A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:54:15 am
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) One Place Tower  (Read 251792 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:45 pm »

On par, I still think that downtown Tulsa is developing more organically than OKC or Dallas or some other places.  We still have a variety of small projects and locally owned bars and restaurants popping up and not as many big developments.  One Place seems to be the only real full block development.  I wouldn't mind seeing a few others pop up, but hopefully the small independent places continue to be the main force in downtown revitalization.

That’s one thing I like about Tulsa’s downtown redevelopment is it doesn’t hinge on a drecky and contrived district like KC P&L.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »

My wife just got back from Chicago, and she mentioned that on Michigan Ave there were several buildings that had what amounted to a scaled down mall on the first several floors of a few buildings. For example, you would walk in what looked like the main entrance to a building and there would be a couple of anchor type stores (department store types) that also had entrances directly to the street and then upstairs there would be a half dozen or so stores on each floor. Of course above all of that would be an office building/condo/hotel or something. So it wasn't just a downtown mall concept. Mixed-Use.

As I recall, a lot of buildings on Michigan Ave. have what is essentially a mall on the first few floors.  As I also recall, many of these malls all start looking alike as most of them have the same basic chain retail stores.  Of course, since it is in the center of a city with millions of residents and millions more travel from all over to stay and shop on Michigan Ave., it works.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Hyatt was part of the Williams tower development and its still going.  It seems that the only part that didn't work out was the forum shopping area.  I think that if the forum was still a retail center it would not only be able to survive but would thrive amongst the new wave of downtown development.  It sure would be nice if they could repurpose it for what it was originally.  But I'm sure its too far gone to go back, and there will be plenty of retail downtown if the current development continues, and hopefully accellerates if the economy can ever get back to what it was.

I remember traveling from Missouri to Tulsa as a kid and going to the Forum.  We thought it was so cool to have a multi-story mall with an ice skating rink in the middle of all those tall buildings.  Of course, we also ate at Casa Bonita on these trips, so maybe we were easily impressed.  Nonetheless, by the second trip, even as a kid I thought it odd that we were traveling to an otherwise quiet downtown (on a weekend) to shop at a mall that, except for the ice rink, had pretty much the same stuff as our mall in Missouri.

Utica Square survived and thrives because it was always distinguishable from the suburban malls like Woodland Hills.  Now, the trend is away from suburban style malls and towards centers like Utica Square.  Like Utica Sq., however, downtown retail has to distinguish itself from the malls or new lifestyle centers, etc. and offer unique stores to pull in shoppers from the outer areas especially until sufficient numbers of residents live downtown to sustain the stores.  The old Forum concept was based on a model that is going the way of the dinosaur.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Hyatt was part of the Williams tower development and its still going.  It seems that the only part that didn't work out was the forum shopping area.  I think that if the forum was still a retail center it would not only be able to survive but would thrive amongst the new wave of downtown development.

The Hyatt was part of the "Williams Center" development. Williams owned a real estate arm back then that was responsible for the BOK Tower/Williams Center, the PAC, the Williams Green, the Hyatt and the black Williams Center 1/2 buildings on second street. 

We sold those off year ago and just own the Tower/Williams center now.

It sure would be nice if they could repurpose it for what it was originally.  But I'm sure its too far gone to go back, and there will be plenty of retail downtown if the current development continues, and hopefully accellerates if the economy can ever get back to what it was.

Yeah I don't think we could very easily convert it back to retail.  For one thing, all of that space is offices now, and it's almost totally full.  In fact, we're in the process of a major renovation/upgrade of the offices in the Resource Center (the old mall/ice skating rink).
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »

Yeah I don't think we could very easily convert it back to retail.  For one thing, all of that space is offices now, and it's almost totally full.  In fact, we're in the process of a major renovation/upgrade of the offices in the Resource Center (the old mall/ice skating rink).

I believe that's why skyscrapers were invented. Wink

Not that a shopping-mall-type development is what we need downtown right now. Would be nice to have the skating rink back, though. I'm always game for further ruining my ankle.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #380 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:28 am »

I believe that's why skyscrapers were invented. Wink

Not that a shopping-mall-type development is what we need downtown right now. Would be nice to have the skating rink back, though. I'm always game for further ruining my ankle.

Personally I think a plaza open air urban style shopping area would enhance downtown and make it a regional draw. There is certainly room for it.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #381 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:54 am »

Personally I think a plaza open air urban style shopping area would enhance downtown and make it a regional draw. There is certainly room for it.

Seems to be working alright in Denver.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #382 on: July 13, 2012, 11:23:01 am »

The Cathedral Square idea anyone?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #383 on: July 13, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »

i just noticed that the exterior is being added on the north side of the building.
http://oxblue.com/open/oneplacetower

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »

The Cathedral Square idea anyone?

Yes please.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #385 on: July 13, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »

I would like to see a large year round indoor/outdoor farmers market
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:03 am »

Is the Cimarex tower at it's final height?
It appears it is, unless they'll be switching to steel.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2012, 11:42:06 am »

Is the Cimarex tower at it's final height?
It appears it is, unless they'll be switching to steel.

I'm not good at this but per the camera shot I can see, it looks like they're adding more height.

http://oxblue.com/open/oneplacetower
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »

Looks like they have about 4 more floors to go to me.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #389 on: August 15, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »

Looks like they have about 4 more floors to go to me.

Looks like they're at 15 with 3 more to go assuming it's still set at 18.

It can now barely be seen coming down 75 from Owasso  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org