergency officials and then announce they have asked that they be allowed to focus on their tasks?  Then, when the crisis has passed, the news cameras go home, and our tiny attention spans have moved on... have a presidential visit to draw focus on the aftermath and the needs.  This doesn't end when the water goes back out to sea.

And CF nails it.

The reason Trump and Obama did is likely because of how GW Bush was shredded in the media after Katrina.

This was something Bush II did correctly with Katrina by doing a fly-over instead of landing and taking a tour.  But he was excoriated as uncaring and racist by people who don’t seem to understand how the Presidential entourage gums up the works when people need emergency assistance. 

I find it is great those with means donate great amounts to recovery efforts, but find it somewhat distasteful that they make a big media campaign about it.  I was always taught the best works of help are those you do anonymously.  One of the top headlines on Yahoo yesterday was how the Kardashian clan is sending $500K to Houston and that was followed by a string of celebrity tweets talking about how much they were donating.  That’s all fine and good but using a good deed as a PR ploy is distasteful, JMO.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1592 on: August 30, 2017, 09:41:18 am »

I find it is great those with means donate great amounts to recovery efforts, but find it somewhat distasteful that they make a big media campaign about it.  I was always taught the best works of help are those you do anonymously.  One of the top headlines on Yahoo yesterday was how the Kardashian clan is sending $500K to Houston and that was followed by a string of celebrity tweets talking about how much they were donating.  That’s all fine and good but using a good deed as a PR ploy is distasteful, JMO.

You were taught well, and properly.  It isn't just distasteful, it is prohibited.  By definition.  Matthew 6, 1-4.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6&version=KJV

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1593 on: August 30, 2017, 11:49:30 am »

Trump Promises '100 Percent' Support For Flood Victims

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/28/546758047/historic-flooding-in-houston-leads-to-surge-in-federal-assistance-efforts

In addition to his proposed budget cuts, Trump announced an executive order on Aug. 16 rolling back an Obama-era rule that new public infrastructure projects be designed with climate change, specifically rising sea levels and flood risk, in mind.

"100 Percent" screwed
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1594 on: August 30, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »

Even (especially!) when there is absolutely no reason to lie, Trump can't resist doing it anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4833712/Finland-says-no-fighter-deal-Boeing-Trumps-comments.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1595 on: August 30, 2017, 01:10:00 pm »

Interesting legal challenge to Trump's pardon of Sheriff Joe.  Apparently, there has not even been a President who pardoned an offender whose transgression was violating a Court Order to stop the government from violating constitutional rights.  The argument is that pardons are clearly broad, but can't be unlimited.

They argue:

The only way to enforce Constitutional protections is through the Courts. If an official refuses to stop violating constitutional rights even after a Court Order, criminal contempt is the recourse.  The last line of defense to stop the government from violating your Constitutional rights is criminal contempt through the Courts.  If the President has the power to over ride the Courts in this manner, the President has the power to enable any government official to violate any constitutional right with impunity.  Ergo, the President is more powerful than the Constitution.

Short version:
In other words, if the president can pardon anyone who defies court orders to enforce constitutional protections, then those constitutional protections are rendered meaningless.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/08/30/legal-challenge-to-arpaio-pardon-begins/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.39563321ab31

Very interesting argument.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:11:42 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1596 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:44 pm »

It all goes to the total lack of morals, ethics, and scruples, by the people who still support Trump in spite of all the things he has done in the past.  They are not just willing to overlook, they are condoning and endorsing a wide variety of criminal activities, pedophilia, sexual molestation of women in general, strings of adultery, calling our POWs cowards...the list goes on and on.

As one local 'pundit' keeps putting it - at least it's not Hillary.

Trump is firmly on the side of white supremacists. But let's call them by a more exact term - Nazis. And those Republicans who don't speak out against him in hopes of furthering their own agendas are Nazi collaborators.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1597 on: August 30, 2017, 03:29:58 pm »

Interesting legal challenge to Trump's pardon of Sheriff Joe.  Apparently, there has not even been a President who pardoned an offender whose transgression was violating a Court Order to stop the government from violating constitutional rights.  The argument is that pardons are clearly broad, but can't be unlimited.

