A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:09:57 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sports racism fail..  (Read 3130 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: January 20, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »

OK, not really local; maybe regional though....

http://www.ecanadanow.com/sports/2010/01/20/movement-for-whites-only-basketball-league/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »

They didn't mention the other change in the proposed new league.  They'll be playing with tiny little balls.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
brianh
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:30 pm »

I don't think this will be a big deal.  Would you say the BET channel is racist, what about the NAACP? I don't, yet it works on the same principle.  That said, I won't watch it because I like the diversity in the normal league. I don't see enough Native Americans in basketball by the way. Whats up with that?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:23:19 pm by brianh » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

I don't think this will be a big deal.  Would you say the BET channel is racist, what about the NAACP? I don't, yet it works on the same principle.  That said, I won't watch it because I like the diversity in the normal league. I don't see enough Native Americans in basketball by the way. Whats up with that?

Apples/Oranges.  Let's see

BET = Black Entertainment Television
NAACP = National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Now that's pretty cut and dry as to what those are.  Plus, they don't go around making statements like

'It's BET.  Can't watch if you're not African-American'

NAACP does have Caucasian members, if I'm not mistaken.

OTOH, the referenced article states the following:

In a throwback to the days of segregation, the league would require players to have parents that are both of full “caucasian” descent.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:35:39 pm »

This will never fly.  I think it was the mayor of Augusta who said the league is not welcome there.  Just another pathetic attention whore and a fart in history's wind.  He'll go back to commiserating with dip shits like Dennis Mahon and David Duke and brag about the whitey league he tried to start one time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org