A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:42:33 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iraq Reverts  (Read 128786 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

See edited post above...

Point noted.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2014, 09:29:43 pm »

No, he damaged this country quite enough. We don't need his "help". I don't think we could take it. Worst President of All Time.

This will REALLY hurt the ol' backside.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans view each of the four former living presidents more positively than negatively, while giving Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush higher favorable ratings than George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter. Current President Barack Obama has a net-negative favorable rating.

Americans' Favorable Ratings of Living U.S. Presidents

The younger Bush's current favorable rating is likely lower than other former presidents' ratings because his term, marked by job approval ratings well below 40% during his final two years in office, is the freshest in Americans' minds.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/171794/clinton-elder-bush-positively-rated-living-presidents.aspx

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 09:54:36 pm »

A task force to address this serious problem.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/20/1308404/-POTUS-Acts-to-Save-Honey-Bees-Launches-Pollinator-Health-Task-Force#

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »

The more I look at this mess, the more inclined I am to support full military intervention. ISIS is threatening America without equivocation. And we cannot risk another 9/11.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »

The more I look at this mess, the more inclined I am to support full military intervention. ISIS is threatening America without equivocation. And we cannot risk another 9/11.

Is ISIS really interested in bringing terror to our shores again or simply over-running Iraq?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:59:22 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »

Then the country shoulda paid attention to me back in 2003!!  Can't have it both ways - going round the world to satisfy some spoiled little a$$wipe whims - and not expect serious repercussions!!

Now, we are seeing the repercussions!  And I still say this is just one little piece of the big puzzle - other pieces we have seen lately are Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria.  US helping the Al Qaeda and Taliban types stitch together a large enough "critical mass" where they actually can cause us real issues!!  The full picture is to bring on "Armageddon".  Not the real one the Bible talks about, but the one that misguided zealots on the radical Christian side are trying to "force" God's hand with.  There would be repercussions to "tweaking" God, too!   If one believes in the Bible....since it does say no man knows the time, but some are trying to force the issue and set the time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »

Is ISIS really interested in bringing terror to our shores again or simply over-running Iraq?

Barry thinks so.

The Islamic extremists who have seized swathes of Iraq could destabilise the entire region and threaten the United States, President Barack Obama has warned.

The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) could spread conflict to neighbouring states and pose a “medium and long-term threat” to the US, Obama said in an interview aired on Sunday.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/22/obama-isis-pose-long-term-threat-to-us

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:24 pm »

Then the country shoulda paid attention to me back in 2003!!  Can't have it both ways - going round the world to satisfy some spoiled little a$$wipe whims - and not expect serious repercussions!!

Now, we are seeing the repercussions!  And I still say this is just one little piece of the big puzzle - other pieces we have seen lately are Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria.  US helping the Al Qaeda and Taliban types stitch together a large enough "critical mass" where they actually can cause us real issues!!  The full picture is to bring on "Armageddon".  Not the real one the Bible talks about, but the one that misguided zealots on the radical Christian side are trying to "force" God's hand with.  There would be repercussions to "tweaking" God, too!   If one believes in the Bible....since it does say no man knows the time, but some are trying to force the issue and set the time.

Would you prefer Saddam Hussein still be in power over Iraq? No hyperbole, no B.S. excuses. Just answer that question.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »

Would you prefer Saddam Hussein still be in power over Iraq? No hyperbole, no B.S. excuses. Just answer that question.

Absolutely with NO doubt whatsoever!  He was a stabilizing influence in the region - kept Iran in check.  He gave us a "bogey-man" to have a "single" point of focus for us to keep attention away from other sh$t here at home....always a flag waving moment in there somewhere...  He only had equipment and supplies that Germany and us gave him, so we DID have a known reference to work from - in spite of the lies we were told...and knew were lies from the get go.  

How many of today's radical groups now have some of Russia's missing fissionable material that is unaudited?  

We always had a military-industrial complex moment going so there was a known base of economic activity to offset the "threat" - even if it was contrived.  

And we would have over 4,000 of our kids and $2 trillion dollars back!  And I wouldn't even mind paying that $2 trillion just to keep those thousands alive plus the wounded intact and whole!!  This was in the top 1 or 2 of the most ignorant things we have done.  

