A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:09:11 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State capitol religious monuments  (Read 36042 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:16 am »

It is hard to trust a diety with his hand always in his pocket.

Most deities have their hands in someone else's pocket.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:31 am »

Who wants to start a kickstarter for a FSM monument?
http://www.kickstarter.com/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »

You knew the moratorium was right around the corner...

http://newsok.com/requests-from-satanists-other-groups-spur-call-for-oklahoma-capitol-monument-ban/article/3916036

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »

Seems a very selective moratorium, blocking some but not others.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:23 am »

Blatantly unconstitutional.  Not to mention hypocritical and just plan old BS.

If there was legitimate fear regarding the pending lawsuit, why not take down ALL monuments that are in question?  They created a "free speech zone" in an attempt to further their religion using the State, but when others wanted to exercise their free speech they immediately shut it down.

Among the most blatant use of Government to favor one expression over others.

Since when did the Christian God need so much help from the State of Oklahoma?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:03 am »

Blatantly unconstitutional.  Not to mention hypocritical and just plan old BS.

If there was legitimate fear regarding the pending lawsuit, why not take down ALL monuments that are in question?  They created a "free speech zone" in an attempt to further their religion using the State, but when others wanted to exercise their free speech they immediately shut it down.

Among the most blatant use of Government to favor one expression over others.

Since when did the Christian God need so much help from the State of Oklahoma?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 10:21:29 am »

Who's claiming to love religious freedom?
Certainly not those that thought the 10-c monument was a good idea.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

Who's claiming to love religious freedom?
Certainly not those that thought the 10-c monument was a good idea.

The point made is that many Christians freak out if a monument of the FSM is requested.  Or Buddha.  Or whatever.  Must have something to do with it making them feel like it invalidates their religion in some form or fashion.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TeeDub
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:12 pm »

FSM made the paper.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/no-spaghetti-monster-monument-yet-capitol-sets-moratorium-after-several/article_f818523d-540f-5274-bd04-aeac19b8196e.html
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 02:55:09 am »

Going back to the San Diego Cross controversy, that has been going on since 1913. What the 9th Circuit Court upheld was that it was written into the California State Constitution
Beginning in 1989, almost ten years before the immediate area around the cross was turned into a war memorial, and ongoing to the present, the Mt. Soledad Cross had been involved in a continuous litigation regarding its legal status. According to the cross's opponents' interpretation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and the No Preference Clause of the California Constitution, it is illegal to display a religious symbol, such as a Christian cross, on public land, as it demonstrates preference to a specific religion and thus violates the separation of church and state

It's been a manipulation and maneuvering issue for years with people trying to protect it, and what is written into the state constitution as a "No Preference" to keep the separation of Church and State. All the court did was uphold the state constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Soledad_cross_controversy

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:58:17 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 07:39:26 am »

Going back to the San Diego Cross controversy, that has been going on since 1913. What the 9th Circuit Court upheld was that it was written into the California State Constitution
It's been a manipulation and maneuvering issue for years with people trying to protect it, and what is written into the state constitution as a "No Preference" to keep the separation of Church and State. All the court did was uphold the state constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Soledad_cross_controversy

Ever read the California State Constitution?

It starts. . .
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
PREAMBLE

We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our
freedom, in order to secure and perpetuate its blessings, do establish this
Constitution.

The courts would need to do a lot of work to separate church from state in that state.  Wink

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 01:57:37 am »

Ever read the California State Constitution?

It starts. . .
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
PREAMBLE

We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our
freedom, in order to secure and perpetuate its blessings, do establish this
Constitution.

The courts would need to do a lot of work to separate church from state in that state.  Wink

I think the courts would be backed up for decades trying to do that for every state.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:18 am »

I didnt know it was so functional... kids can come to Oklahoma and sit on Satan's lap. 

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/06/satanic-temple-unveils-7-foot-goat-headed-baphomet-statue-for-oklahoma-capitol/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 07:00:22 am »

"
Lawmakers in Oklahoma, however, have insisted that the Satanists should not be given the same treatment as Christians.

“This is a faith-based nation and a faith-based state,” Rep. Earl Sears (R-Bartlesville) said. “I think it is very offensive they would contemplate or even have this kind of conversation.”"

...and that is the very core of why state endorsement of ANY religion is wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:17 am »

“You are free to practice any religion you choose, as long as it’s Christianity."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org