A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:03:21 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 192044 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

Uh, that right there is one hell of a public health issue.  No telling how many potential customers he lost by going ballistic on THD.  What were they planning on using for hand sanitation?  Didn’t it register with anyone condensate dripping on food in the cooler is a hazard?

If they were still finishing up “construction” on what he claimed had been an on-going restaurant for 12 years and had passed inspections before, what have they been doing this whole time since they announced SSPP was going to re-open?

And one more thing, since when has London Square shopping center been in west Tulsa?  Anyone else catch that?

Might be difficult to tell where West Tulsa is when there's no water in the river.   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »

Uh, that right there is one hell of a public health issue.  No telling how many potential customers he lost by going ballistic on THD.  What were they planning on using for hand sanitation?  Didn’t it register with anyone condensate dripping on food in the cooler is a hazard?

If they were still finishing up “construction” on what he claimed had been an on-going restaurant for 12 years and had passed inspections before, what have they been doing this whole time since they announced SSPP was going to re-open?

And one more thing, since when has London Square shopping center been in west Tulsa?  Anyone else catch that?

Yeah , caught the West Tulsa comment, and just laughed. Maybe Rice was going to use the condensate dripping for employees to wash their hands as a water conservation effort.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:13:59 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:50 pm »

This guy is a clown.  Here is the real list from that article - not the misrepresentations in his rant....

""Items of significance that were found to need correcting include: no hot or cold water at hand sinks, no hot water at prep sink, ceiling of walk in cooler caving in, condensate dripping water onto food stored in walk in cooler, a lot of needed caulking/sealing/painting throughout, equipment/floor/drains dirty with construction dust (things were not clean & ready to go), and inadequate lighting/unshielded light throughout. THD was unable to issue a license due to the results of the inspection. ""

And I also bet the health department will be more reasonable with him on re-inspection that he has been with them.

I'm cynical enough to believe that just because it is in the inspector's report doesn't make it true.  However, in this case, the owner's over the top response does not give him any credibility.  This is a place I will not bother to try in its to be short-lived life.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »

Wonder how he feels about insurance for his business, and would love to be there the first time he get's Smooted.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

I'm cynical enough to believe that just because it is in the inspector's report doesn't make it true.  However, in this case, the owner's over the top response does not give him any credibility.  This is a place I will not bother to try in its to be short-lived life.

Now that we're talking about pizza places, I'm trying to remember the name of the pizza place that is the now defunct Vegas Club at 9100 E Admiral (now pretty much ground zero for the Admiral Flea Market).  I remember it being one when I lived there in the late seventies/early eighties:

http://goo.gl/nT7tqW

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 01:28:59 pm »

Now that we're talking about pizza places, I'm trying to remember the name of the pizza place that is the now defunct Vegas Club at 9100 E Admiral (now pretty much ground zero for the Admiral Flea Market).  I remember it being one when I lived there in the late seventies/early eighties:

Shakey's IIRC. The sign is the give away. Just like Best Hardware on Peoria.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:12 pm »

There was a Shakey’s on Admiral, not sure how far east.  

Edit: according to Batesline Shakey’s was at 9124 E. Admiral
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:31:53 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »

There was a Shakey’s on Admiral, not sure how far east.  

Edit: according to Batesline Shakey’s was at 9124 E. Admiral

That would be it.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »

Wonder how he feels about insurance for his business, and would love to be there the first time he get's Smooted.

Ha! my thought exactly. I believe this is the place where he and his boy's busted for making their own beer on the premises.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 01:39:19 pm »

Any idea of the location of the first sign you posted?  Looks like more recent years based on the cars.  If I ever travel near one, I will have to give it a try for nostalgia’s sake.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »

Mr. Carlson before his days at WKRP........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJmufzgzRoA#t=28

The one on Admiral was one of their big stores, that had the Dixieland band, and the player piano/calliope machine.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:47:22 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »

Any idea of the location of the first sign you posted?  Looks like more recent years based on the cars.  If I ever travel near one, I will have to give it a try for nostalgia’s sake.

