A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:26:14 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Hotel Proposed Across from Arena  (Read 64322 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:14:26 am »

I did the model of the hotel.  It's very basic and conceptual.  The arena model is just a simple "placeholder" model for location illustration.  I did not produce it.

As the project progresses the model will become an actual rendering, and YES the arena will look much more refined.  This image was for presentation to the TDA and is very preliminary.

Our Architect, Larry Gordon Wilson, AIA is really trying to push the envelope by reinforcing the Art-Deco style.  

It is an exciting project, and our developer, Mr. Raskin, has gone a long way to make sure that all of the financial elements are in place.  He is also making NO demands of the city, which is refreshing. He's an old-school developer that likes private projects funded by private interests rather than reaching into your pocket.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:19:07 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 09:18:59 am »

Can you tell us what the windowless part on the SE corner is then? Convention space?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Can you tell us what the windowless part on the SE corner is then? Convention space?

A portion of that will be convention space depending on the hotel chain that Mr. Raskin selects.  That portion will also be expanded to accommodate at least a 200 car enclosed garage.  

We want any parking we develop for the site to be completely hidden from recognition as a parking structure.  Tulsa has enough of those.

dbacks fan
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:19 am »

I like the concept especially the large amount of store front that it provides. Lot's of good possibilities for a variety of businesses. I also like the disguised parking garage, it helps it blend into the design so that it does not take away from the flow and design.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:54 am »

That's a pretty sexy building. I'm excited...

---Robert
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:57 am »

Thanks for the other rendering. Glad to see it's more storefronts and glass.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:21 am »

Knowing we have a man on the "inside" will help me accept this project.  Too often it seems like pipe dreams, but Gas seems a straight shooter.

I'm also excited to hear about embracing the Art Deco theme.  I look forward to more details (and renderings).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:52 am »

We are excited too.  We are not the only player on this property though.  The city & Jones Lang LeSalle is entertaining other developers who are currently working on proposals and concepts for various developments on this land or portions of it.

Mr. Raskin is however the only developer (to my knowledge) with contracts on most of the property and a plan that does not request or require public funds.

FOTD
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

We are excited too.  We are not the only player on this property though.  The city & Jones Lang LeSalle is entertaining other developers who are currently working on proposals and concepts for various developments on this land or portions of it.

Mr. Raskin is however the only developer (to my knowledge) with contracts on most of the property and a plan that does not request or require public funds.

The devil gives it %20 chance of becoming reality based on the players. Nice crayola renderings.

They best hurry because in 2 years, the arena turns into a white elephant.
rwarn17588
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

PS.  I'm waiting for someone to swoop in on that no-name downtown hotel (Downtown Plaza Hotel or something?), dump couple of mil$ all over it and rebrand it completely.  It seems just ripe for the picking.

I'm a volunteer for the National Historic Route 66 Federation for its Dining and Lodging Guide, which requires my wife and I to make recommendations for restaurant and hotel options for certain segments. We have to visit each of these places personally and even make unannounced room inspections of the hotels. We have the Tulsa segment.

The Downtown Plaza is on an old alignment of Route 66 through downtown. I went earlier this summer to check it out, but wasn't terribly optimistic it would be listed.

Was I ever wrong. The hotel had just undergone extensive renovation. It has just about every amenity you can think of, and it was immaculately clean and fresh.

The best hotel in Tulsa is the Ambassador. But I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the Downtown Plaza. And it's going to be cheaper -- from $99 to $150 a night.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 11:31:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:

The devil gives it %20 chance of becoming reality based on the players. Nice crayola renderings.

Thank you.  Your optimism and vast development knowledge is always welcome.

MDepr2007
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 12:07:37 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:

Thank you.  Your optimism and vast development knowledge is always welcome.

I think it comes from living here too long and seeing how you have to include certain people or you don't get to play in the next round.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 01:36:28 pm »

quote:

We want any parking we develop for the site to be completely hidden from recognition as a parking structure.  Tulsa has enough of those.

Glad to hear there's a desire to disguise the structured parking.  Does that mean street-level retail in addition to cool design?  (It should!  The Downtown Master Plan recommends that all stuctured parking should have "retail or other active uses along the street face"...with the goal of creating an "active, mixed-use, compact, pedestrian-friendly environment.")

The other thing that is devestating to a walkable, downtown area is any large expanse of a single thing (like a building with big, blank walls, or a large office building).  The more street frontage that is dedicated to a variety of uses, the better.  This encourages pedestrians, increases safety, and stimiluates lively streets with opportunities for people watching, shopping, dining, etc.)

How cool would it be if "conference center" didn't have to mean "single-use obstacle to pedestrians."  Imagine a conference center surrounded by a ring of human-scaled,  restaurant/retail on the streetfront!

I can't tell if that's in the plan based on these drawings...but if it is, it would make a spectacular contribution to downtown. And it would set the standard for all future downtown infill projects.

I've got my fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:40:13 pm by PonderInc » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

quote:

Glad to hear there's a desire to disguise the structured parking.  Does that mean street-level retail in addition to cool design?  (It should!  The Downtown Master Plan recommends that all stuctured parking should have "retail or other active uses along the street face"...with the goal of creating an "active, mixed-use, compact, pedestrian-friendly environment.")

The other thing that is devestating to a walkable, downtown area is any large expanse of a single thing (like a building with big, blank walls, or a large office building).  The more street frontage that is dedicated to a variety of uses, the better.  This encourages pedestrians, increases safety, and stimiluates lively streets with opportunities for people watching, shopping, dining, etc.)

How cool would it be if "conference center" didn't have to mean "single-use obstacle to pedestrians."  Imagine a conference center surrounded by a ring of human-scaled,  restaurant/retail on the streetfront!

I can't tell if that's in the plan based on these drawings...but if it is, it would make a spectacular contribution to downtown. And it would set the standard for all future downtown infill projects.

I've got my fingers crossed!

Yes retail all around. The only break will be for entrance to the hotel and parking structure, but we are working to make that have the least impact on the frontage.  What you see on the East side of the structure (the part with no windows) is due to the fact that the garage entry location is still under consideration.

There is approximately 45,000 s.f. of retail/restaurant facing the street.  

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »

Channel 2 will have more info on the development this evening on the 5 o'clock news.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org