A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:49:01 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Securities Law Overhaul Is Coming  (Read 1326 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:40 am »

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-25/securities-law-overhaul-in-u-s-is-approved-by-panel.html

I've not had a chance to digest it all.  One thing I do not like in it is additional fees to lenders which creates yet one more "watchdog" agency.  Why don't we gut the ineffective one which was supposedly the watchdog before and start over?

And according to a former FDIC chairman:  “It doesn’t reform anything, not anything that needs to be reformed,” said William Isaac, the former chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and now chairman of Fifth Third Bancorp, in a June 23 interview. “We haven’t done anything to repair this 100-year-old regulatory structure.”

I've also got a problem with this being called the "Dodd-Frank Bill".  Two of the most morally bankrupt politicians in D.C.  On the first skim read, it's obvious every lawmaker is getting little exceptions written into the legislation to help out their most coveted donors contituents.  No less than Sen. Scott Brown got some parts watered down for fear of what it could do with State Street Corp.

"The change, offered by Dodd, alters language in a bill the Senate approved in May, which would have barred banks from sponsoring or investing in private-equity and hedge funds. Lawmakers offered the modification to appease Senator Scott Brown, a Massachusetts Republican who was concerned the ban would harm Boston-based State Street Corp. He was one of four Republicans to break party ranks and vote for the Senate bill."

I'm sure there's some useful regulation in here, but most of it smells like the same corrupt crap we've been getting out of Washington for years.  I think the goal is to rush this through by November, the incumbents who helped out their friends in the banking and finance industry all get plumb jobs after the voters revolt.

If someone doesn't mind, please read over the sections on the credit swaps and derivatives, those still confuse me and I can't tell specifically that they are doing anything to reign them in.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:42 am »

There are enough anti regulation democrats to go along with the 100% anti-regulation republican's (there only needs to be 2 or 3 right).  So thus, all meaningful change has to be stripped from the bill just so they can act like they passed something.  When they all know it does nothing.  Have you not been following the last year and a half?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:49 am »

There are enough anti regulation democrats to go along with the 100% anti-regulation republican's (there only needs to be 2 or 3 right).  So thus, all meaningful change has to be stripped from the bill just so they can act like they passed something.  When they all know it does nothing.  Have you not been following the last year and a half?

No actually, I've been drinking a lot heavier since the Nov. '08 elections.  I miss a lot.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org