A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:18:57 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe a Strange Question  (Read 7547 times)
mjchamplin
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:35:54 am »

I drive by the abandoned Safeway on Denver almost every day (I know this has been discussed elsewhere, that's not what I'm on about.)

I'm curious about finding some statistics on how many people live within walking distance of the store. Does anyone know where I might get some rough population estimates on the high-rise condos and apartments in the area?

This is just kind of a pet project I've been mulling over in my head for a while. Any information would be helpful.
Hometown
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

I drive by the abandoned Safeway on Denver almost every day (I know this has been discussed elsewhere, that's not what I'm on about.)

I'm curious about finding some statistics on how many people live within walking distance of the store. Does anyone know where I might get some rough population estimates on the high-rise condos and apartments in the area?

This is just kind of a pet project I've been mulling over in my head for a while. Any information would be helpful.

Very good question but someone else will have to give you numbers.  I live on Reservoir Hill (in North Tulsa) and drive to either 15th & Lewis or 41st and Yale to do my grocery shopping at least once a week.  So do my neighbors.  There is no decent retail grocery operation in the entire North West Quadrant of the City.  And residents of Riverview and Maple Ridge must make the same drive I do.

That old Safeway is a decent looking building with lots of parking and it's centrally located for all these crusty old neighborhoods -- full of hungry, well-off shoppers.

I don't understand why someone isn't there, doing business, raking in the bucks right now.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:02:09 pm »

I think there are several reasons that store closed. One, for a long time that area, downtown, and other nearby areas were going downhill. In recent years the trend has reversed. Another thing was that while the area was going downhill, the store went downhill too. I remembered going in there before it closed, it looked like crap. I didnt ever want to go back and would rather drive further to go someplace decent. But, thats neither here nor there lol. I do think the area is ripe for a grocery store once again.

Question, if a grocery store was to go in there, would it have the best luck being an inexpensive market or more "upscale"? If it were inexpensive, could it compete with the bigger chains that can get big cost reductions? We have had plenty of discussions on here where people will say,,, "I am not going to that store even though its closer to me because the prices are higher than the store I go to." or " Well that store doesnt have this or that, the selection isnt as good as my bigger store."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:07:49 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:48 pm »

I remembered going in there before it closed, it looked like crap. I didnt ever want to go back and would rather drive further to go someplace decent.

You sure nailed that one. That floor was gross.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
PepePeru
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:26:38 pm »

your best bet would probably be census 2000 data, yeah its pretty out of date at this point.
but i don't know of anywhere else that will have that detailed information you're requiring.

http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

there is an online map you can play around w.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=&geo_id=16000US4075000&_geoContext=01000US|04000US40|16000US4075000&_street=&_county=tulsa&_cityTown=tulsa&_state=04000US40&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 01:12:39 pm »

That was my "home" store when I lived at Center Plaza about 22 years ago.  It was pretty rough.  I think the old Cog Corner was still there across the street.  There was a rough liquor store and other undesireable businesses around then.  The area isn't quite such a homeless magnet anymore since most of the homeless centers are north of the tracks now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:17:43 pm »

I live about 6 blocks away from that store. Would LOVE to see it open again.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:19:56 pm »

The owner of that land will no more lease to a fly by night grocer than the man in the moon. He will sit tight for the first high return low risk option. To date, no takers. Don't hold your breath.
Hometown
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:37:21 pm »

The owner of that land will no more lease to a fly by night grocer than the man in the moon. He will sit tight for the first high return low risk option. To date, no takers. Don't hold your breath.

Is it a situation where he can claim a loss and offset profits from other holdings?  So it is actually to his advantage to leave it sitting empty?

Certainly the city would have tools at its disposal to make his life miserable and to motivate him to get it going.

FOTD
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:59:34 pm »

Is it a situation where he can claim a loss and offset profits from other holdings?  So it is actually to his advantage to leave it sitting empty?

Certainly the city would have tools at its disposal to make his life miserable and to motivate him to get it going.

1) Sure. But they don't need to do that. The land "someday" will be re-developed.

2) contrary to popular belief, the city is not in the real estate bidness. Also, we live in a democracy where the rights to property are paramount. The city could no more "motivate" these wise business people to move along any more than the wondering homeless in the "Brady". the owner did make concessions when the library was on the ballot....so, they no doubt would cooperate in a reasonable venture. Again, don't turn blue in the face over this...
mjchamplin
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 03:01:38 pm »

Well in the case of the owner of the property holding out, that's a shame. I don't think the city putting "pressure" on anyone is the solution -- instead do something to make it worth their while. Incentive.

So far as what type of grocery, I could see it going either way. High-end whole foods type place or lower cost, though I think a low cost provider would face steeper competition from other places. I don't know. Something in the middle of the road might be nice. I can't think of any chain in particular (at least from this part of the country). I would say that personally it seems like the kind of people that are moving into downtown might be the types of people who would appreciate a higher-end "boutique" type grocery store...who knows.

I'm neither a grocer nor a developer, I just see great potential in the property.  Smiley
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 03:05:24 pm »

Speaking of large or small groceries, I've not heard Blue Jackalope mentioned lately.  Are they still around?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

1) Sure. But they don't need to do that. The land "someday" will be re-developed.

2) contrary to popular belief, the city is not in the real estate bidness. Also, we live in a democracy where the rights to property are paramount. The city could no more "motivate" these wise business people to move along any more than the wondering homeless in the "Brady". the owner did make concessions when the library was on the ballot....so, they no doubt would cooperate in a reasonable venture. Again, don't turn blue in the face over this...

City Club ....

But maybe the owner of this property is better placed.  I can hear Ms. Taylor, now, "It doesn't matter that we are best friends..."

Tulsa's such a small town, how can we help an occasional conflict?

Hometown
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »

Well in the case of the owner of the property holding out, that's a shame. I don't think the city putting "pressure" on anyone is the solution -- instead do something to make it worth their while. Incentive.

So far as what type of grocery, I could see it going either way. High-end whole foods type place or lower cost, though I think a low cost provider would face steeper competition from other places. I don't know. Something in the middle of the road might be nice. I can't think of any chain in particular (at least from this part of the country). I would say that personally it seems like the kind of people that are moving into downtown might be the types of people who would appreciate a higher-end "boutique" type grocery store...who knows.

I'm neither a grocer nor a developer, I just see great potential in the property.  Smiley

This town is crawling with potential just about everywhere north of 51st St.

People in San Francisco would kill for the Pearl District or a zillion other potential opportunities here.

All we need are more people with dispossible income with the kind of sensibility that drives them to the city center.  We seem to be just short of a critical mass.  And we are doing our best to drive away one of our most dynamic economic engines that had been populating the older parts of town -- the Latin Community.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 03:53:06 pm »

This town is crawling with potential just about everywhere north of 51st St.

People in San Francisco would kill for the Pearl District or a zillion other potential opportunities here.

All we need are more people with dispossible income with the kind of sensibility that drives them to the city center.  We seem to be just short of a critical mass.  And we are doing our best to drive away one of our most dynamic economic engines that had been populating the older parts of town -- the Latin Community.

I seem to recall that the local government has been an active supporter FOR the Latino community here in Tulsa. It was the Oklahoma government that was working on driving them away.

---Robert
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org