There would also be about 800,000 Iraqi's alive today that we would not have been the direct proximate cause of death.  

This is all due to a complete lack of understanding of the mid-east by the Clown Show while making their "Mission Accomplished" poster.  We overlay our "John Wayne Cowboy" attitude over everything we do, making every problem and nail, and the only tool we have or understand is a hammer!!  Dealing with civilizations and cultures that are pretty much ALL hundreds and even thousands of years older than ours who do NOT adhere to our Western ways!

In much the same way we didn't understand Viet Nam.  And how we still don't understand China!  Anyone think for a second that they don't plan dozens to hundreds of years out??  Even though we have been told this repeatedly.... they are very likely working to secure their nation from outside intrusion so graphically exemplified by the Boxer War....and other insults.

This is why it went the way it did in 1991.  George H W was a VERY intelligent man, who understood global politics pretty well - MUCH better than Baby!!  (He has just gotta be SO proud of his son!!)  We stopped when we made the point that needed to be made!  And left the basic infrastructure intact giving a much more stable situation than today!  For about a decade.  And if Clinton didn't have the yammering ankle biters working against rather than with, better progress might have been made against Al Qaeda throughout the 90's....if more strikes than the one had been made, perhaps they would have eventually gotten Bin Laden and some of his buddies before turning them into martyrs....and breeding whole legions of new zealots!    Another example of how we just don't understand the radical religious fanaticism is how they can get so many true believers to carry a bomb into the middle of some place and set it off - we have the exact opposite philosophy of trying to preserve our fighters every chance we get.  Basic disconnect with reality.

Now, we are in the position where we will have to resort to mass killing of militants along with the civilians they are interspersed among.  Do you really believe we have the political will to kill another 2 to 3 million in pursuit of "stable" oil supplies??  Or to satisfy someone's ego??

No hyperbole!  No BS!  No excuses ever!

And I presume you think it was a "Noble Adventure"...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »

I respectfully disagree.

I hate war like few others, but Saddam Hussein needed to go.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:18 pm »

Sooo, Barry dithered while he knew ISIS was advancing, now he’s ready to do something as Baghdad appears ready to fall.  That’s some mighty fine leadership, right there.

Well, wait, he probably learned about the threat to Tikrit, Mosul, etc. when we all did: from the news.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:49 pm »

I respectfully disagree.

That's fine...I don't have a problem with people disagreeing... (you might have guessed that I enjoy a little "controversy" from time to time...).

The best testimony on the topic is to see what was happening before, and what is happening now.  Gotta ask yourselves if you felt more safe then, or now??

Addendum;  Afghanistan is a totally different story - not only was it justified, but demanded, as far as I am concerned.  Just a shame that we got diverted by BS for some many years - about 8 - and now are also dealing with the consequences of that neglect!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:33 pm »

I respectfully disagree.

Almost forgot....

Why did he need to go?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:48 pm »

I think we need to get out and stay out.  Destabilize the region?  Let the region take care of itself or let Russia or China or someone else get in there if they want, you could make as as much a case for them having as much interest as we do if not more. All the money and lives lost by our intervening could have been used to employ those lives to check every container, airplane, ship, etc. coming into this country as one example. Plus they wouldn't be as likely to be angry at us for some made up reason or another if we weren't involved and they were fighting their neighbors or someone else stupid enough to get involved.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 07:29:41 am »

Why did he need to go?

This from his wikipedia page...

...He convened an assembly of Ba'ath party leaders on 22 July 1979. During the assembly, which he ordered videotaped, Saddam claimed to have found a fifth column within the Ba'ath Party and directed Muhyi Abdel-Hussein to read out a confession and the names of 68 alleged co-conspirators. These members were labelled "disloyal" and were removed from the room one by one and taken into custody. After the list was read, Saddam congratulated those still seated in the room for their past and future loyalty. The 68 people arrested at the meeting were subsequently tried together and found guilty of treason. 22 were sentenced to execution. Other high-ranking members of the party formed the firing squad. By 1 August 1979, hundreds of high-ranking Ba'ath party members had been executed.

It was actions like this. He was brutal, vindictive, and unstable.

You can argue that it was not the United States responsibility to take him out, but you can't argue that he didn't need to go.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org