A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 05:47:01 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lasted 97 years but gone now  (Read 2273 times)
waterboy
« on: July 23, 2006, 04:54:11 pm »

I don't understand this city any more. We whine about losing the Skelly building, yell at developers for even thinking about encroaching on a neighborhood at 15th & Utica and argue about the loss of historical buildings of dubious design like Abundant Life.

But a real piece of history? Firestation #2 built in 1909 when horse drawn firewagons were the technology of the day...is gone. And recently. I drove by it within the last six months and made mental note to check out the building's history. Engraved in limestone across the front was Station #2. The building looked to be occupied though overgrown with shrubbery and not crumbling. I was surprised to find it still standing across from the Salvation Army building north of Cain's.

Where was the media coverage? No historical accounts and photos from Beryl Ford? Just tear it down because its in a bad part of town? And who did it and why? Is there really a questioning media in this town or just press release vehicles?

Shame on you Tulsa. And those of you espousing passion for saving our history, and architecture should explain why no one championed its existence. Because its not in an historical mid-town neighorhood?

I am sure someone will say it was dangerously decrepit and unsafe or unworthy. Whatever. I am disgusted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org