I found it doing a Google on "old shakey's pizza sign". From the guys web site it was taken in Los Angeles in 2007. The last time I saw one was in 2002 near Newport Beach Irvine area.

http://peterhirschberg.com/toys/shakeys/la_trip_2007/
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

This is the one that I saw.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shakey's+Pizza+Parlor/@33.728294,-117.905927,3a,75y,292.28h,94.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSdON8nG0yobH5szK6LajzQ!2e0!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sShakey's+Pizza+Irvine,+CA!3m1!1s0x0:0x2ffa22fa64331a81!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »

Interesting where these threads lead.  Was anyone aware of an American Banjo Museum in Oklahoma City?  I’ve never heard of it.  Also, does anyone remember if Shakey’s was where you could order green grog?  It was a Mountain Dew like soda, but with a deeper green hue.

Here’s their Wiki:

Shakey's Pizza is a pizza restaurant chain based in the United States. The chain currently has about 500 stores globally, and about 60 in the United States.

History

Shakey's Pizza was founded in Sacramento, California, on April 30, 1954, by Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson and Ed Plummer. Johnson's nickname resulted from nerve damage following a bout of malaria suffered during World War II. The parlor opened on the first weekend, but since the pizza ovens were not yet completed,[1] only beer was served and Shakey took the profits from beer sales and bought ingredients for pizza the following Monday.

Shakey personally played dixieland jazz piano to entertain patrons. Shakey's initially became known outside Sacramento, not for its pizza, but for the jazz program it sponsored on a regional radio network. Shakey Johnson is honored in the American Banjo Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for his longtime use of banjo music at his pizza parlors. Other live music, including piano, was also a staple in the old Shakey's parlors.

The original store (a remodeled grocery store)[1] at 57th and J Streets in Sacramento remained in business until the mid-1990s.

Expansion

The second Shakey's Pizza Parlor opened in Beaverton, Oregon, in 1956. Shakey's opened their third parlor in Albany, Oregon, in 1959, which was the first building Shakey's actually owned and the first building to be built in the distinct building style for which Shakey's is known. It now operates as a used bookstore. According to Johnson, Shakey's Pizza engaged in little market research and made most of its decisions on where to locate stores by going where Kinney Shoes opened stores. By the time Johnson sold his interest in 1967, there were 272 Shakey's Pizza Parlors in the United States. The first international store opened in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, in 1968. By 1975, the company had expanded to the Pacific Rim, including Japan and the Philippines. There are now more branches in the Philippines (then under San Miguel Corporation) than in the United States.

Sale to Colorado Milling

Shakey Johnson sold his half of the company for $3 million to Colorado Milling and Elevator in 1967, which acquired Plummer's half for $9 million the next year.

Second sale

Shakey's was again sold, this time to Hunt International Resources in 1974. Two franchisees bought the chain in 1984 and they sold out to Inno-Pacific Holdings of Singapore in 1989. Most of the U. S. stores closed during the time Inno-Pacific owned the chain. Some of the remaining franchisees took Inno-Pacific to court in 2003.

Before this could come to trial, Shakey's was sold to Jacmar Companies of Alhambra, California, in 2004. Jacmar had been the franchisee of 19 Shakey's restaurants.

At the time Hunt International bought Shakey's in 1974, the restaurant chain had approximately 500 stores throughout the United States, including a store as far east as Cockeysville, Maryland.

As of November 1, 2013, there are 59 Shakey's Pizza restaurants in the U.S. 50 U.S. locations are in California (all but one in Southern California), and the remainder are located in Auburn, Alabama; Homestead, Florida; Waipahu, Hawaii; Renton, Washington; Pasco, Washington; and Spokane, Washington.[2] There are three locations in Mexico.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org