A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:58:30 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God's Quarterback  (Read 55846 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

The greater bulk of scorn for Christians seems to come from the left, wouldn't you agree?  I've often wondered if that would have been amplified near as much if the GOP hadn't gotten so tight with the "Moral Majority" back in the 1980's.

They'd be more tolerable.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »

They'd be more tolerable.

Which ones?  The Evangelicals or Republicans?

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:04 pm »

The greater bulk of scorn for Christians seems to come from the left educated, wouldn't you agree?  I've often wondered if that would have been amplified near as much if the GOP hadn't gotten so tight with the "Moral Majority" back in the 1980's.

Personally, I enjoy being a part of the a-moral minority.

In 10 years, you'll recall how church's were prosperous at one time.... Roll Eyes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06H4m4ETwE8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzflash.com%2F&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Was this guy attacking the concept of a greater society or inserting his values into our way of government?

What are the three things? Work, graduate high school, and get married (to someone who produces babies). This is why progress remains too slow. Stable families, yes. Promote work, yes. Every child should learn 2 skills. Why is this not what's happening? The GOP has been in power over the years of society breakdown of education and family. They are as much to blame if not more than the dims.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:29:40 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

The greater bulk of scorn for Christians seems to come from the left, wouldn't you agree?  I've often wondered if that would have been amplified near as much if the GOP hadn't gotten so tight with the "Moral Majority" back in the 1980's.

I don't know if I agree. Can't say I've read anything that clearly documented it anyway. More likely its a sliding scale thing. If you're evangelical, fundamental, non-separation of church/state, kind of Christian? Well, yeah, we all have scorn for them. If its just a conservative Christian thing? Nah.

Likely any attacks from the left are focused on their unholy alliance with politics.

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »

The greater bulk of scorn for Christians seems to come from the left, wouldn't you agree?

If you replace "Christians" with "hypocritical evangelists," I would. What I find infuriating is that they claim they're being attacked when all the vast majority of their detractors are looking for is a stop to the special treatment they get as a result of being such a large proportion of the population.

"I just built this $47 million worship center, but that guy calling it ostentatious is persecuting me because of my religion!"

or

"I'm being persecuted because the courts won't let the schools teach my creation myth as science!"

or

"I'm being persecuted because the courts won't let us discriminate against the ghey any more!"

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2012, 06:24:43 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gAIQWzW1MIc#![/youtube]

As a bit of history, St. Elmo's Fire was the last movie I saw before I left for basic training (saw on a Friday, left on Monday).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:32:28 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »

Most famous white Bronco since OJ.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »

Most famous white Bronco since OJ.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:42 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tim-tebow-game-winning-touchdown-illegal-163812959.html

it heps to have god on your side....
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

Did you even bother reading the update to your own link? You really do suck sometimes.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Did you even bother reading the update to your own link? You really do suck sometimes.

Yeah, well Greg Aiello probably thinks God's on his side too....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2012, 06:59:32 pm »

I just took the first thread that showed up for this - it is absolutely hilarious!!

Warren Buffet is putting his money where his mouth is - especially as relates to Mitch McConnell... geez, I love it!

In fact, I will also participate in my own way at a scale I can afford.  I will pitch in $1 for each Congressman, President, and Supreme Court justice who participates in this challenge.  That could be well over $500!!  But I bet double or nothing (possibly over $1100!!!)  that I won't have to put up more than 15 or 20 bucks, at most!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-gop-pay-211046623.html

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:21 am »

I just took the first thread that showed up for this - it is absolutely hilarious!!

Warren Buffet is putting his money where his mouth is - especially as relates to Mitch McConnell... geez, I love it!

In fact, I will also participate in my own way at a scale I can afford.  I will pitch in $1 for each Congressman, President, and Supreme Court justice who participates in this challenge.  That could be well over $500!!  But I bet double or nothing (possibly over $1100!!!)  that I won't have to put up more than 15 or 20 bucks, at most!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-gop-pay-211046623.html

I think you stumbled into the wrong topic, Heir.

Back on topic:

"FORT MYERS -
Sunday night's Bronco-Steelers' game had quite the effect on the web. Many people were left to wonder whether the number of Tim Tebow's total passing yards was just a coincidence, or if it was divine intervention.

Tebow threw for 316 yards, averaged 31.6 yards per completion and when the touchdown pass was thrown, the national TV rating peaked at 31.6.

"I don't know if it is necessarily an act of God, but I don't think anything happens by accident either," said Next Level Church Pastor Matt Keller.

The Bible verse John 3:16 is no stranger to Keller. But as far Google searches go, the verse has never done as well as it did after the big game.

Monday, "John 3:16" was the number one Google search.

"I think it's great that Tim Tebow has captured the imagination of the next generation," Keller said.

Twitter reported there was an average of 9,420 tweets per second after Tebow's 80-yard touchdown pass in overtime.

That number crushes the royal wedding and Osama bin Laden's death.

And while the "Tebow Effect" holds some interesting numbers, not everyone is sold.

The phone lines at the Miller and Moulton Show on Sports Radio 770 were tied up with Tebow talk Monday.

Moulton says he isn't sold that Tebow's acts are divine, but that could change.

"It's a coincidence and it's funny," said Moulton. "If they beat New England in New England, a team that's already beaten them soundly, then I think you are going to have some believers.""

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/16482529/2012/01/09/tim-tebow-win-coincidence-or-divine-intervention

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:58 am »

I think you stumbled into the wrong topic, Heir.

Yep, that's what I said...just took the first unread one (only unread one) that popped up.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2012, 10:32:35 am »

Yep, that's what I said...just took the first unread one (only unread one) that popped up.

Might be why some of your posts get deleted.  Do you not know how to start a new topic?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org