A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:25:33 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God's Quarterback  (Read 55846 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:29 am »

So, at what point does it become a child?  That is the crux of it all.  Otherwise we could really go down the rabbit hole (not to mention the catholic bend on it) and say that your wrong for using any kind of birth control because you are preventing a conception.  Then you can take it even further and say anytime you abstain from intercourse you are preventing the possibility of a child coming into the world.  Yes, that goes to the extreme, but my point is, how do you decide when it stops being cells and actually becomes a child.

Just another argument to throw into the fire, what is everyone's thoughts on filing double homicide charges when someone kills a pregnant woman?

Not sure how they are today, but many years ago, Catholic family members said that birth control was not "allowed" just for that reason - you could prevent a conception.  They sneaked around and used it anyway.

The courts have pretty much defined when a fetus becomes a baby - some number of months in trimesters.  Can't remember that point.  That is pretty much the whole crux of the matter.  I am pretty well convinced that when the fertilized egg has reached 8 or 16 cells, it is not yet a baby.  When that happens - when a soul is "installed" - who knows?  Heart beat - doesn't have to mean there is brain activity.  Brain activity?  Yeah, I feel there is definitely a baby there.  Somewhere between the two?  Absolutely possible/probable/likely/maybe!!??

Nephew was born just a little over two months early - weighed maybe 2.5 to 3 lbs - he definitely came out as a baby.  Very big boy now - 30 something, 6' 4", couple hundred pounds.

At 4 weeks gestation he was not.

So, the question is, was he just hanging around the Guf for a few weeks/months, or what?  Or was there a "spontaneous combustion" event that happened?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »

Monty Python wrote a song about it.  Wanna hear it?  Here it goes...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc--BPM11s0[/youtube]
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2011, 02:37:32 pm »

That verse has been taken out of context many times before. It applies more to those who pray because they want attention, not because they are sincerely thanking God.

Nice catch.  The original translation from hebrew was "The Pretenders" not the hypocrites.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

So, at what point does it become a child?  That is the crux of it all.  Otherwise we could really go down the rabbit hole (not to mention the catholic bend on it) and say that your wrong for using any kind of birth control because you are preventing a conception.  Then you can take it even further and say anytime you abstain from intercourse you are preventing the possibility of a child coming into the world.  Yes, that goes to the extreme, but my point is, how do you decide when it stops being cells and actually becomes a child.

Just another argument to throw into the fire, what is everyone's thoughts on filing double homicide charges when someone kills a pregnant woman?

When does life begin?

When the kids move out and the dog dies.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »

Wait a minute. There's some of my better posts missing!
Like when ZYX posted last night: "My little brother did not breathe for seven minutes after he was born. You're saying it would have been okay to kill him?

Babies recognize the speech patterns of their mothers and fathers before they are born. How can a non living thing do that?"

And I wrote something clever like:" Glad he caught his breath or he'd be dead."

I also posted some unsportsmanlike conduct of Timmy when he played OU....

And it was removed. All I was trying to do was draw a distinction between a political issue and a moral dilemma.

So, keep an eye on what you post in late night. Mods get up early and should lighten up. Censorship? Really?

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »

When does life begin?

Life changes when kids move out and the dog dies but it don't begin there....

Hey, you shouldn't be askin them type questions. Personally, life begins when when they snip off your foreskin ( for me at least).

Let's argue on that level.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 04:19:29 pm »

Oh, my comment regarding Obummer not allowing the "morning after" pill to be available and what an idiot decision that was also got taken down.

Sheesh, it's easier for local businessmen to get hillbilly heroin than it is for a sexually active woman to get a "morning after" pill....but they will have a black market for those now too.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »

Life changes when kids move out and the dog dies but it don't begin there....

Hey, you shouldn't be askin them type questions. Personally, life begins when when they snip off your foreskin ( for me at least).

Let's argue on that level.

Old joke actually:

A Catholic priest, Jewish rabbi, and a Vedic shaman are discussing the ultimate question of when life begins. 

The priest leads off by saying, with great joy: "Life begins when the two cells are joined and God's great miracle is created!"

The rabbi says: "No! Life begins when they pull the baby from the mother, they spank his bottom and he takes his first breath!"

The shaman, startled from meditation says: "When does life begin? When the kids move out and the dog dies!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2011, 04:40:31 pm »

Hey, I've known a Shaman....while it rhymes with Conan, you're not one. But good job showing where you get your stuff from you joker.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »

Oh, my comment regarding Obummer not allowing the "morning after" pill to be available and what an idiot decision that was also got taken down.

Actually, it was a decision he made at the urging of physicians and the AMA.  The drug ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel causes the natural minstrel cycle to basically take place all at once.  In many cases this results in excessive but manageable bleeding.  In a small but significant number of cases this results in severe hemorrhage that requires medical attention.

If you give a teen girl the ability to go buy this to thwart what she sees as a potentially embarrassing situation, and she does not seek medical care immediately when faced with excessive hemorrhage, she will die.  If taken further along in pregnancy, the result is even worse without proper D&C.

As liberal as Obama is, he is not stupid, and he is not willing to allow big pharma to push him into a situation that will likely result in the death of young girls.  This was not a political decision, it was a logical one, and that's probably why it's not big news.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

The drug ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel causes the natural minstrel cycle to basically take place all at once. 

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:48 pm »

Nice catch.  The original translation from hebrew was "The Pretenders" not the hypocrites.
The ancient Hebrew language was a lot smaller then English, and many words were used for multiple purposes, so it's often a matter of how the person translating would take a particular word to mean.  So when it comes down to it, it is really nothing more than semantics.  Still, I couldn't get this set of verses to mean that showboating with prayer is okay.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

When does life begin?

But when do they ever move out?Huh?  I gotta know...throw me a line here, I'm drowning!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:28 pm »

But when do they ever move out?Huh?  I gotta know...throw me a line here, I'm drowning!!

my plan is when the youngest turns eighteen I'm going to pay for them to go out to the movies.  I will not be leaving a forwarding address...
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2011, 05:36:10 pm »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/google/tebow-haircut

what a goof ball....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org