A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:30:24 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for charter changes  (Read 2757 times)
shadows
City Father

« on: July 01, 2009, 04:55:24 pm »

Lets amend the charter.

20 years have passed since we made a drastic change in the city charter.  We have moved from a prospers city to the edge of bankruptcy.  We have encouraged city employees to move to the suburbs,  We try to bring the business back downtown that we moved out during the two decades.  It is time to make changes.

1. Change the council to full time positions.
2. Council appoint a protocol Mayor.
3. Council hire City Manager who answers to the council.
4. Council assumes duties of all authorities, boards and trusts retiring all such that now exist.
5. Council hires audit firm that reports to council with subjections on how to save money and combine city services.
6. Council oversee all department heads.
7. City employees (meter maids) take police reports on secondary crimes.
8. Fire department on 8 hour shifts.
9. Set a wage scale for all city employees.

The war between the states in 1860 was caused from the fallout of the industrial revolution.  Lets prepare now for the fallout of the electronic age as it brings increased unemployment eliminating jobs.   

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
waterboy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:12:39 pm »

Provocative ideas. I like a lot of them.  Perhaps you could illucidate on some of them. It puts a lot of power into the hands of councilors. Appointed Mayor as protocol? That really swings the power to a committee of politicos and creates a leadership vacuum that would put the councillors at odds as they jockey for position. Call me old fashioned but I like the balance of powers that our founding fathers created; legislative, executive and judicial. The mayor/council should be in some balance.

And who would spearhead such a movement? Cause it isn't going to happen on its own. Too much change and too much power at stake. The only reason we changed it 20 years ago was because of a potential law suit.

BTW, too simplistic with the Civil War reference. There were lots of issues, cultural, societal, industrial and political. But I get your point. This is a time of similar upheaval.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:30:35 pm by waterboy » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 05:48:38 pm »

Provocative ideas. I like a lot of them.  Perhaps you could illucidate on some of them. It puts a lot of power into the hands of councilors. Appointed Mayor as protocol? That really swings the power to a committee of politicos and creates a leadership vacuum that would put the councillors at odds as they jockey for position. Call me old fashioned but I like the balance of powers that our founding fathers created; legislative, executive and judicial. The mayor/council should be in some balance.

And who would spearhead such a movement? Cause it isn't going to happen on its own. Too much change and too much power at stake. The only reason we changed it 20 years ago was because of a potential law suit.

BTW, too simplistic with the Civil War reference. There were lots of issues, cultural, societal, industrial and political. But I get your point. This is a time of similar upheaval.

At the time this came up, FOTD was working weekly with Charlie Norman begging him not to act out of fear of a lawsuit. That lawsuit that scared us would have been negated. So, don't say the devil was in any of these details.

Shadows. #3 ...head of Public Werks and Kier are our sity managers.
              #4 ....will never get past the oligarch egos and their dollar commitments...

and good luck with that full time corrupt councilor stuff.....

The rest of your ideas seem good.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:54:13 pm by FOTD » Logged
Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »

Lets amend the charter.

20 years have passed since we made a drastic change in the city charter.  We have moved from a prospers city to the edge of bankruptcy.  We have encouraged city employees to move to the suburbs,  We try to bring the business back downtown that we moved out during the two decades.  It is time to make changes.

Not enough stuff for them to do.

Only as a volunteer.  Not paying for someone to cut ribbons.

City Manager or Mayor.  Doesn't matter.  Came from a city with a city manager form a government.  Just as political, if not more, then the mayor form of government.

4. Council assumes duties of all authorities, boards and trusts retiring all such that now exist.
I think I like this one.

5. Council hires audit firm that reports to council with subjections on how to save money and combine city services.
I like this one too.

No way.  Nine bosses gets no work done.  Someone has to make decisions.

Already being done with light duty police employees.  Not a city charter item.  This is simply a policy issue.

Don't care.  Not a city charter issue.  This would be a contract issue.

Not sure what you mean.  Most already have this if I interpret this correctly.

The war between the states in 1860 was caused from the fallout of the industrial revolution.  Lets prepare now for the fallout of the electronic age as it brings increased unemployment eliminating jobs.   

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:32:28 pm by Wilbur » Logged
shadows
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:57:30 pm »

Not enough stuff for them to do.
( Efficiency surveys say now too many Chiefs not enough Indians)

Only as a volunteer. Not paying for someone to cut ribbons.
( from among the councilors)

City Manager or Mayor. Doesn't matter. Came from a city with a city manager form a government. Just as political, if not more, then the mayor form of government.
(existing charter “City of Tulsa as a body Politic)

No way. Nine bosses gets no work done. Someone has to make decisions.
(Article 111 Mayor  section 1.4 A through Q  “Note O after Provide” in existing charter)

Already being done with light duty police employees. Not a city charter item. This is simply a policy issue.
(Included under “O”)

Don't care. Not a city charter issue. This would be a contract issue.
(see Article X1  Fire Department in existing charter)

Not sure what you mean. Most already have this if I interpret this correctly.
( Use a format like the Davis-Bacon Act include the 16 political patrons of the mayor office)

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org