A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:48:52 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samsung and Child Labor  (Read 11243 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »

Have they started sub-contracting the children from Governor Fallin and her new Fort Sill Immigrant program?
Speaking of Mary Fallin those 2,000 Macy jobs Mary Fallin brought to Tulsa last year  are getting closer & closer to reality the workmen have finished the steel frame of the structure, next year the place should be open & hiring. Tulsa's labor force is already pretty darn tight, anyone who wants a job can find one in Tulsa. Tulsa will be having it's own labor shortage.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »

Samsung makes a lot of cell phones and electronic gear and I guess with the high demand they have to hire kids to keep  up with the demand. Is not LG and Samsung part of the same company?

Did you just say child labor is fine if they're busy?

And no, not the same company.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »

Samsung makes a lot of cell phones and electronic gear and I guess with the high demand they have to hire kids to keep  up with the demand. Is not LG and Samsung part of the same company?

No they aren't.  And no, they don't have to hire kids - they choose to because of what they are....

Your seat belt is obviously way to tight....  here's a little something that might help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1g2yKxb0I

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 09:34:07 am »

If there is not enough adults to do the job they have to turn to kids- the demand is increasing. Child labor is legal in many countries.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:42:56 am »

If there is not enough adults to do the job they have to turn to kids- the demand is increasing. Child labor is legal in many countries.

It's not that there aren't enough jobs, kids are cheaper.

That's why we have child labor laws. Children should be in school. I'm guessing you missed a lot of school.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »

This really IS breadburner in disguise, isn't it...?

That is at least in the top 2 or 3 of stupidest things I have heard....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:57 pm »

This really IS breadburner in disguise, isn't it...?

That is at least in the top 2 or 3 of stupidest things I have heard....

No, I know BB, it’s definitely not him.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:45 pm »

No, I know BB, it’s definitely not him.

Mmmmm....ok...I believe you.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

I'm not for child labor, I'm totally against it-- I'm just saying it happens and in many nations it's legal and the products they make are sold right here in the USA, the more demand there is for a item  the more children in 3rd world countries will be put to work making them  items. It is what it is and pretending it does not happen does not make it so. Child labor is not going to end anytime soon..  That's all I'm sayin'.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:05 pm »

I'm not for child labor, I'm totally against it-- I'm just saying it happens and in many nations it's legal and the products they make are sold right here in the USA, the more demand there is for a item  the more children in 3rd world countries will be put to work making them  items. It is what it is and pretending it does not happen does not make it so. Child labor is not going to end anytime soon..  That's all I'm sayin'.

And that is all very obvious.  What might actually help would be if US corporations performed actual, legitimate audits and put an end to the practices in the factories they deal with.  And if US consumers would pay attention and act accordingly - in this case, buy no Samsung until there is verifiable change from those audits.

It certainly won't end until good people in this country set their minds to making it end.  In the meantime, we are complacent and don't really care that much.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:56 am »

And that is all very obvious.  What might actually help would be if US corporations performed actual, legitimate audits and put an end to the practices in the factories they deal with.  And if US consumers would pay attention and act accordingly - in this case, buy no Samsung until there is verifiable change from those audits.

It certainly won't end until good people in this country set their minds to making it end.  In the meantime, we are complacent and don't really care that much.

But that won't happen, it's just wishful thinking. People are hooked on their 'Lectronic gear and will gobble that stuff  up no matter who makes them kids or adults down  in some 3rd world sweat factory. Many people like to turn a blind eye to child labor issue and pretend it's not happening or the problem of child labor is solved and proclaim it's not happening anymore in the 21st century. They are only foolin' themselves.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:41 am »

But that won't happen, it's just wishful thinking. People are hooked on their 'Lectronic gear and will gobble that stuff  up no matter who makes them kids or adults down  in some 3rd world sweat factory. Many people like to turn a blind eye to child labor issue and pretend it's not happening or the problem of child labor is solved and proclaim it's not happening anymore in the 21st century. They are only foolin' themselves.

Refreshing post - you do understand that part of human nature and it's application in the real world!  True!

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »

It's not that there aren't enough jobs, kids are cheaper.

That's why we have child labor laws. Children should be in school. I'm guessing you missed a lot of school.
WE have child labor laws in the USA- but the countries where the products are made do not have child labor laws, it's legal there- and  I guess the companies that have their products made in 3rd world countries turn a blind eye to the kids building the electronic gear, or they pretend it's not happening.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »

Fairly sure Samsung would fire my kids after the first day.

Let me put it this way. . .when you turn on my wife's Galaxy tablet it makes fart noises.  That was the work of the 6yo.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org