A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:51:55 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed re-use of Roosevelt School  (Read 22774 times)
JeffM
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:17:56 pm »

rdj..... wish you were there!  Okay, so I lied and went to the meeting.  My blood pressure was getting higher throughout the day today at work, so I skipped TOC rehearsal (I can't concentrate on Bach when my neighborhood's at stake!)..... Great crowd of well over a hundred, filled Owen Park Baptist Church (including the likes of Maria Barnes and Blake Ewing)...... a few were from Brady and Crosbie Heights.....

to be fair, I was very, very impressed with Liz Hunt at my first neighborhood association meeting last month... great neighborhood advocate, only weakness IMHO was relying on those magic words "public/private partnership" a few too many times...  and I was starting to get irritable after spending the entire meeting seated in between these two guys....

BUT TONIGHT, WE, THE PEOPLE OF OWEN PARK, sent two quasi "concerned citizens" -- the talk radio guy from KCFO who said Roosevelt, a facility right next door to a beautiful public park, was "perfect" for a Juvenile Detention Center; and his lackey, a former state rep from Broken Arrow who now works for the county -- out of our neighborhood with their tails between their legs.  As much as I'd love to give you a play-by-play, I'm celebrating our little hood's victory with massive quantities of beer... Mr. Ewing bided his time and struck the perfect tone... and yours truly, as a former opera singer, was struck by all the drama and Blake was right there, waiting for his cue with perfect political timing, after observing the collective groans and general disgust..... huzzah!!!

I need another beer!   Grin

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:25:55 pm by JeffM » Logged

Bring back the Tulsa Roughnecks!.... JeffM is now TulsaRufnex....  http://www.tulsaroughnecks.com
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 12:56:33 am »

I spoke to an insider with the school district and she said that the school board really likes the idea of Roosevelt becoming a charter performing arts school.

Power is nothing till you use it.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 02:59:42 am »

I spoke to an insider with the school district and she said that the school board really likes the idea of Roosevelt becoming a charter performing arts school.

Did the insider whisper that in your ear before bed?

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:30 am »

That is the best news I have heard in a long time.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 07:33:37 am »

I really hope that comes to fruition.  It's the perfect location for it and I'd rather see the Juvy Center on the Storey property.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 07:39:53 am »

Man, I hope you're talking about Anna.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:26 am »

Blake, can I send my dry cleaning bill to you?  I just spit my coffee out all over my shirt and pants.  Luckily my keyboard was spared.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:12 am »

Being a resident of Reservoir Hill I'm very interested in what happens over there with the school.  I'm voiced my opinion here that I don't like the center being on the Storey Wrecker site but the Roosevelt site is abhorrent.  If the intent was to get the community to sign off on the better of two bad locations then I guess mission accomplished.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:49 am »

Being a resident of Reservoir Hill I'm very interested in what happens over there with the school.  I'm voiced my opinion here that I don't like the center being on the Storey Wrecker site but the Roosevelt site is abhorrent.  If the intent was to get the community to sign off on the better of two bad locations then I guess mission accomplished.

Ahh propose a bigger pile to make the original pile look more like only a fartburger.

I think we beat that whole Storey Wrecker site discussion into the ground.  I still think being across from the DL Moss and near social services makes more sense.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Truman
Citizen

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »

Ahh propose a bigger pile to make the original pile look more like only a fartburger.

I think we beat that whole Storey Wrecker site discussion into the ground.  I still think being across from the DL Moss and near social services makes more sense.

Before you start celebrating "Storey" I have three little words for you.

DEQ

Let me know how that turns out.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:36 pm »

Maybe that's why they're making a push for Roosevelt.?

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »

Before you start celebrating "Storey" I have three little words for you.

DEQ

Let me know how that turns out.

That's a three-letter acronym Wink

DEQ issues with oil seepage, heavy metals, or other things which might have leeched into the soil on the property over the years will be easier for a government entity to deal with it than a private one.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »

DEQ issues with oil seepage, heavy metals, or other things which might have leeched into the soil on the property over the years will be easier for a government entity to deal with it than a private one.

by easier you mean, easier to fund by using taxpayer monies?

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 03:50:58 pm »

Conan is right. The DEQ is likely to be a free consultant helping another government deal with environmental issues more than they would a private developer.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 08:35:41 pm »

Where is the old storey site?  Usually I'm up on that sort of thing.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org