A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:26:58 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid-town WalMart Market in old Homelands : 31st & Harvard  (Read 29267 times)
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:06 am »

I had spoken to the management company for Ranch Acres Mall about trashed dumped behind the old Homelands... I found some mail in one of the bags... yes I do this sort of thing, and she told me today that the building will start construction in a few days by WalMart for a food only center.

She also said the whole mall will receive updating.

First we get Natural Groceries, then Sprouts, now WalMart...  Food options galore for this neighborhood.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:41:11 pm »

What is a "food only" center?  Does that mean only groceries, but no toilet paper?  Or does that mean prepared meals?  Or what? 

The Homeland is a pretty large store with a humongous parking lot and ridiculously deep setback.  You could actually tear down the Homeland and really open up some options to connect the front and back sides of Ranch Acres and create a more cohesive shopping mall (a la Utica Square).  Build new retail space in line with those along Harvard, create landscaped courtyards and pleasant areas for restaurants and shops...Add a green buffer between Harvard and the existing front side of the strip mall. Turn it into more of a "square"--or at least a "U."  Both the front and back sides of Ranch Acres have deep overhangs that provide a nice amount of shade for pedestrians / window shopping.  Landscaping could go a long way towards improving the site.  A developer with some imagination who wanted to play up the mid-century motif could really work some magic.  It could be cool. There's so much space and so much potential. 

But certainly no need for additional grocery stores in that area.  (Reasors at 41st and Yale, Reasors at 51st and Harvard, Sprouts at 41st and Harvard, Natural Groceries at 31st and Harvard, Akins at 31st and Harvard, Reasors at 21st and Yale, Walmart Neighborhood Market at 21st and Yale...)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:02:47 pm »

What is a "food only" center?  Does that mean only groceries, but no toilet paper?  Or does that mean prepared meals?  Or what? 

The Homeland is a pretty large store with a humongous parking lot and ridiculously deep setback.  You could actually tear down the Homeland and really open up some options to connect the front and back sides of Ranch Acres and create a more cohesive shopping mall (a la Utica Square).  Build new retail space in line with those along Harvard, create landscaped courtyards and pleasant areas for restaurants and shops...Add a green buffer between Harvard and the existing front side of the strip mall. Turn it into more of a "square"--or at least a "U."  Both the front and back sides of Ranch Acres have deep overhangs that provide a nice amount of shade for pedestrians / window shopping.  Landscaping could go a long way towards improving the site.  A developer with some imagination who wanted to play up the mid-century motif could really work some magic.  It could be cool. There's so much space and so much potential. 

But certainly no need for additional grocery stores in that area.  (Reasors at 41st and Yale, Reasors at 51st and Harvard, Sprouts at 41st and Harvard, Natural Groceries at 31st and Harvard, Akins at 31st and Harvard, Reasors at 21st and Yale, Walmart Neighborhood Market at 21st and Yale...)

Means it's like the Wal Marts at 31st/Garnett, 44th/Peoria, 21st/Yale (Neighborhood Markets..they sell typically what most grocery stores sell and no more).  Since my mother has been in respite care for the last 10 days or so, I've taken a liking to the Wal Mart at 81st and Sheridan since it's out by where she's out.  Clean and easy to deal with the people there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

During its heyday, with the Med-X occupying the corner spot on the front strip and when Safeway/Homeland was still a decent store, the parking lot stayed pretty full during business hours.  They will need every bit of that parking if WalMart Market goes in.

I agree though, we really aren’t in need of another grocery store in the area and your idea to re-purpose Ranch Acres would be pretty nice.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

I'm not sure Akins & Natural Grocers count.   unless you consume mostly vitamins and supplements.
41st & Yale Reasors needs some competition
Sprouts opens in about 2 weeks..   here's hoping it's a viable option.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »

I'm not sure Akins & Natural Grocers count.   unless you consume mostly vitamins and supplements.
41st & Yale Reasors needs some competition
Sprouts opens in about 2 weeks..   here's hoping it's a viable option.

Natural grocers actually has quite a good size produce department, meat selection and bulk goods.  Small market is a good definition for Natural Grocers. Last time I was in Akins, they have a reasonable selection of grocery items as well but seem somewhat more supplement-oriented than NG.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »

I have no problem with this, in fact I like it. BTW in many cities Wal-Mart does not market a food only store. Columbus, Ohio has no Wal-Mart Food  Market centers they  only have the regular Wal-Mart Super Centers that sell everything. Omaha, NE also has no Wal-Mart Food Only Centers. Huh

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »

Personally I wish Tulsa would get Kroger stores and Hy-Vee stores, dunno why they don't market in Oklahoma. Texas has Kroger stores. The mid-west states of Ohio, Indiana & Michigan have Meijer Stores they have real good in store bakeries. Meijers is a bit like a Wal-Mart Supercenter they also are open 24/7 and closed only on Christmas..  http://www.meijer.com
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:53:44 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »

According to this, WMM is tearing down the Homeland and going with new construction on the site.

