A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:59:29 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Five Years Later, BOK Center Is Still A Hit  (Read 16924 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 11:16:06 am »

Obviously inspired by if not borrowed from Pelli.

How could they not see that they were designing a toilet bowl?

I'd suggest they work with it.  Make it convertible, have the lid lift up, put a giant swimming pool under the flooring, etc.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 11:33:59 am »

Rather have a the roll of duct tape arena or the toilet bowl arena?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11583606/golden-state-warriors-flush-notion-toilet-bowl-design

The team currently does play in Oakland so they are kinda used to a toilet bowl.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 06:53:22 am »

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »

Someone had the guts to say no?  I wish someone had said no to our rolled permanently water stained duck tape smush swirl design.  I love that it's there but it gets uglier each time I see it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

Someone had the guts to say no?  I wish someone had said no to our rolled permanently water stained duck tape smush swirl design.  I love that it's there but it gets uglier each time I see it.

Not me.  Can't tell you how many times I've had out-of-town visitors comment to me how much they like the design.  And how much more roomy the entire building is compared to just about any other arena its size.  I've been to alot.  Walking ScottTrade Center (St Louis) concourse makes you feel like your moving in a sardine cane.  At least with ours, the design is functional.

But that's just me and my visitor's opinions.  It elicits reaction for sure.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:35 pm »

I'm actually a fan (except for the smudge).
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »

I'm actually a fan (except for the smudge).

I went last Saturday (Oiler open house) looked like they had been cleaning the facade.  I saw repel lines and didnt' see any streaks of note.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:44 am »

Not me.  Can't tell you how many times I've had out-of-town visitors comment to me how much they like the design.  And how much more roomy the entire building is compared to just about any other arena its size.  I've been to alot.  Walking ScottTrade Center (St Louis) concourse makes you feel like your moving in a sardine cane.  At least with ours, the design is functional.

But that's just me and my visitor's opinions.  It elicits reaction for sure.

No complaints about the interior.  It's great.  The exterior is hideous, especially with the constant stains.  Even a different material would be a massive upgrade.  How was it not known at the time that it would stain constantly?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:30 am »

No complaints about the interior.  It's great.  The exterior is hideous, especially with the constant stains.  Even a different material would be a massive upgrade.  How was it not known at the time that it would stain constantly?

That was a constant criticism even before the first panels were laid.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 08:59:43 am »

How was it not known at the time that it would stain constantly?

Well it is stainless steel.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 09:17:43 am »

I would agree about the stains, but as I noted, they looked like they'd been cleaned.  This building with the 8 percent incline from top to bottom doesn't lend itself to shedding water properly, especially with all the interlocking panels.  I thought early on I'd read that the would clean them twice a year.  I'm not so sure they've been keeping that up.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:35 am »

I would agree about the stains, but as I noted, they looked like they'd been cleaned.  This building with the 8 percent incline from top to bottom doesn't lend itself to shedding water properly, especially with all the interlocking panels.  I thought early on I'd read that the would clean them twice a year.  I'm not so sure they've been keeping that up.

I recall that the blame for the staining was placed on the use of the wrong appoxy in the joints between the panels and that it was supposed to be changed out at some point.  It's been a while, so that is relying on a foggy memory.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:39 am »

I've seen them clean it then start showing stains within a matter of weeks.  It's just sad in my opinion.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 02:14:49 pm »

Well it is stainless steel.

Don't make me use the pony again
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

Don't make me use the pony again

Go ahead....use the pony!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org