A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:39:37 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City Council to add Three Men and a Baby?  (Read 2544 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: October 05, 2010, 08:35:29 am »

A new group of "connected" people are wanting to add 3 at-large city councilors to the council, as well as make the Mayor the chairman of the council, but only have rights to vote in case of a tie.

Is this another "back of a napkin" idea or does it have merit?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20101005_11_A1_CUTLIN956999
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:41:57 am »

Simply on face value: FAIL!

My guess it was written on the back of a cocktail napkin since it's acronym is SOT.  I don't see how this changes the acrimony, it simply adds three more antagonists to the mayor to the council and enjoins the mayor to the council.  Sort of like throwing a black prisoner into a cell of 12 Aryan Brothers instead of nine.  Councilor Westcott said this makes the mayor even stronger and doesn't solve the acrimony.  He said that's a personality clash issue anyhow, not a problem with the charter.  I tend to agree.

There's nothing about the proposal I like other than elections being non-partisan, even still I don't see that affecting our races very much.  D or R doesn't seem to really make much of a difference when it comes to voting for mayor or council.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:24 am »

Simply on face value: FAIL!

My guess it was written on the back of a cocktail napkin since it's acronym is SOT.  I don't see how this changes the acrimony, it simply adds three more antagonists to the mayor to the council and enjoins the mayor to the council.  Sort of like throwing a black prisoner into a cell of 12 Aryan Brothers instead of nine.  Councilor Westcott said this makes the mayor even stronger and doesn't solve the acrimony.  He said that's a personality clash issue anyhow, not a problem with the charter.  I tend to agree.

There's nothing about the proposal I like other than elections being non-partisan, even still I don't see that affecting our races very much.  D or R doesn't seem to really make much of a difference when it comes to voting for mayor or council.

Get those people in the same room too often and I wonder how long before Dewey starts asking what that 'burning smell' is.  Whose cell phone will go up in flames first?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:57:04 am »

Get those people in the same room too often and I wonder how long before Dewey starts asking what that 'burning smell' is.  Whose cell phone will go up in flames first?

That burning smell might be why Councilor Trail is wanting drug testing for elected officials.  FOTD did make some accusations along those lines about Candidate Bartlet (sic).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:20:04 pm »

I think eliminating partisan identification and adding two at-large council members would probably improve city governance a little, but would not be a cure to the acrimony that has flared up during the last three mayoral administrations.  If at-large positions were adopted, I also don't think it should be by adding more councilors.  I would prefer to see the current number stay the same and the distrcts redrawn to create two at-large spots.  Of course, the problem with at-large districts is they could draw the scrutiny of the Dept. of Justice under various voting rights acts (at-large districts tend to dilute minority votes, etc.) and lead to lengthy and expensive litigation.

Whatever the merits, I also think this group is making the same mistake as the Islands in the Stream folks did with the river.  No public input has been solicited or gathered (other than within this heretofore unknown group) and thus, no ground work laid for public support. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org