Construction is underway on a new Walmart Neighborhood Market grocery store near 31st Street and Harvard Avenue, on the site of a shuttered Homeland.

Crossland Construction, the general contractor on the project for Walmart, is in the process of completely demolishing the former Homeland building and constructing a new 30,354 square-foot facility, said Mindy Stahl, project manager for Crossland.

She said construction should be finished in May, with the Neighborhood Market opening for business in June.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/walmart-neighborhood-market-coming-to-st-and-harvard/article_a1aca12a-73ec-11e3-b77a-001a4bcf6878.html

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:19:11 pm »

Personally I wish Tulsa would get Kroger stores and Hy-Vee stores, dunno why they don't market in Oklahoma. Texas has Kroger stores. The mid-west states of Ohio, Indiana & Michigan have Meijer Stores they have real good in store bakeries. Meijers is a bit like a Wal-Mart Supercenter they also are open 24/7 and closed only on Christmas..  http://www.meijer.com

I lived in Texas and Krogers was really expensive compared to their competitors without any real distinction in quality.  It was the same with Albertsons.  Tom Thumb was the better grocery store for everyday grocery shopping.  Central Market is the king of the hill though.  You pay more but its well worth it if you have the budget for it.  I don't have any experience with the other chains you mention.  I wouldn't think that there wouldn't be much room for them in this market because Reasors does really well and is not overpriced.  Between them and the Walmarts and smaller stores in town I think this market is pretty well covered.  I would love to see Central Market come into Tulsa though.  Ir seriously blows Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc., out of the water.  It's that good.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »

I lived in Texas and Krogers was really expensive compared to their competitors without any real distinction in quality.  It was the same with Albertsons.  Tom Thumb was the better grocery store for everyday grocery shopping.  Central Market is the king of the hill though.  You pay more but its well worth it if you have the budget for it.  I don't have any experience with the other chains you mention.  I wouldn't think that there wouldn't be much room for them in this market because Reasors does really well and is not overpriced.  Between them and the Walmarts and smaller stores in town I think this market is pretty well covered.  I would love to see Central Market come into Tulsa though.  Ir seriously blows Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc., out of the water.  It's that good.

Not familiar with Central Market, United Grocers has a Market Street concept in Wichita Falls which is outstanding, great liquor, wine, and beer selection as well as hot prepared foods ready to eat on site or take home.  Sounds like a similar concept.

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 05:25:09 pm »

I had spoken to the management company for Ranch Acres Mall about trashed dumped behind the old Homelands... I found some mail in one of the bags... yes I do this sort of thing, and she told me today that the building will start construction in a few days by WalMart for a food only center.

She also said the whole mall will receive updating.

First we get Natural Groceries, then Sprouts, now WalMart...  Food options galore for this neighborhood.

WM is my store of last resort.  Fortunately, having no traffic light leading out of the parking lot gives me an additional reason to never stop and shop there.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »

When I lived in Houston in the early 90s, Kroger was just getting started there.  I was not really a huge fan, but the alternatives were Randall's (think the Houston area's Reasor's as a local grocer) and Wal-Mart was just starting to roll out their grocery stores at the time.  We typically went to Randall's, but in time Kroger started to be a little more competitive.

However, this was around 1992 and 1993, so much has changed, I'm sure.  Randall's was the first place I could use a debit card to pay for groceries without an extra fee since they had an agreement with FIB (First Interstate Bank).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:06 pm »

When I lived in Houston in the early 90s, Kroger was just getting started there.  I was not really a huge fan, but the alternatives were Randall's (think the Houston area's Reasor's as a local grocer) and Wal-Mart was just starting to roll out their grocery stores at the time.  We typically went to Randall's, but in time Kroger started to be a little more competitive.

However, this was around 1992 and 1993, so much has changed, I'm sure.  Randall's was the first place I could use a debit card to pay for groceries without an extra fee since they had an agreement with FIB (First Interstate Bank).

What does this have to do with the new WM?

I'm just pulling your chain ...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:20 pm »

What does this have to do with the new WM?

I'm just pulling your chain ...

I'm hoping you see I'm replying to DD.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org