A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 02:19:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Day of Support for...  (Read 73347 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »

Gas citing Jon Stewart as a conservative voice of reason.  Didnt see that coming.

Perhaps they are seeing Stewart as the new fair and balanced.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »

I think many people have a problem with the term “marriage” being applied to it.  Some people think much of the hullabaloo would go away if gay rights advocates would settle for “civil union”.  Or not.  Part of that is ignorance or fear that eventually churches could be forced to perform gay marriage. 

Fundamentalists seem to be of the mistaken impression that Christianity has a monopoly on the term “marriage".  Never mind that the term and concept has been used in society long before the New Testament was written.  There’s also historical evidence that same sex marriage was accepted and recognized in some ancient societies.

Not sure how the church's could be forced to do it...seems a stretch.  I guess I could get a minister's license and perform the marriages for them....

True.  Another hijacking just like the Southern Baptist Convention getting hijacked....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2012, 12:14:19 pm »

Not sure how the church's could be forced to do it...seems a stretch.  I guess I could get a minister's license and perform the marriages for them....

True.  Another hijacking just like the Southern Baptist Convention getting hijacked....

That’s the point, they can’t be forced to do it.  That church & state thingy is a cornerstone of the Constitution.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »

Conan, discrimination is no less bigoted because it is done without malice or out of ignorance. I try not to say that people are racist or bigoted because I can't know what's going through their head. It's not important anyway. The problem is the racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise bigoted things people say and do.

I'm not sure who has actually said that any particular opposition to Obama is racist. I have heard people speculate that the aggressively defiant way in which some birthers, Tea Partyists, and others act, even when Obama is pushing policies they previously agreed with is due in part to racism. I don't doubt that there is some of that, but I doubt that is a majority of the opposition, merely a significant minority.

Like it or not, there is still a lot of latent racism in this country.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

Gas citing Jon Stewart as a conservative voice of reason.  Didnt see that coming.

Reason is reason.  It has no political affiliation or philosophical angle.

True, most of the time it comes from conservatives, but not always!  Wink

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

That would be a noble statement, Gaspar, if you didn't conflate reason and your opinion. It's reason if you agree and drivel if you don't.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »

Regarding Chick-Fil-A specifically, I'm pretty sure the mayors in question also have the right to express an opinion on Dan Cathy's views. Funny how Dan gets to say whatever he likes and any consequences are somehow unfair and the result of intolerance, but people can't express an opinion on what he said.

They do Nate, but when they pledge to block his business from acquiring permits, that goes beyond expression.  In fact, it is illegal.  Not just a little illegal, but a lot.

It has also set the stage for discrimination lawsuits.  If Chic-fil-a wants to open a new store in Chicago (two planned), Boston, other locations, and they are denied for any reason, you can be assured this will end up in court and because the stupid stupid stupid mayors, council members, and aldermen, have publicly made these comments.  Chic-fil-a will win.  In fact, they can and probably will launch a series of discrimination lawsuits just to protect themselves.

It's a freekin mess, and Chic-fil-a has come out a winner because of stupid stupid stupid politicians.  

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2012, 12:56:14 pm »

Reason is reason.  It has no political affiliation or philosophical angle.

True, most of the time it comes from conservatives, but not always!  Wink

"Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts." ~ Dan Quayle
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »

"Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts." ~ Dan Quayle

Cheesy Yeah, that would fall into the "not always" category.

You're going to have a lot of fun with this aren't you?  Wink

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »

Cheesy Yeah, that would fall into the "not always" category.

You're going to have a lot of fun with this aren't you?  Wink

There's not much of a point.  We have daily reminders on every type of press.

I could give equal time for the other side as well.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »

Conan, discrimination is no less bigoted because it is done without malice or out of ignorance. I try not to say that people are racist or bigoted because I can't know what's going through their head. It's not important anyway. The problem is the racist, sexist, homophobic, and otherwise bigoted things people say and do.

I'm not sure who has actually said that any particular opposition to Obama is racist. I have heard people speculate that the aggressively defiant way in which some birthers, Tea Partyists, and others act, even when Obama is pushing policies they previously agreed with is due in part to racism. I don't doubt that there is some of that, but I doubt that is a majority of the opposition, merely a significant minority.

Like it or not, there is still a lot of latent racism in this country.

Upholding spiritual or religious tradition within one’s own home or church isn’t discrimination, IMO.  I don’t view the Catholic Church refusing to change 2000 years of tradition and doctrine as discrimination. 

You and I will have to disagree on that point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »

Upholding spiritual or religious tradition within one’s own home or church isn’t discrimination, IMO.  I don’t view the Catholic Church refusing to change 2000 years of tradition and doctrine as discrimination. 

You and I will have to disagree on that point.

What about the catholic churches that have changed?  If enough of the catholic churches change, will the remainder be considered discriminatory?

(female priests for example)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »

What about the catholic churches that have changed?  If enough of the catholic churches change, will the remainder be considered discriminatory?

(female priests for example)

You bring up a valid issue.  At what point does observing religious tradition become discriminatory?  Whew, that could be a real barn-burner.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2012, 01:11:20 pm »

Artist. Just as a general question. Are you going to be participating in todays protest?
My wifes boss is gay and she said he wouldn't waste his time going.

I also did not participate Wednesday in their appreciation day because I really don't like Chick-Fil-A.
Give me the good old Rex's boneless chicken any day.

No, not participating.  That's not quite my style.  There is a place for different types of protesting and such, and kudos to the people who have that kind of spunk.  My style is more, being a good person in general and then people finding out that I and my partner are gay and realizing... perhaps all those prejudices aren't true.  And of course on occasion if the opportunity is there and all, like on here, I will say a paragraph or two lol.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »

What does one's home or church have to do with government recognition of gay marriage, Conan? Or the chickfila thing, for that matter?

Gaspar, prove two things. First, that any mayor stated that he or she would prevent chickfila from opening a store (as opposed to expressing disapproval). Second, prove that a mayor who said such a thing actually has the power to effect their threat. If you can't, it's just a bunch of noise, just like all the other noise we hear from politicians.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org