A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:03:38 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United Soccer Leagues First Division  (Read 4601 times)
OurTulsa
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:29:15 pm »

So if we aren't going to get an MLS team why not attempt to score a team in one of these leagues?  If we're such a soccer town, surely we'd support one of these teams...and we wouldn't necessarily need to pump millions into a signature venue but still get some quality soccer.  Maybe it would be a step toward landing an MLS team?

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/index_E.html
inteller
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:25:12 pm »

hey sure why not....we need a b rate league for a b rate city....hell we have b rate arena football and d league basketball.  lets shoot for mediocre!
OurTulsa
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:01:26 pm »

We like soccer so much around here, why not establish one of these teams and go from there.  Hell, Springfield, MO has a team in the league, be it a development team, but still.

Looks like there are a lot of B league cities hosting those teams including Seattle, Austin, Vancouver, SanFran, Dallas...Quit being an Ahole.
USRufnex
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:25:03 pm »

You can choose between Tulsa Revolution indoor soccer...http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6484

Or Oklahoma Falcons outdoor soccer...http://www.okfalconsfc.com/index.php

IMO, the only way minor league soccer (or soccer in general, for that matter) is going to succeed on anything other than a temporary basis in Tulsa is if the local media gives them equal time with the Drillers, Oilers, Talons and 66ers... and the new team has at least a few radio broadcasts available and a decent advertising budget...

I don't like resorting to wikipedia, but click on the link and scroll down to the graveyard of USL teams over the years...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Leagues

I'm pretty sure that if former mayor Susan Savage's Tulsa Project had passed a decade ago, there would have been a USL First Division (soccer's version of AAA baseball) team starting in 1997 that would have eventually been playing at that new 5,000 seat soccer track&field facility planned for downtown (down the street from the new natatorium...) [Cheesy]

Among minor league sports cities in general, I think Tulsa's about average... compare Tulsa's attendance/gate receipts/support for minor league hockey, baseball and/or arena football to that of OKC, Memphis, Louisville, Wichita, Little Rock, Albuquerque, Omaha, etc...

I'm just disappointed that Tulsa-based Winnercomm hasn't ever stepped up, considering the truckload of money they've made doing production work for tv telecasts of MLS and USL soccer over the years... and I believe if it weren't for the original Tulsa Roughnecks' tv deals with KTUL and the connections made, that Winnercomm (founded in 1982) would never have got that gig...

http://www.winnercomm.com/2006/about_history.asp
quote:
When Major League Soccer took to the pitch for the first time in 1996, Winnercomm was there. Every MLS telecast that has aired on ABC Sports, ESPN and ESPN2 has been a Winnercomm production. The personnel, the facilities, the graphics – all from the company that has produced more televised soccer than anyone since 1997. From the first play of the match to the final whistle, no one knows how to present soccer on television better than Winnercomm.

USRufnex
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:29:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

One of the commercial property companies (Brandt, I think) has a few parcels of open land for sale roughly west of that park.  There's more which could be acquired for such a development.

Since I don't have kids in soccer, I don't have the slightest clue what the demand is for a pro soccer stadium these days.  Anyone got an idea?  Is it like it used to be when Green Country Soccer first came in and then the Roughnecks?  Is there as much amateur participation in soccer as there used to be? More?

I think the fields you and AJ refer to are part of the PSO WestBank Soccer Complex, home of the Tulsa Thunder Soccer Club.  http://www.tulsathunder.org/

--I worry a little about bruised egos if any kind of soccer stadium is constructed in an area that would benefit one competitive club over the many others in Tulsa...