They argue:

The only way to enforce Constitutional protections is through the Courts. If an official refuses to stop violating constitutional rights even after a Court Order, criminal contempt is the recourse.  The last line of defense to stop the government from violating your Constitutional rights is criminal contempt through the Courts.  If the President has the power to over ride the Courts in this manner, the President has the power to enable any government official to violate any constitutional right with impunity.  Ergo, the President is more powerful than the Constitution.

Short version: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/08/30/legal-challenge-to-arpaio-pardon-begins/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.39563321ab31

Very interesting argument.

Fingers crossed !!!   Big time!!   But then, we now have that particular Supreme Court in place....

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1598 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:44 pm »

Trump is firmly on the side of white supremacists. But let's call them by a more exact term - Nazis. And those Republicans who don't speak out against him in hopes of furthering their own agendas are Nazi collaborators.

I don't really think he's a Nazi. But, he's willing to pander to them and even protect them if they are useful to him. He does not care about the impact the Nazi types have on other people and he doesn't even care that those Nazis would like to see his own daughter and grandchildren kicked out of the country or worse, just be put to death.

In a lot of ways what he is doing is worse than being a Nazi.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1599 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:05 pm »

I don't really think he's a Nazi. But, he's willing to pander to them and even protect them if they are useful to him. He does not care about the impact the Nazi types have on other people and he doesn't even care that those Nazis would like to see his own daughter and grandchildren kicked out of the country or worse, just be put to death.

In a lot of ways what he is doing is worse than being a Nazi.

Jeff Sessions wants you to believe that the Obama administration made it impossible for police departments to obtain military gear from the federal government—and that Donald Trump, by signing an executive order that reverses that restrictive policy, is triumphantly turning that faucet back on. As Sessions said in a speech to the Fraternal Order of Police on Monday, “The executive order the president will sign today will ensure that you can get the lifesaving gear that you need to do your job.”

What Sessions did not say is that, with a few small exceptions, law enforcement agencies could already acquire whatever military equipment they want, so long as they committed to certain best practices, maintained consistent policies about when the equipment could be deployed, and could demonstrate that the officers who would be using the equipment were properly trained. The fact that the Trump administration wants to get rid of these conditions tells you everything you need to know about what’s driving the change in policy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/08/28/cops_can_already_get_military_gear_trump_s_new_policy_ensures_they_can_use.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1600 on: August 30, 2017, 08:18:40 pm »

Jeff Sessions wants you to believe that the Obama administration made it impossible for police departments to obtain military gear from the federal government—and that Donald Trump, by signing an executive order that reverses that restrictive policy, is triumphantly turning that faucet back on. As Sessions said in a speech to the Fraternal Order of Police on Monday, “The executive order the president will sign today will ensure that you can get the lifesaving gear that you need to do your job.”

What Sessions did not say is that, with a few small exceptions, law enforcement agencies could already acquire whatever military equipment they want, so long as they committed to certain best practices, maintained consistent policies about when the equipment could be deployed, and could demonstrate that the officers who would be using the equipment were properly trained. The fact that the Trump administration wants to get rid of these conditions tells you everything you need to know about what’s driving the change in policy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/08/28/cops_can_already_get_military_gear_trump_s_new_policy_ensures_they_can_use.html

Best practices and training are for losers
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1601 on: August 31, 2017, 06:55:05 am »

Fingers crossed !!!   Big time!!   But then, we now have that particular Supreme Court in place....

Upholding the Constitution as the supreme saw of the land seems to be a very conservative position.  Maintaining checks and balances seems to be a very conservative position.  Now, forbidding someone from gaining absolute power is technically a liberal position, but those dang hippy founding fathers were in favor of it so I think we can overlook it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1602 on: August 31, 2017, 08:38:08 am »

Upholding the Constitution as the supreme saw of the land seems to be a very conservative position.  Maintaining checks and balances seems to be a very conservative position.  Now, forbidding someone from gaining absolute power is technically a liberal position, but those dang hippy founding fathers were in favor of it so I think we can overlook it.

That's what they want us to believe.  But when they define an artificial, legislatively created construct as 'human'...well, that just shows the real BS behind the curtain.  Corporations are people.  In Supreme Court Circus Land.   It is so difficult to maintain respect for an institution that is so blatantly biased against real people in favor of imitation people.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1603 on: August 31, 2017, 08:44:02 am »

imitation people.

We could refer to them as aspartame people or Splenda people.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1604 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:05 am »

We could refer to them as aspartame people or Splenda people.

Saccharin is the preferred name.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org