A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:14:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 192004 times)
TeeDub
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 01:39:20 pm »

Is it me or does anyone else think she's kinda hot? Except for being full on insane.  Grin

You don't want to sleep with crazy...   The hours before sleep are great...  Just don't fall asleep.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:25 pm »

Hmm, same cavalier flaunting of health codes...

I wonder where he gets his above-the-law attitude?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/shotgun-sam-s-pizza-palace-opens-in-london-square/article_6a28f86e-74b2-584d-8422-0d82d4b19dbf.html
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »

Ken Selby worked for Shotgun Sam's?? IIRC Ken opened his first place in 1962, and the opened the first 'Ken's' in 1966 or 1967, so when did he work at Shotguns?

From the TW article:
“I got the recipes from Ken Selby (founder of Ken’s Pizza and Mazzio’s) before he passed away,” Rice said. “He had spent some time at Shotgun Sam’s.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/shotgun-sam-s-pizza-palace-opens-in-london-square/article_6a28f86e-74b2-584d-8422-0d82d4b19dbf.html

Founded in 1961 by school teacher Ken Selby, who ran his new business virtually alone and after teaching a full day as well.

Four years later in 1965 Selby made pizza his full-time job. He opened a second location, which exceeded the success of his first. Plus, the name changed to Ken's Pizza that solidly branded Selby's popular special recipe sauce and thin crust. By 1975, the links of his two starting stores steadily grew to a strong chain of over 100 company and franchise locations, inside and outside of Oklahoma.

In the late 70's. Selby conceived a new business approach. His idea called for more square footage of casual dining space, an expanded menu, thicker pizza served with much more meats and cheeses, sub sandwiches along with a salad bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazzio's

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:31:05 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:05 am »

Ex cop.

I call BS on the Ken Selby account considering the time-line DBack posted and then this:

Tulsan Doug Jones founded Shotgun Sam’s in August 1967. Tom Winslow soon joined as a partner, and the late Raymond King, who owned the buildings, later was added to the ownership group.

I’ve been friends with one of Ken’s children for years.  I’ve sent her a message, interesting to hear what she says.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2014, 09:08:31 am »

As figured, the claim about getting recipes from Ken Selby was completely bogus.  If Tom Winslow and Doug Jones are still alive, why wouldn’t you get the recipes from them instead of from someone who apparently never even worked at Shotgun Sam’s?

This guy sounds like a pathological liar. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:21 am »

As figured, the claim about getting recipes from Ken Selby was completely bogus.  If Tom Winslow and Doug Jones are still alive, why wouldn’t you get the recipes from them instead of from someone who apparently never even worked at Shotgun Sam’s?

This guy sounds like a pathological liar. 

I was thinking before you posted this, that Ken may have acquired the recipes from Shotguns, but that he worked there I knew was bogus. Just finding things strange, and the opening fiasco even stranger.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2014, 09:39:48 am »

Let’s just say, don’t be surprised if the Tulsa World is asked to print a retraction.  Someone in the Selby family is pretty pissed off right now.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »

I would think all the someones in the Selby family would be pissed.  

This guy is really.... well, just really...!!

But you know you're gonna have to try the pizza at least once.... it is said to be Shotgun Sam's!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2014, 02:55:08 pm »

I would think all the someones in the Selby family would be pissed.  

This guy is really.... well, just really...!!

But you know you're gonna have to try the pizza at least once.... it is said to be Shotgun Sam's!

That can be your class project.  Try it and report back.  I don’t care to be the guinea pig.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

That can be your class project.  Try it and report back.  I don’t care to be the guinea pig.

May have to.  Hey,...I gots to know...    (channeling Dirty Harry)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:56 pm »

May have to.  Hey,...I gots to know...    (channeling Dirty Harry)

That's Albert Popwell you're channeling.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2014, 06:33:32 pm »

That's Albert Popwell you're channeling.

Yeah...  the movie, "Dirty Harry"...I got lazy with quotes.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:04 am »

Part of Kevin Fosters online review ~ I did notice a man in jeans and a grey t-shirt that kept coming out of the kitchen, which I believe may have been the owner but if it was, he appeared to be emotionless and not in any hurry. Which is probably why I saw more people sitting, waiting, and leaving than eating.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:22 am »

Take a look at their FB page this morning.  The two most recent comments were a photo of the bottom of a Colt 45 pizza.  Burnt to a crisp and the guy didn’t want to return it because the owner was such a jackass.  Second comment was from someone who said it didn’t stack up to the original.  Just as predicted, people expect something to resemble a taste or texture memory from 30+ years ago. 

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2014, 10:00:20 am »

Pizza Place for sale soon. Probably at a cheap price.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org