Tulsa Soccer Club, established in 1992 by former New York Cosmos defender an NASL All-Star Keith Eddy...
http://www.tulsasoccerclub.com/
Tulsa Nationals, established in 1995 by former Roughnecks' player Victor Moreland...
http://www.tulsanationals.org/index.php
Blitz United Soccer Club, established in 1993.
http://www.blitzunited.org/index.php
Hurricane Football Club,  http://www.hurricanefutballclub.org/index.php?ct=about
Tulsa United Soccer Club, http://www.tulsaunitedsoccerclub.com/
Metro Tulsa Soccer Clubs,
http://www.metrotulsasoccer.com/
...etc, etc, etc...
USRufnex
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:01:45 pm »

MLS's business plan for "mixed-use" approach to ensure financial success and get stadiums built...

from former Chicago Fire GM who's currently trying to get MLS in Milwaukee...
quote:
No,it's not an outdated approach with stadia in the suburbs. Mixed-use development works in the suburbs, too. There's no single formula for economic success of a stadium. The common theme is that there must be additional revenue streams than just the stadium. Capture of revenues from an urban real estate development near a stadium is still an extremely attractive formula. Harrison, NJ and Washington, DC will have that model. Bridgeview is developing the east parking lot of TP with a waterpark, hotel, shops and restaurants to help fund the stadium. Soccer complexes are another form of ancillary revenue generation that can fund/justify stadium development. Pizza Hut Park used that formula. Colorado used a hybrid of soccer complex and mixed use development. KC and St. Louis are pursuing a similar hybrid model. Toronto is unique in that BMO Field stands alone. It was built inexpensively mainly with public funds and will have year round public usage to help justify the public investment.

I assume Tulsa's only chance at MLS is if some desperate owners in KC find somebody in Tulsa willing to buy... then would need to sell MLS on the benefits of playing at a renovated Skelly Stadium with a widened grass field... yeah... wishful thinking.

USL1 could be played within the dimensions of a minor league ballpark... not optimal, but better than nothing if the right local owners/operators are found to support it...

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:36:47 am »

quote:
Originally posted by OurTulsa

Looks like there are a lot of B league cities hosting those teams including Seattle, Austin, Vancouver, SanFran, Dallas...

+1.

And the state of affairs is that Tulsa will remain a "B" on the professional sports scale.  Just like Albuquerque, Des Moines, Omaha, Little Rock, and all the other cities our size.  We can hope to be a Green Bay, but it just isnt likely to happen.  The only "big boy" sports team is town the University of Tulsa, enjoy them if you are into the "A league" teams.

If professional sports are a must, move to a city that has at least as many people as our state, Tulsa is not the right fit for you.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:52:34 am »

US, I'm on board with your goal of getting a pro soccer team here.  I like the idea, but it is unlikely Tulsa will compete with the new markets and stadiums those teams are now demanding.    Sorry, I just don't see it happening.  

But keep on trying!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
USRufnex
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »

...was waiting to see if this made the Daily Oklahoman print edition... evidently, it didn't...
------------------------------------------------

12/25/2007
By Matt Caban
Staff Writer

The United Soccer League is considering Oklahoma City as one of eight sites for expansion in its First Division for the 2009 and 2010 seasons, said Matt Weibe, the league's managing director of club development and communications.

He said other cities being considered are Albuquerque, Austin, Birmingham, Omaha, Sacramento, San Antonio and St. Louis.

Weibe said USL First Division is the second-highest level of professional soccer in the U.S. and Canada, behind Major League Soccer.

Weibe said the USL is familiar with the demographics and market size of Oklahoma City.

"They are perfect for the USL First Division," he said. "We hope to be there with a USL 1 team within two years."

Weibe said he will open discussions and dialogue with potential local investors and owners.

"We will begin soliciting the soccer community and interested individuals just after the New Year," Weibe said. "Then, we may assemble a local franchise steering committee of soccer people and fans. Those who are passionate about bringing professional soccer to Oklahoma City."

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett welcomes the USL's interest — although he was unaware of the league's expansion plans when contacted by The Oklahoman.

While unaware of the USL's interest in Oklahoma City, Mayor Mick Cornett said he welcomes it.

"I'm always interested in talking to the leagues," Cornett said. "If they are serious about putting a team here, they should initiate contact with us and visit the city. I'm anxious to hear from them."

Mark Persson, Southern Nazarene University head men's and women's soccer coach said he and Mike Cook, University of Central Oklahoma head soccer coach, are in the early stages of putting together a bid for a franchise. Persson said he will start looking for potential investors after the New Year.

"We have a great talent base here and good facilities, but it's a matter of getting money and support," Persson said.

Interest in a United Soccer League franchise comes about three years after UCO officials and Express Sports put together a bid for an Major League Soccer expansion franchise. Express Sports CEO Brad Lund said while there is nothing new on the MLS front, the USL has had its eyes on Oklahoma City for years.

"No one from the league has contacted me in a couple of years," Lund said. "There would be a lot less risk at that level of soccer," Lund said of the USL.

Lund said the higher-level MLS required a $10 million franchise fee back in 2004. According to multiple media outlets, the MLS fee is now $30 million. However, the franchise fee for USL First Division is $350,000, Weibe said.

While Express Sports is not actively looking to land a pro soccer team of any kind at this point, but the idea has not been ruled out, said Josh Evans, Express Sports vice president of communications. Express Sports owns the Oklahoma City Blazers hockey team and Oklahoma RedHawks baseball team.

"We have a few people in the office who are interested in soccer," Evans said. "If something came along with a good business plan, we'd take a look at it."

Weibe said the USL First Division will have 11 teams in 2008 and include clubs in major markets such as Atlanta, Miami, Montreal, Portland and Seattle. Since most USL First Division teams are located on the coasts, the league is looking to expand into the Midwest and Southwest, he said.

The average attendance last season for a USL First Division game was about 4,700, Weibe said. He said most USL First Division teams have an annual operating budget of $1.2 million to $1.6 million.

Weibe said there is not a major competitive difference between MLS and USL First Division.

"MLS has a couple more international players," Weibe said, "But we have teams advancing in the U.S. Open Cup against MLS sides."

USRufnex
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:01:15 pm »

But wait there's more...

12/25/2007
By Matt Caban
Staff Writer

A United Soccer League First Division team in Tulsa is not out of the question, said Matt Weibe, the league's managing director of club development and communications. Weibe said there have been discussions with interested individuals from that area.

One is Ali Abidi,, who owns (?) the SoccerUSA chain of stores based in Broken Arrow. Abidi who has coached the Tulsa-based Oklahoma Falcons, a team of amateurs and collegiate players. He said the Falcons would be the foundation for a USL Premiere Development League Team.

Abidi said he would like to have a PDL team by 2009 with the goal of moving it to the USL First Division after two years.

"It all depends how well we do with the PDL team," Abidi said.

While Abidi has done some of the groundwork for a team, he does not own the rights to a USL franchise in Tulsa, Weibe said.

"There is a franchise fee of $350,000 for a USL-I team," Weibe said. "That fee will go up to $500,000 in (the) second quarter 2008."

The franchise fee for a PDL team is $50,000, Weibe said.

Tulsa has been home to several pro teams, including the Roughnecks of the old North American Soccer League in the 1970s.
USRufnex
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 11:42:36 pm »

http://www.austinaztex.com/

Austin, Texas – Today heralds a groundbreaking day for sports in Austin with the news that the City will soon be home to its only professional soccer franchise. The new club, Austin Aztex, will play in the United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division beginning in the 2009 season. The Aztex will play host to teams from all across North America, including Montreal, Atlanta, Minnesota, Vancouver and Miami.

The new franchise has been acquired by Austin Football Holdings LLC, (AFH) under the ownership of British born business entrepreneur Phil Rawlins. An Austin resident, Rawlins is also an owner and director of Stoke City F.C. who play in the English Championship. He has had an ownership interest in Stoke City for more than seven years and brings a wealth of management experience in soccer operations.

The Austin Aztex will have an official affiliation with Stoke City which will begin immediately. The affiliation will include the English club holding their summer training camp in Austin, scouting for talent both locally and across the US, exchanging players with the Aztex and sharing best practices between the two clubs.

http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/AustinAztex/0,,10310~1223255,00.html

Interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org